"New" Returning player

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Cragoth, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Cragoth New Member

Hi all. I haven't played since Lost Dungeons of Norrath expansion was going, so about 13 or so years. I've heard good things going on with the game and I miss what started it all for me so I've decided to give it another run. The only problem I'm having now is I have no idea where to start. So, I'm here for some help from the community, which was wonderful to me when I played a long time ago. I used to play on the Druzzil Ro server on a Barb Warrior named Cragoth, not sure if anybody I used to play with is still around but that would be great if I could reconnect to some old friends.

I'm looking to find some information on the servers, where to start, any newbie friendly guilds. I like to be surrounded by people like myself, who like grouping up, hanging out and killing mobs and chatting about random things. Not really into hard core raiding but wouldn't be opposed to doing it casually. I really want to experience the leveling up and making friends part that made the game so fun for me back then. I've heard that the free to play servers are pretty bare at low levels and it's mostly a solo grind.

Ok, this is getting long winded, my questions are - are there still newbie friendly and helpful guilds around? What servers would be best for someone starting new? I'm interested in maybe the mage or enchanter class, how have they fared in the past 14 years? And would it be painful to start and level up by myself if I have to? Thanks for any advice.
    Truespeed likes this.
  2. Treiln Augur

Servers: live) on my server [Xegony], theres 2 major guilds that love new/returning players. Massive guilds, people always on from those guilds. Dharken Rhal and Lions of the Heart (or something similar =/)

Both Mages and Enchanters are in a good spot. Both can solo fairly easily. Mage more so with pet tanking. Enchanters will take some research and a bit of trial and error to get used to though.

Level 1-60 can be done in a weekend easily enough. Grab yourself a tank merc and watch it pretty much PL you. Gets a bit tougher after 60 though. Groups become more common around 85-90
    Truespeed likes this.
  3. Yruc Augur

Howdy and welcome back.

1st place to start is to get your old account back and use it for veteran rewards. It is definitely worth the effort to get your old account back.
    https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/217481518-How-do-I-recover-my-account-

If you know which server you played on, your characters as long as over 10 should still be there, there have been a couple of low level wipes of inactive characters below 10. If you are not sure where your server is with all the mergers that happened check this list.

https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/231264868-Server-Merge-History

2nd thing to do would be to try out both enchanter and mage on a live server in one of the tutorials. The tutorial is very good and will give you an idea of how the class is.

On live / free to play servers below 85-90 you are pretty much on your own. You might find someone leveling up an alt, but rare to do so. Check the guild recruitment forums and see about an guilds that might be a fit or post in there looking for a guild to help new / returning players (there are a few that do)

If you want to group with people in low level content if you have a subscription you could try out one of the TLP servers. Phinigel / Agnarr are the two popular ones.

Phinigel - This server started out as classic and is currently at Lost Dungeons of Norrath and will continue to the latest one so at some point all expansions will be available here. Finding a group isn't to bad

Agnarr - Just launched and is currently in the Classic period and will only go up to Lost Dungeons of Norrath before stopping and no more new content will be available. - this appeals to a lot of the old timers memories of the game though it is different (No corpse runs / no Hell Levels etc). Very easy to get a group but gearing your self up is a lot harder as the newbie armor quests / newbie armor drops from later expansions are not in the game yet, so harder to equip your character but every has that problem...
    Truespeed likes this.
  4. Anhari Augur

Since you were on Druzzel Ro, your characters should be on Xenogy, which is good news. One of the most active, newbie, helpful guilds is Lions of the Heart. On Average, there are about 50-60 players online at peak times, somewhat lower during the off hours, but it seems to always have someone on. One warning if you get into the guild. Turn OFF show offline players in guild management window. There are over 4000 members total in the guild, many of which have moved on, so they clutter the management window and cause significant lag when it is coming up.

On the Rathe, my favorite guild is TED (The Eternal Darkness), a great family guild with many helpful and wonderful members.

For now I would suggest that you play the live servers. Experience is faster, the gear is easier to get, much higher population and that makes buying/selling easier/ Oh and yes, there is a tutorial where you can make some plat, get some good starting gear, and most importantly, learn the mechanics of the game again.

Mercs are your friends on Live sub 60.

One other option is to go Heroic. For 3500 DBC, you can bump a character to 85th level, get some fair gear and 15K plat plus a couple of big bags (40 slots). I would suggest that you play for a while before going this route, if not, you will be overwhelmed. (You will still be lost later, but it won't be so bad!).

As to classes, mage can solo/malo very effectively with their pets, while Enchanters are still the kings of Crowd Contol and charming. Both have their proponents but I enjoy both classes, and at the end game they are both needed for raids. You will find a lot of mage "box-crews" but I attest this to the ease of setting up the required macros to control them. (Besides, I hear running a 6 box mage crew is fun)!

Welcome back, and I hope this helps.
  5. Cragoth New Member

Thanks for all the replies everybody, I jumped right in yesterday on Xegony D-Ro and even got one of my buddies to play with me. Leveled a mage to 10 solo and shaman with my friend, it was awesome playing through the tutorial and learning again. I will be looking to talk to some people in the guilds you mentioned and see if one of them is for me. Once I left the tutorial zone though I must admit I was a little lost, I got outside and talked to a quest giver right at the entrance and started doing her quests and realized they're way too low for me. So I could use a little guidance there, should I stay in Crescent Reach and level around there or am I done there? I did a little exploring and found groups of skeletons that con red to me so I'm assuming I can level here until a certain point, which was my plan but I don't want to miss out on any quests that can give me a leg up with maybe some good gear. I tried to look up some quests but I have no idea what I'm looking for or how outdated the content I'm looking at is. All in all I'm having a blast being back and exploring Norrath again.
    moogs likes this.
  6. moogs Augur

7. Cragoth New Member

Thanks for the link Moogs, I'll definitely check it out in a little bit. One thing I forgot to mention was the complete confusion with this loot system while grouped. I had it set to ask/roll most of the time and some times I would roll but most times I wouldn't. My friend ended up with almost all of the loot and full bags the whole time while I was scraping by. Not really a big deal, we can just share our coin but I would like to understand it more and the sites I've pulled up on it don't really shed much light on why I'm not rolling for it.
  8. moogs Augur

Ah, yeah...it's confusing but it's not bad once you get the hang of it. It ends up saving a whole lot of time. I recorded this a few months ago to demonstrate how it's beneficial when soloing. Meant to do another video of how it works for groups, but you should be able to figure it out (or maybe someone else has recorded a video on it by now).

Truespeed likes this.
  9. Cragoth New Member

Thanks again moogs. I watched yours and another video on it and think I have it a bit figured out. Wish I could remember the name of my old guild now to see if they're still around but maybe one day it'll pop in my head. Just realized I put the wrong name for my warrior in the beginning post too, his name was Jenco. 14 years is a long time though haha. Thanks again for all the help!
    Truespeed and moogs like this.
  10. Yruc Augur

Here is Daybreak's own advanced looting guide

https://www.everquest.com/news/advanced-looting-system

One thing it does not mention is that you need to goto your options and turn on auto split (it is defaulted to off) and if you don't want the window to pop up unless there is any new loot then check the Show on new items only box as well.
    Truespeed and moogs like this.
  11. Cragoth New Member

Thanks Yruc, I've watched a few videos and read through your link an I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of it. One of my problems was that the default window size was too small and I didn't see all of the buttons available haha.