Playing by Remote Desktop??

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Elivo11, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Elivo11 Journeyman

Is it possible to play EQ via Remote Desktop while on a laptop at work? Also the wifi at my work blocks me from just logging into EQ on my laptop, will this also happen with remote desk top? I'm sort of all out of options on how to get in game at work and this is pretty much my last ditch attempt. Until they come out with a new jailbreak and I'll just tether my phone to the laptop, but until then I feel I am out of options!!!
  2. Basak Augur

I played remotely on my phone connected to my desktop, not a lot I would be able to do but it leat me pretty much just tradeskill or farming. Wasn't able to be effective in groups.
  3. Senadin Elder

Seems a google search claims Chrome remote desktop work....
  4. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

When you are using your work network they can "see" where you are trying to connect to. They likely have standard filters in place for things which include games, , etc. If they allow RDP, they see that connection. Once you are connected to your machine via RDP, the connection the remote machine is using is outside their network but, RDP is not designed for gaming.

You might look into a VPN (Virtual Private Network). You would use your work connection to connect to your VPN. Once connected, all communication between your machine and the VPN is encrypted and your work network just sees traffic going between your machine and the network that your VPN is on, they cannot see where you are connecting to through the VPN.

This is not to say they will not block this but it is likely not blocked by default. It is their network, they can do whatever they want with it.
  5. Aurastrider Augur

I am just jealous that you get to even play EQ at work. Damn I am in the wrong line of work :)
    Whulfgar likes this.
  6. Anhari Augur

I was going to say that you have entirely too much time on your hands at WORK. When you are there, the company is paying you to do your job, not play a game that is as immersive as EQ. (manager hat!). I will also expect that your company will block VPN and Remote Access for that very reason. If you need a VPN then they will open a tunnel to the one you are allowed to access. Just play the game when you are at home please!

That being said, I was introduced to EQ back in 2000 by one of my emplpyee's who was playing it on his lunch hour moving his Ogre warrior over to the Overthere via the raft. I bought the game, Ruins of Kunark and Scars of Velious and created my first character on The Rathe. While he did help get me a few pieces of gear, we never really connected online so we were never really able to discuss the game.

We (the company), while tolerant in almost everything we did, were fairly strict on game play. Lunch time, after hours, before work, but during the 8 hours (or more) a day that we pay you for, you are expected to do your job. After hours we were known to have LAN parties and play some really intense first person shoot outs (I forget which game it was).
    svann and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  7. fortuneteller Augur

Afraid you got a problem. You too addicted to EQ.

And second problem is that you probably very close to be without a job. Because they block EQ, which Means they dont want you to play EQ at Work, and if you do that, its asking for trouble.

They are 100% sure to be able to catch you, if you do that. And if you have time to play EQ, its means you too little work, and I am sure they will fast be able to find someone doing more.

Be smart, and dont volunteer to go into a queue, the unemployed queue.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Whulfgar like this.
  8. Senadin Elder

Way too many people assume he isnt the boss or work for himself or that his work even (dis)allows it! Until people abused it, i was able to! I work for a company who has 20K plus employees... Well that is OUR dept was ok with it... (probably 95% of the company couldnt) Not all jobs out there they treat you like zombie slaves!
  9. moogs Augur

It was 15 years ago, but my boss at the time had a PC in his office with EQ installed and another Linux system with some certain...let's call it EQ companion software, and I don't mean EQIM. While you're at the office you're expected to get your work done on time and do it well the first time, but for certain job roles (IT, consulting projects, etc.) the work comes in cycles. It can be dead quiet for days or weeks at a time and other times you have to bust to save the world. If you work in IT you should be busy only 70% of the time so that when it really hits the fan you can drop everything and fix it. (My boss' words, not mine.) What you do on your lunch break should be nobody's business.

It's been a long time (10 years) since I tried it out. I just wanted to log into my trader to manage prices during my lunch break. Playing over RDP was possible but the frame rates were extremely low. The reason is that RDP was not coded very efficiently. An application that requires the display of a high resolution window chewed through more bandwidth than RDP and a VPN service were able to provide back then (we had a T1 line, so it was 1.5 Mbps). The problem was that rendering 2,073,600 pixels (1920x1080 resolution) at 32-bit color depth required too much bandwidth to maintain anything close to 30 frames per second. Yes, I could log in to EQ. I could click on windows and with a lot of frustration I could even set out to do what I wanted. It just wasn't worth it because it was way too slow to be reasonably useful. Perhaps things have changed by now. (You're better off just using TeamViewer or something, seriously.)
  10. Sissruukk Rogue One

I work for the gubment....its always their business...
  11. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

We definitely do not live in a world like this. An employer can terminate employment for what you do on your time. Figuring this stuff out even before hiring someone is a growing business. Setting all that aside, what you do on a network you do not own is certainly somebody's business if the somebody decides it should be. As others have said, exercise caution if you really need the job.
  12. smash Augur

My opinion is that if you at work but play games, even if only lunch break, then you in wrong place and do not deserve that work.

You become an impediment for your employer, due to risk of malware/virus.
    Also if some client comes past, it gives your employeer bad reputation of not being professional.

You also cause of not doing 100% work causing loss of profit.
  13. Cleaver Augur

Stream your desktop in real time at home using OBS. Then find a software to control your computers keyboard/mouse from at work. Might have a small delay though.
  14. moogs Augur

Those are perfectly reasonable opinions and they are valid in most cases. At the risk of sounding arrogant, we don't get viruses because I am the one monitoring our network and systems. I don't really play games at work, but no one minds if I have Steam running while I'm at the office; other users like to have Netflix or Pandora or have a soccer match streaming while they get their stuff done. All of us will instantly drop everything if someone or something needs our undivided attention.

I work with a number of highly intelligent people, we're very productive as individuals and as a whole, and we understand that we don't work on a factory assembly line but instead the modern workforce has fewer distinctions between work and home. We treat each other as adults and it works for us. (For the record, I'm in my 12th year here.) Obviously things are different at other companies, in other industries, and in different job functions.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  15. Sausageparty New Member

Hey man, don't listen to these 9- 5 zombies. If you have the opportunity at work to chill and play video games , doo it! I work my off and would love to take advantage of something like that. EQ is addicting true but lets be real its still the best mmo so its hard to not sometimes. Do push ups at work too while LfG . Back to the topic.. i think teamviewer prog can work from your phone or laptop. Try WTFfast for a VPN. GL. Just have fun and make sure rent is paid my friend
  16. Scorrpio Augur

If company blocks EQ, it is for a reason. They will likely block RD to an unknown external host as well. If things are so laid back, why not go and ask to unblock EQ? If you think the answer will be no, probably best to rethink your desire to play it.

If you wanna do it at your own risk, just use your phone as a hotspot. Though you might want to consider an unlimited plan. It will definitely beat using RD.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  17. Bigstomp Augur

I've seen it done. I'm not sure how well it would work to actually "play" vs just log in and chit chat. But it can be done.
  18. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Isn't there something older and less informative we could bump? That angry Flash of Light guy from p99 thread maybe?
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  19. moogs Augur

IblisTheMage likes this.
  20. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

If he was working for himself or the boss one would think he could have the network changed to allow connection to gaming sites... just saying.

Or hey maybe he figures he should only get to play if he can find a way to get a connection just like his employees would have to. Yeah that's the ticket!

All that being said some people have jobs where they basically have to just be there and wait for things to happen that they need to respond to. If they have time on their hands nothing wrong with seeing if a change can be made to network permissions though they may not want to from a security perspective.
    code-zero likes this.