How do I keep my pet from pulling Agro?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Dabrixmgp, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Dabrixmgp Augur

Really wish they never changed it back to pets being able to pull agro but they did so I guess I gotta deal with this stupid change. I play a level 14 BL on Phinny and I am pretty twinked out, however my pet is not. I can take hits and regen the damage back easily because of Fungi staff, my pet cannot. So how do I make him stop pulling agro every time he procs spirit of whatever? Yes taunt is off and I been spamming flash of light but even after i cast it 3 times back to back procs and pet has agro. Im blowing through a lot of mana for no reason cause now I gotta heal my pet. Only way to reliably hold agro is if I spam FoL the entire fight and then how am I supposed to cast anything else. Also I have noticed I dont swing during spell casts so obviously I am losing DPS if I gotta spam FoL. So how do I make him stop pulling agro?
  2. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Don't buff it with Spirit of Whatever?
    Taschxi likes this.
  3. Goranothos Augur

Get gud? Pets being able to hold agro over player characters within melee range is one of the best changes to the game that I can remember. If taunt is off on pet and it's still pulling agro, you need to do more DPS or find another way to generate more hate on the mob. Perhaps some higher level BLs can help you. Good luck.
  4. svann Augur

How does a L14 have enough experience in the class to complain about changes? You only played it 2 days! Anyway, in another day or 2 you will be 30 and will have other problems.

As a suggestion, you might want to tell your pet to back off until you have gained enough agro.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  5. Dabrixmgp Augur

im pretty sure that by the time Luclin rolled around pets could no longer hold agro over people in melee range but I could be wrong. Also this isnt my first BL either and when I played my first one pets could not pull agro over a player so how exactly would I know how to keep agro off my pet if he wasnt allowed to have agro in the first place.
  6. Vindicate Elder

In the past, your pets agro was attributed to you if you where both in melee range, meaning if it got agro you got hit. This also means you would have had to manage your agro pretty much the same way you have to now, unless you wanted to take agro off the tank. Today, your pet agro is independent of your own. You will grow to really love this later on! For now you'll just have to suck it up and learn to work together with your pet. Get a temperance buff from a friendly cleric and both of you will be much happier, until you get leveled up a bit.
  7. Treiln Augur

How exactly is your pet pulling aggro from you with taunt off? When I first came back about 3 weeks ago, I started fresh with a Beastlord. That Beastlord is now parked at level 63. Never had an issue keeping threat. Never had to fight for it, or even try. I've always been the mobs focus, and tbats from doing nothing more than just killing leisurely.

I've buffed the crap outta my pet, loaded him up with toys, and tried letting my pet tank (prior to level 35), and it worked just fine. Until I unloaded our quick DD and got within melee range. Then I had aggro all over again.

If I play my Beastlord again, I want your pet lol
  8. moogs Augur

If it makes you feel much better, actual tank classes can't really hold aggro below, say, level 30. They just don't have the tools. As you level up, this issue will go away on its own.
  9. Dabrixmgp Augur

I guess it might have to do with the weapons Im giving him. Im using either the Greatsword of Savagery (he hits for 90) or the Witness of Hate Greatstaff (he hits for 94). You think maybe thats why mobs love him so much?
  10. Treiln Augur

At level 14? Yeah that could very easily be the issue. Aggro from weapons is based off per swing, so him having a better ratio than you when comparing weapons (assumption here), he could be generating more aggro while attacking.

Then with a proc going off, it's a quick spike in threat. Makes sense
  11. Anhari Augur

If you are blowing through mana, then let the pet take the agro, work on killing the mob(s) and either recast summon pet during the fight, or after the fight is over, summon a new pet. You just have to manage it. If you are REALLY good, then start to cast the summon pet spell just before it dies. If the timing is right, you will summon the pet exactly (or a second) after your current pet dies.

I don't know of many pet class players who ever complain about their pet taking agro. As a BL and a Necro, I Love the fact that he can take the agro off of me so I can cast my spells without getting the ca-rap kicked out of me!
  12. Hingabe Augur

When did it change? I thought pet couldn't hold aggro if a player was in melee range? I've been away since late 2014/early '15.
  13. DruidCT Augur

No they changed it to pet can hold agro until a druid casts a DoT on mob then it eats the druid instead. :p
  14. Goranothos Augur

They changed it a year or two ago. You can now pet tank and stand right next to the mob. :) Pet Taunt actually works now also, so, if using more than one pet, turn off taunt on all but the tank.
    Hingabe likes this.
  15. Rizzin Elder

Nercro here, so not the best pet tanks, but while I usually fight with a real tank (merc or player), I like to keep taunt on my pet:

1) He seems to take hits almost as well as a merc tank (I've put lots of AAs into that) and if the tank dies he's got agro and can make it work. If he dies I can then cast another pretty quickly until we get things under control.

2) If the tank needs a heal, the distraction of my pet can make the difference and I can watch and heal my pet if needed with an AA or spell.

I've had player tanks not like that, so in those cases I switch it on in emergencies.
  16. Karanthal Augur

At that level "pull aggro" is pretty hard to shift. Whoever hits the mob first is likely to be tanking it.

you should get some pretty solid aggro pulling with one of the lower level DoT's unless you are fighting mobs too high a level that the pet is able to hit and you are not.

Oh and /pet taunt off ;)
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  17. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

On a semi related note and maybe I'm just old and forgetting, but I don't recall any point before the 'recent' change when pet's could hold agro off of players in melee range. Or were the people talking about it being changed back referring to how the Dev's turned if off and on while they were tweaking it during the aforementioned 'recent' change?
  18. TalaelcaranBB New Member

There was a point in velious (right at the end before AoW was killed), pets were bugged, no one could take agro off them.