Zerker Rant

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bandersnatch, Jun 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bandersnatch New Member

I'm not saying that berserkers aren't competitive. We should be at the top with rogues, and wizards. The detrimental effects and situational disc usage is a bit too much. It may be fine for some people. to keep track of, and adjust sure. Our group game isn't effected much, and I adamantly stand in the same spot on 95% of group named smashing my face among the keyboard just like everyone else.... Raid quality of life is my only real issue ...

I don't mind straight forward discs .... We shouldn't have to be rooted, blinded, wounded or incapacitated in some way to use them , and weave them...

I've played most melee classes and find most are already streamlined in some way .... I just have to keep track of fading discs and know what comes after .... while keeping dots/sustaining abilities up if they fade. As a zerker we're forced into a new dimension of discs that require pre-reqs with effects that knock out my mobility/sight.... Nobody else has to do that to be competitive ....

Easy mode- oh sure you can make that case ... it was easy playing a zerker. i had one disc to keep track of , while keeping up 14 ish different abilities , while moving my burn key to a single hotkey down from 4. I would then manually push alternative burns as needed pressing the hot keys manually as needed ... This wasn't a hard thing to do ... I was able to watch raids some. Now i'm forced to watch ability timers... which isn't really a chore I guess being blind and all .... Market that to someone in a new game ... say nah it's ok you will be too busy staring at a black screen or unable to move to really enjoy the game , but no worries you will be slightly above average dps....

Quality of life is the purpose of this post ... I'm not arguing that we couldn't use a bit of a nerf sure ... Why so heavy handed , and why forcing us to use discs that make playing the game unpleasurable.

As far as nerfing one class to bring them down I mentioned above several classes that needed to be brought back up. It's not about arguing if these classes need a boost it's a fact .... when they finally get around to boosting monks, and when monks are out dpsing everyone you will find that berzerkers will say monks aren't pure dps why are we on the same playing field .... You will then have people saying hey it's too easy to top parses as a monk. all you have to do is hit a few buttons and bam top dps ...

This game is nearly two decades old everyone should have an ability slim down ... Oh here we go if i wanted to play an easier game i would play *** or *********** Well i've played said games at one time or another and rotations were a real thing .... but not with 30 + abilities usually closer to 10 or less .
    Looking at my parse last night i used 35 abilities on Queen . on top of hotkeys since the change I've went from 3 hot bars up to 5 It's such a headache now how much harder it's gotten to remain competitive...
  2. Mistatk Augur

Can someone direct me to a post or website for berserker burn and sustained abilities to use, post 6-21-2017 patch. I tried to go to goberserker.com but it wouldn't load. and the last post i can find here is several months or more old. thanks
    Sindaiann likes this.
  3. Chaosflux Augur

ONLY 5 hotbars? My paladin and beast lord have 10 filled *gasp* both should be top DPS.
  4. fransisco Augur

I don't think anyone would begrudge berzerkers not going blind ect. However, zerkers are not the only class that stuns themselves, roots themselves, takes damage, ect for a dps ability.

Welcome to umm.... EVERY CLASS IN EVERQUEST.
    However, all other melee also had to manage a ton of disciplines as well.

Final take - end of easy mode for zerkers. They were never harder to play than anything else. Now they may just not be easier than everything else.
  5. Denhbers Elder

Bandersnach is the real deal. I know that from experience. He hits the nail on the head about the button-mashing/stacking issues. "Get used to it" is the cry of the oppressors or the defeated.

I will beat this horse until I'm dead personally...Frenzied Resolve killed the enjoyment of playing a raid zerker. They keep messing with this stupid disc. Here's the correct solution: GET. RID. OF. IT. No class should have to <smurfing> root itself. Ever.

It's the middle of the expansion, and other classes should have been brought up a little, and zerkers should have been brought down--moderately. This was more than a nerf, this was straight up breaking a class. Last time they did this (thank you Frenzied Resolve), zerkers slipped into stagnation/near uselessness for 3 years.

People care WAY too much about what other classes do. And also, the idea that raid dps is somehow by far the most important facet of EQ is myopic in thinking.

I had been considering making my second account All-Access. Due to this, I will not. I'll definitely abstain from any further micro-transactions also.
  6. Mistatk Augur

I can say just from playing berserker alot as well as other classes in raids. Having to blind yourself or root yourself is no joke. Someone just posted other classes have to do that, i can't think of any that do. Course now the ability that rooted bers, and let them do alot of dps, is changed to not stack with any other disc so its a moot point? i think. I don't care about nerf disconcerting, I didn't ask to have disconcerting how it was. But for the class bers, who is 0 utility and only meant to be a top tier dps, and has to endure things like blind and root in order to do their dps, shouldn't be getting out dps'd by hybrids etc. otherwise, whats the point? It is very annoying when instead of class balance, seems more like which class is going to be broken for this year. Like they try to do fixes with a sledge hammer, up or down, instead of a scalpel. and always break it worse then it was.
  7. Poyzen Frawg Augur

Don't mean to de-rail this post but ... I would sell my soul to never be rooted or snared again. Absolutely hate it.
  8. Cleaver Augur

Says someone who obviously has NEVER played one. How much have you paid radarx to ignore your open calls for nerfs to other classes ?
  9. menown Augur

What exactly are Mages, Monks, and Necromancers hybrids of? You call them hybrid DPS instead of class, but monks only melee. And none of those 3 are a hybrid class.

Sorry for the derail. I just get ticked off when people think that pure means superior, and then with using this definition, they exclude classes that they don't think should be on this list.
    Spellfire and Sancus like this.
  10. Behelit Augur

bro r u even pure necro?
    Sancus likes this.
  11. dwish Augur

I'm pretty sure the long-term zerkers had to see this nerf/change coming eventually. They had become the next "flavor-of-the-month" class in a big way. In the span of a few weeks on my server, the Zerker went from being a lower population DPS class to being just all over the place, due to the laughable power increase they got with EoK. Every single class that has been so powerful that it causes many in the player base to flock to the class has eventually ended in a nerf.

In one sense, I would actually welcome this change if I was a Zerker that has been around for awhile. It should immediately get rid of a lot of the people that jumped on the bandwagon in the past 3-4 months. I am also 100% sure that the skilled Zerkers out there will still be topping a lot of parses even after the change. We have a couple quality Zerks in my guild, and after the patch they were still able to put up very respectable numbers. Not the 2x everyone else numbers we were seeing, but still topping parses. I'm sure they won't be able to die 3 times on an event now and still top the parse, and will actually have to play well night in and night out, but that's how it should be.
  12. Denhbers Elder

There's nothing "skilled" about mashing buttons or getting the perfect dps group. There's nothing enjoyable about having to mash too many buttons either. Real skill is not dying, correct positioning, focus, and reaction.

I'm not suprised by this nerf nor its severity. That's because years of experience tells me that EQ devs over-nerf things.

Now you're trying to convince me that I should be happy because of the "bandwagon zerkers" getting nerfed? LOL.
  13. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Wizards have to be prepared to blind themselves when using beam-spells(20% chance to blind and yes they require careful aim), Some of our single target-nukes roots us(again 20% chance), making them quite a gamble on raids where we have to move around. Negative side effects are not specific to berserkers.
  14. Mistatk Augur

Is it really so impossible to parse this stuff out in a controlled testing environment that it has to be all guess work? Why did the disc get released in such a insanely OP state? Why did it stay that way for so long? Why instead of nerfed down 20% or 50% why was 75% the correct amount? just posting that a bers in your guild did X amount of damage, doesn't make this a logical disc, or a logical nerf to it. Why not just establish what dps range each of the pure dps classes should do, test it, and see if they are hitting where they should be? It feels like whoever develops and nerfs these abilities just doesn't care or isn't able to do it properly. Its quite annoying as a player. Also. why change 20 other things, before you even get 1 thing changed properly. You change Frenzied resolve from ability to disc, you change shaman epic and so on and so forth, and then at the same time your making other changes, all the changes impact one another.
  15. Godwin Journeyman

It's still a little different when you have to root yourself (100% of the time) AND hump the back of a NPC while you need to be mobile for script emotes and AOE dodging / wild ramps.
  16. Tactic New Member

Lmfao. These cry threads/posts are gold.
  17. Godwin Journeyman

You're gold, ponyboy.
  18. ShadowMan Augur

Because often times a single problem gets worked on by multiple people who seemingly don't communicate. A class might need some tweaks so spell dev adds A, AA dev adds B and C, gear dev might boost something foe D for that class. So what was supposed to be a tweak turns into the flavor of the month or year class who got way to much.

In zerkers case they had a whole bunch of stuff changed or added in beta including the perma disc that negated all other discs since SS became an ability. After they realized they messed up rather than admitting it or tweaking only what was changed they often try and save face by then changing other stuff instead. Not knocking the devs but very few it any truly understand any 1 class completely anymore and at this point they just wing it and try to keep it in bounds. Some err way to much on the side of caution and others just go willy nilly at times out of no where. Zerkers were pretty solid in TBM and did not need most of what occurred in beta and the price was the devs borking a whole of other stuff before nerfing perma disc probably a bit to much.

Monks should have gotten what zerkers did in beta. Zerkers should have gotten disconcerting as a 3 minute up 5 minute reuse type deal like the other melee got since SS was no longer a disc making it so they still had to use other stuff. Dots should have been changed for necros first even if it took changes staying only on test for 4 months before being pushed like so they actually understood what they were doing instead of just winging it and then hitting a show with druids and shaman.
  19. Jumbur Improved Familiar

True, wizard-spells with negative feedback often have an element of randomness to them, A wizard dying to his own spells, have to do some pretty stupid stuff. :eek: It is also my impression that wizards have higher survivability than zerkers(on raids), mainly due to us not being in melee-range.

The only situation where we have to "hump" a mob in close range, is doing an aoe burn, but in that case we still have to aim carefully, beams are not exactly wide, and an aoe burn also includes pbaoe spells with very short range(melee range almost).

Wizards probably do have it a bit easier than zerkers though, since most of our spells are ranged. The trick to play a good wizard is to have prober disc-management, and a optimized(and very spammy!!) weave, we rarely have to move around unless script emotes dictates it.
  20. Aelen Augur

Yeah. As a rule, people overstate the value of selfish utility. Something which classes like Monk/Mag/Nec/Sk have a bit tied up in. It's a more complicated arguments for groups, but generally not for raiding, which a lot of this conversation seems to be about.

If the selfish utility doesn't enable a secondary role, then its value is what it contributes directly to the bottom line of the primary role. Meaning if monk survivability caused them to suffer no event related losses to damage, and the lack of it for berserkers caused them to suffer 10% losses, then a balanced state would be un-impeded berserkers doing 11% more damage, but being so consistently impeded they always looked like they were doing the same damage on average.

Mnk * 1 * 1 = Good
    Zerk * 1.11 * 0.9 = Good.

Based on the utility argument, Nec's have the best argument for averaging the most total damage. Largely because Nec's manage to have damage that itself actually has reduced utility. You can't use it on whatever you want. You can't solve as many problems successfully with it alone. And add heavy events/debuff stripping events/burstable events/Boss depop and swap events seem more common and intentional than range only events by a good margin.

Zerk's use of Frenzied Resolve and Blinding Fury makes decentish argument for second, but they sit more closely with the Rogues and Monks that they quite literally share an archetype and raid seat with. Wizards and Mages shouldn't really be dragging behind either.

As a rule, and this is an important point, there isn't a class that exists primarily for you to feel good about the fact that you beat them all the time. That seems to be where people want Monks and Mages to sit in a raid setting, and some even like the idea of Necs and Rogues and Wizards being there.

Utility isn't what it was. It wasn't enough to keep Enchanters relevant beyond that one stalwart per non-cc raid prior to them gaining a bunch of aDPS, personal damage and new heights of tank assist utility. It's falling further back for bards lately. If flatout utility classes are having a harder time justifying themselves on it, it's silly to be arguing that small variances in fundamentally similar characters justifies dominance in a shared, end-all be-all archetype.

It's additionally hard to feel sympathy for some of the more vocal berserkers on the issue, when they have one of the more blatant histories of trying to hamstring themselves on utility to keep alive a flawed belief that they should be a damage trump card. Developers weren't keen on letting them be pure DPS, it isn't a good balancing point, but they've fought them numerous times and hurt themselves in the process. There isn't some old DnD GM sitting there on the other side of the table waiting to let you munchkin your way into taking low impact flaws for stupid-high optimization of your archetype.

Feel kinda bad for some of the guys just along for the ride, but there really isn't a good argument for Berserkers to simply be the most correct choice for a role that makes up more than half of a 54 person raid.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.