June 21 Patch Status

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Plainbelly, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zaggan Journeyman

DB has been good about compensating issues like this with things like XP2. I have no reason to believe we will not be getting a bonus weekend.
  2. Axxius Augur

Grand Guild Hall is housing.
    svann and Cicelee like this.
  3. Cicelee Augur

I personally use it for tribute trophies.

Having said that, I know some people who have spent a ridiculous amount of time on their house to make it just right. If all that work they spent was lost, I am sure they would be irate. Granted those people are most likely in the minority, but DBG is trying to not upset every customer out there.

Also, and I may be mistaken, but housing could also mean Guild Halls. In which case, nearly everyone out there uses a Guild Hall. So yes, if that is true, nearly everyone does actually use housing...
  4. solarfly New Member

There's really no such thing as rolling back in the computer world. That's a database concept that companies like Oracle made their money on because it is a very, very complex problem to try and solve. Take a look at low-level code available for databases and see how record locking and transactions are implemented. It's crazy. Now extend the idea of "rolling back" to a single operating system configuration -- the best you can really do here is shutting down and snap-shotting VM space and recovering and fixing the clock. Add a network and two systems into it and now figure out a way to synchronize their versions and state to work with each other. Now extend that to say, 10 server components. A heavy set of Devops scripts to migrate IP addresses correctly or migrate the load balancers, pray you got behavior correct when the database sees the clock has suddenly just jumped forward in time. HBase is a good example of an intolerant system where it freaks out when a clock makes an unexpected jump.

Resetting execution code and configuration to a previous state is easy when the schema has remained static. But if your schema as moved forward and you've already begun migrating data (or worse, if the data migration breaks part of the way through) you're in a very bad spot.

It's my experience that it takes as much time and risk to restore from a backup and reset a system as it does to just plow forward and fix a bug.

The ability to stagger-deploy updates depends on the system architecture and what points in that architecture data is shared. This is why it's SO important to test upgrades in develop, again in staging and have a very good suite of unit and integration tests for all the changes made before the production deployment is attempted.

Edit: I see you're working with financial systems, I should have read your post backwards. You're all too familiar with transactions!
    Fanra, Senadin and Zognar like this.
  5. SonOfABiscuit Augur

6. EnchFWO Augur

The lashback for losing what is potentially hundreds of dollars of decor marketplace purchases would induce insanity. I can't imagine "how much" some guild halls are worth these days since some people are REALLY into decorating.
    fuloph likes this.
  7. Stephen Journeyman

8. gewenis New Member

9. Bigstomp Augur

If they do a bonus weekend I hope it's not XP. It's crazy easy to be max xp nowadays.
  10. Mortman New Member

5..4..3..2..1.. 5pm!!
  11. Jetboy Lorekeeper

The "housing" issue would be more important than some may think.
    Housing issue = Neighborhood issue
    Neighborhood issue = Custom Guild Hall issue
    Custom Guild Hall issue = you get the picture here...
  12. Calamity Lorekeeper

Bro, do you even tradeskill?

Seriously, I'm up to 9 houses plus guildhall full of tradeskill mats...
  13. solarfly New Member

It's always prime time for someone.
  14. Mortman New Member

WTF?? They aren't paying these techs overtime could they?? Who's paying for this?
  15. Stephen Journeyman

16. GoldenFrog Augur

I just can't figure out why people aren't flat out embarrassed to write stuff like this - or half the posts on every thread like this. To be this kind of person.

It's rude and insulting to everybody around you.
  17. Saltomortale New Member

I'll give them one thing, they did this a few days before the first month of Agnarr is up which gives folks who expect more a few days to unsub before thry're committed to another month. They coukd've waited until the 25th for this fiasco...
  18. Nalisa Lorekeeper

whats rude is not getting an update on the tech issue, to the thousands that are waiting for one.
    omg like omg and fuloph like this.
  19. kizant Augur

I love threads like these. It's even more entertaining than the game sometimes. :D
    Elricvonclief and Danax like this.
  20. Catty Lorekeeper

Methinks you dramatically overestimate the active playerbase.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.