June 21 Patch Status

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Plainbelly, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RadarX Augur

The short version, and I can say this because much like you guys I don't do this for a living?

That's not how game development or live service development works.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Cogsley like this.
  2. RadarX Augur

I do too. You and I define fun very differently.
  3. Nalisa Lorekeeper

I bet if they plug it back in it will work...
  4. northstar Augur

it will be up some time today perhaps the maintenance crew just wanted to log in some OT?
  5. The Riddler New Member

6. Qonalynx New Member

I see a Dev said to be constructive, so I will try, I promise :).

(Directed towards the EQ team) When you are trying to make people happy who, lets face it, pay your bills communication (and I do not mean one sentence every 4 hours) is very important. my Cable goes out at least a couple times per year do to unforeseen and unmanageable circumstances do to storms, or auto accidents. The glaring difference though, they give updates every 10 minutes (or try their best to). they start by telling you what the problem is, why there is an outage, then they tell you that have people working on said problem, or en route. then they give an ETA, the first ETA is usually always an over estimate, like 4 hours, but when they know more they reduce it, and before you know it people are happy because there was information and communication!

It is asking a lot for the team to change 18 year old policy at this point, but taking 15 seconds to write a post every 30 minutes at least, giving some form of information and communication to people, you know, paying you, would go a long way.

That is about as constructive as i can be, love the game, not raging, not going to quit, just giving some advice, talk to your customers and you would be surprised how many would be happy for it!
  7. Caderyn250 Journeyman

Actually my team was very small. I think it was like 8 people at the time. There were many more people involved with other aspects of the network, but the portion my team was responsible for involved making configuration changes to thousands of devices. You don't need a lot of people to do a job well.

What could be (and probably is) happening with DBG is that their devs just aren't given enough time to do the job right. I suspect it's an issue with management, not the devs. The job I'm in now has management like that...they want everything done yesterday. They don't care that you can't do the job correctly with the amount of people that we have. I push out code all the time that has bugs--not because I can't identify them before release, but because I'm not given adequate time test.
    Senadin likes this.
  8. Archery Lorekeeper

After 18 years of playing EQ, it has been my experience that patches usually are complete before the stated completion time. Every once in a while they run over, even more seldom they run way over as is happening today. Further my experience is when they run this far over another patch is sure to follow. In that I have no ability to effect change, I accept the very occasional occurrences like this, unpleasant as it is and anxiously await resuming play.

Archery
    RNG - all servers
    Soju, Nightmares, Brohg and 1 other person like this.
  9. Bigstomp Augur

Thanks for keeping us updated, even if we aren't keen on the details of the update.
  10. FOGBANK Lorekeeper

Their customer service IS poor. When DB does stuff like this, we should be compensated, especially the AA members. The LEAST they could do is stagger down times, do half the servers at a time, then that way we could at least have the option of playing on another server until they get their broken programming fixed. I work all day, then when I come home, I run into this due to their evident ineptness. Therefore I understand why people get upset and angry.
    fuloph and Tandy like this.
  11. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I can tell you they won't quit in an hour and a half. They will keep working on this until it is fixed. The Daybreak team does not like this as much (or more) as we do.

Identifying and repairing software/hardware problems can be very difficult. EQ is over 18 years old. When it was first made, there was not a lot of knowledge about how to properly program a MMORPG. Since then, things have been bolted on, things have not been properly documented, and most (I would say all) of the original programmers don't work there anymore.

They are working hard. The majority of the problems are related to the fact that no company that has owned EQ has wanted to spend the money to update/repair/replace the code. Really, the client and server software should be rewritten from scratch but that isn't going to happen.
    Soju and Nightmares like this.
  12. Qyzx New Member

just a big ol lol at this point.
    Cogsley likes this.
  13. Senadin Elder

The thing is yes they do occur but the frustration isnt that it occurs.

It's the almost no communications, The poor planning. Im not a dev but i work in a network operation role and i see this all the time. Issue with the update, roll back the change and try again at a later time!
    It's the fact that WE as gamers (and our dollars) are taken for granted. Not only that but we as gamers take it and somehow we figure it is ok. We dont demand more, we lie over and take it again and again and again. Why is it not okay for other services but when it comes to gaming we just shrug? In the end a service is paid for and not provided. Having timely communications and good planning to prevent these issues would go a long way to build trust between the customers and DBG.
    UndeadBob likes this.
  14. svann Augur

We are almost 99% sure we can recover all characters.

Just kidding! lighten up
    FOGBANK likes this.
  15. Kbamm Journeyman

Lets be honest. Ever since the loss of the Smed and the buy out from SoE the game has went down hill. Its become a giant money grab ( Lets make them pay to play something Brad and team made 18 years ago, and all we have to do is hype it up. Hell we don't have to actually make anything new) but we still love it. Lets also be honest as gamers the Everquest community is probably the biggest bunch of whiners and drama queens around lol (Myself included 17 years and counting lmao). Oh no you ruined our game!!! (30 minutes into playing the changed stuff, "Wow this actually works, don't tell the Devs we like what they did!!") As for running over by a few hours who cares it happens now if they were down for a day or something we should expect reparations and when that has happened guess what? They did give bonus xp and even free game time.
  16. Sokon Augur

i dont see why people complain so much and then they get mad at the complaints. couldnt you spend your time more constructively on these forums by posting ideas to help the game!
  17. Lennyn Elder

What's Gina? I saw it referenced in another thread, but it was in all caps then. I tried Googling for "GINA" and got nothing for a game. Feel free to PM me with an answer, that goes for anyone.
  18. Kazak New Member

Since this thread is limited to constructive posts only, when can we expect a daybreak employee to inform us how we're going to be compensated for the loss of game time we paid for?

Will it be time credited to our accounts, daybreak cash, bonus xp?
    v01d likes this.
  19. Fessor111 New Member

NN all, no EQ today :(
  20. Shaded Journeyman

wow was sposed to be back up at 2:30pm eastern time, here it is approx. 6:15pm. I guess they really broke it. *sigh* oh yeah and the communication is outstanding.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.