<SYSTMWIDE_MESSAGE>

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by doah, Jun 22, 2017.

1. -wycca Augur

I think this is a good goal too.
  2. Machentoo Augur

While we are at it, we are not too far from every single systemwide message being listed as "a chest" or some variation thereof (already seeing some of that with ldon... In a few later expansions, every single event is shown as "a chest".) If we are updating systemwide messages could we look at changing these to actual boss or event names?
    Finchy likes this.
  3. -wycca Augur

The true overlords of Norrath were ironically descended from -
    [IMG]
    snailish and Machentoo like this.
  4. Kloven Elder

I think the additional point is a number of these "events" are not uniquely named. I just saw a Cazic-Thule system-wide message and I'm pretty sure he didn't just die in Plane of Fear but in Plane of Time.

If the devs are evaluating this please keep in mind the variations of the same gods we'll see over expansions. Perhaps the point of just not showing messages when a server was "X expansions past" that zone/content which came up earlier in the thread would help.
  5. Kloven Elder

Nevermind expiring by expansion, we have duplicative event names in the same expansion. Bertoxxulous in CoD versus Time for example.
  6. taliefer Augur

just for a different perspective, i like the serverwides. makes the servers feel lively.

altho i would agree things like nest dragons in ww dont need serverwides
  7. Machentoo Augur

I'd love to see them keep them as is but split them off into a separate category other than systemwide message. Something that could be filtered to a window all by itself for people who don't want them.
  8. AgentofChange Augur

Don't think anyone is arguing that serverwides are bad, but when you have 28 serverwides for Plane of Time before even getting to phase 4, I think you may be going a little overboard...
  9. Ngreth Thergn Developer

Well, many things are possible.

This would likely take a larger amount of work than we will spend because at the time of the kill the game itself does not have the necessary data to make the determination that the kill is an "irrelevant" kill.
  10. Ngreth Thergn Developer

We do have a solution for this, BUT it will take backfill time. I.E. it has to be scheduled in. You won't notice it for a while, but Empires of Kunark uses a new method that announces the event/boss and not the chest.
  11. snailish Augur

Not in game to check, and not an ideal workaround... but...

create a new chat window. Isolate the filter you don't like into that window (i.e., serverwides). Minimize that window. I know people that do this for various chat-filterable things.

The obvious problem with this is that serverwide includes important info at times, not just the flavor of the significant kills.

Maybe it is easier to create a new type of serverwide for GM/Dev speak?

Would it be useful to have a filter option for any type of chat to "not show" instead of just selecting a destination window?
  12. Ngreth Thergn Developer

During a lunch conversation, I did think of a compromise for the system messages. While I won't know the era of a kill, we do know how many times that event has been killed. It would be relatively easy to have it stop after x kills, say.... 10.

Is there a reasonable interest in that?
  13. AgentofChange Augur

While this could work, it will end up with 1 or 2 guilds getting all 10 serverwides and then they'll be gone forever. It's kind of nice to see smaller guilds pick up a serverwide for their first kill.

The better solution is to just make the serverwides apply to end of expansion bosses. I'm not even sure why this was changed originally it was perfect at the start, then you added more which was a little silly, then you added EVERYTHING which was just straight awful.

Just make the expansion boss give a serverwide, it's that simple.
  14. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

This sounds promising! Personally I'd pick a slightly higher number, like maybe 25 or even 50. Seeing a systemwide when your guild gets a first kill in a new era is cool. It's the super stale stuff that's literally died hundreds of times that nobody cares about.
  15. -wycca Augur

Could this be tuned by mob? Ie I think there's alot of interest in this for early mobs, but I think maybe less for a true end-boss, which many guilds are proud of, and which I think some level of people in game may pay attention to for advertising/recruitment. Higher count for some but less in others?

Can you check for an announce if the raid leader or the first-on-agro of winning raid has the achievement perhaps after X? That would sort of limit it no?

Unlimited perhaps -
    Classic - I dunno, this one is messier - CT/Inny/Nag/Vox/Eye/Hand or none?
    Kunark - Trak? & PD
    Velious - Tunare?, Vulak & AoW
    Luclin - Emp? & Aten
    PoP - Quarm
    LDoN - none
    GoD - Zun in Txevu? & Tunat
    OoW - OMM
    etc

Pie in the sky this would rock - Count of 10 for most mobs, Count of 50 for some key mobs (a few per expan? - Gorenaire, Hoshkar, Seru, EP gods, Uqua/Inktuta, etc), Check vs raid leader/top agro for achievement even if counter is past, unlimited for end bosses.
  16. Ngreth Thergn Developer

It is the same issue as the stopping when it is "stale", the info I have is not specific, despite what it sounds. I just get a Number that says X event finished. No other info.
    I'm resisting making a list of special cases for every event that will constantly have to be updated (I.E. forgotten).
  17. Rauven Augur

I like it.
  18. AgentofChange Augur

If you make the serverwide end expansion bosses only, people won't really be that upset if they see the occasional serverwide for a kill 10 expansion ago.
  19. Semah Augur

Serverwides provide useful intelligence about when open world mobs die. Limiting the number of times that info gets shared would likely favor those who can do long (perhaps AFK) camps.

From that perspective, a Grummus serverwide is far, far more important to someone playing on Ragefire or Lockjaw than a Quarm serverwide.
  20. snailish Augur

Good point, though don't the serverwides also let everyone else set up their own afk watch for the next spawn? (without even having to login to the zone).

10 open world kills is pretty reasonable for the non-instanced servers (or 25). On the instance servers during primetime we now have a crawl of yellow text (to the point of spam) due to so many serverwides --so I still think being able to filter them off makes sense, but likely requires uncoupling them from the "important message" other use of the serverwide chat channel.

Which makes me think that a new "Daybreak annouces" channel should take over the "important message" job (could even be a new colour) and give us a toggle box in the UI to shut off the yellow text serverwides (which would now just be kill announces).