Brand New Player

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Adagio212, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Adagio212 New Member

Brand new player here looking for honest opinions

Having never touched EQ I figured it has to be a good game to still have the active community that it does so I'm going to give it a try tomorrow (downloading now)

I saw where there are time locked progression servers. Simply wanting to know if it would be best to start there or a standard server having never played the game before?

Any other info you would like to drop would be greatly appreciated as well, I'll probably be watching youtube videos and reading forums all day tomorrow at work.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Not to go into huge amounts of info that will leave you lost right at the start - I would suggest you start with the free account. Make a level 1 character of your choice, go thru the tutorial ALL the way. When you are done with it you will have armor, weapons, a bag (if you look it up) a merc to help you fight and some plat. Maybe when your done with that go out and explore a little. Now if at this point you like the game then consider getting a paid subscription and going to Agnarr or one of the other locked servers. Agnar is a lot like the tutorial - not as easy though - and is geared towards lower characters and grouping/exploring/questing like in the old days. If you come to a normal server you will still have fun but its kinda solo with your merc (molo) until higher levels, then you can get groups and join a guild for raids.
    Herf likes this.
  3. Sagarmatha Augur

I suggest playing on Agnarr if you're looking for what many of the veterans experienced during Everquest's beginning years. There are groups (and friendships) to be had at all levels. Community is truly what defined classic EQ, and is a magical part of the game.
  4. Adagio212 New Member

very well, sounds like its time to start the tutorial and then to agnarr! thanks for the quick responses
  5. Yruc Augur

As CatsPaws suggested, I would start on one of the free to play servers for the first few hours to give you a feel for how the game is. The tutorial is really good, just make sure you read the information. After trying a couple classes out, then you can make a decision on whether or not to play on one of the TLP servers.

Live servers - they are free to play and are old, some have players from 18 years ago... So that means lots and lots of people at the high end very few low level people. Occasionally you will find a group leveling up an alt, but it will be very rare. It will be hard to find a group before 85-90. For most of that time you really don't need a group, but sometimes better to play with others for the social interaction. You can check and see if you can find a friendly guild that may help you out as some of the servers have really helpful guilds that do help new / returning players. All expansions are unlocked so all available content is open to you. As for which one to choose, post in the looking for a guild section to see if there are any guilds that will help you and join that server or pick one from this list with the highest population during your normal play time. https://www.daybreakgames.com/status?locale=en_US

TLP Servers - ( https://www.everquest.com/news/eq-what-is-a-progression-server ) there are several, but the 2 most popular are Agnarr (newest) and Phinigel. The all require a paid subscription to play

Phinigel - This server started out as classic and is currently at Lost Dungeons of Norrath and will continue to the latest one so at some point all expansions will be available here. Finding a group isn't to bad

Agnarr - Just launched and is currently in the Classic period and will only go up to Lost Dungeons of Norrath before stopping and no more new content will be available. - this appeals to a lot of the old timers memories of the game though it is different. Very easy to get a group but gearing your self up is a lot harder as the newbie armor quests / newbie armor drops from later expansions are not in the game yet, so harder to equip your character, which is fine if caster, but a little harder on the melee types...

If you do go TLP servers I believe you could transfer off to one of the live servers (paid service to do).. So you could do agnarr and get to max level at the last expansion (65 or 70 can't remember) then transfer that character to a live server to experience the rest of the game if you wanted... You will not be allowed to transfer to a TLP server though. So can't start on live then move to TLP.. Just FYI..

Have fun and let us know where you end up.
  6. Adagio212 New Member

Thanks for the response Yruc,

Going through the tutorial now on a bard (class fascinates me).

From what you said im thinking i will end up on Phinigel. Dont wanna be completely locked later on, dont want to play solo all the time( would probably just play pillars of eternity if i did) so that seems like the best option! After the tutorial ill leave my in-game name here!

Thanks again!
    Truespeed likes this.
  7. Yruc Augur

I think Phinigel may have a tutorial now, I can't remember what expansion that it came out with, but I *think* it is there now, but no mercenaries yet.
  8. Scorrpio Augur

I really dunno just how much easier it is going to be to socialize on TLPs. Agnarr is a hardcore nostalgia appeal, and its anyone's guess how long it will last for most. Most folks going there are mainly old-timers and finding a steady group that will not leave you behind real soon may be tough. Then again, I did not play on Agnarr, I got my fill of classic EQ back when it was classic.
    IMHO, these days live servers offer a lot more. Sure, finding groups untill you are solidly in range of lvl 105s may be problematic, but till then, mercs, heroic adventures and progression quests are there to help you along. And decent gear is a lot easier to obtain.
    Truespeed likes this.
  9. Adagio212 New Member

Just started on Phinigel, any leveling guilds on live or Phinigel wanna pickup a complete stranger to this game? (I realize a leveling guild on a live server probably doesnt exsist lol)

a whooping lvl 4 atm (tutorial is supposed to take me some time right?)
  10. Yruc Augur

There are some guilds that help new and returning players. Check the posts in the Guild Recruitment forums or post in there telling about yourself. https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?forums/guild-recruitment.25/

As for leveling on Phinigel the XP rate on Phinigel is like it was in the original classic (ie it is slower to level there than on Live servers). At some point the experience rate will increase but not a lot of details available on it yet (https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...etween-tlp-servers.241615/page-2#post-3553180)

By the end of the tutorial you should be around level 10 and if you have completed all the quests you should have a full set of gloomingdeep armor and have around 100 plat +/- 30 and depending on how many times you run through the zone and raid the barrels and how many spells you buy (don't need every one)
  11. Scorrpio Augur

A couple extra things: EQ Interface can be a touch clunky. I recommend visiting EQInterface.com and checking out various UI layouts. I am highly partial to Drakah UI set.
    http://www.eqinterface.com/downloads/index.php?cid=22&dp=0&sh=full&so=desc&sb=lastupdate

Maps you get by default,suck. Get Good's Map pack.
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/goods-maps-pack.236858/

Allakhazam is a massive database of everything about zones, mobs, gear, quests, tradeskill recipes, you name it. But almost unusable with all ads on. The premium membership is totally worth it.
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/
    Truespeed and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  12. Adagio212 New Member

Seriously can't thank you guys enough. This has been a fairly overwhelming process and you guys have smoothed it exponentially i think lol.
    moogs likes this.
  13. Anhari Augur

If you want to do tradeskills, then your best resource is EQ Traders. Den mum and her hubby the Ogre are nice people, even though Ngreth is a bit stinky, but they have a good group of volunteers who help keep the database up to date.

a good leveling guide is Almars EQ Guide. He has normal guides, progression guides and guides on making plat. He does suggest boxing, but it is NOT a requirement.
    Nennius likes this.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

mis-post accidental necro sorry