old raid zones request

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Goranothos, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Goranothos Augur

Everquest devs,

Please consider removing the "six toons" restriction for generating an instance in the older raid zones, such as Anguish. A lot of us enjoy dinking around in those old zones, but don't box six toons, nor do we want to bother people in game to join our group long enough to generate the instance.

I know the flag restrictions have been dropped on many of these old zones, how about going the next step and allowing one or two toons to zone in?
    Gherig likes this.
  2. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

Blizzard just did this with its upcoming patch 5.1, they removed all the "must be in a raid" and raid group flags and requirements for all its raids prior to the current expansion.

The one thing that EQ has had for more then a decade is replayability and the subset game of going back and kicking on old content with the smallest raid force possible for fun. Its something that keeps alot of people coming back and playing. I for one enjoy going back to previous raids and seeing how well I can do against them with the smallest possible group I can take, even seeing if they can be soloed (outside the few raids at actually require physical bodies to "Stand" somepalce to even trigger *** cough cough "Inktu'ta" cough cough ***)

I also wish SOE would do the same and just removed the 3 and 6 man limits on everything older then VOA, if I want to bang my head against a raid solo, or with 1-3 toons, please let me. I dont want to have to log in 6 accounts and start a raid or use the offline raid group tricks. Its just a damn hassle, and people are short grouping under 6 maning these raids anyways, remove the stumbling blocks already.
    Vouivre likes this.
  3. Fenthen aka Rath

It's fun to solo Sleeper's Tomb or Temple of Veeshan! ;p
    Ssra, not so much.
  4. Gannen Elder

I like the idea of removing the 3-18 man restrictions on old content for instances/raids... but also removing the flag requirements if one's over a certain level also, like the unlocking of zones...

actually it would also be nice if some of the old raid content that was not on an instanced mission/raid could be made into an instanced expedition (just repop the zone with the names up) with a lockout... (once people moved past a certain point, a lockout timer to help cut down the number of times one could go into old Temple of veeshan to kill the dragons, fear and play the epic NPC's for the epic items (dragons dragons dragons was nice to go back and get the mini's for the fun of it but no epic drops was there for most) or into grieggs end and play griegg)... to open the old former raid material to everyone and not just the people counting the old timers to farm the repops of the raids and allowing very little chance for non farmers to play the raids)... one might say that'd end the interest in the old targets... not if the loot table in the instanceds was changed not so much with new items as much with making more desired items a rare drop and putting in something for people to get besides a random drop... old man mckenzie brews? chronobines? Brellium? ect...

still, a nice idea to remove the restrictions...

the "must be in a raid" restriction makes it easier for the system to see who's got access to the raid instances (else they'd have to do it with expeditions, and individually invite person by person into the expedition), but it also makes it so they can exclude mercenaries from some content... which mercenaries would help make some of those raids a lot easier...
  5. Tarrin Augur

To go hand in hand with this, the "must have X people in zone to trigger/open chest" requirement. While it sounds the same, its often attached to raids that don't have the same requirement.
    Goblin Dojo and I think the FoS raid come to mind, for example.
    Gherig and Vouivre like this.
  6. Fenthen aka Rath

I vote for lockout-or-banish timers on stuff like Fear demis, Nagafen, ToV, etc that does not already have a lockout timer.
  7. Rainbowdash Augur

I....actually support this idea.

Ordinarily I'd disagree with a change that could be perceived as "dumbing down old content just because us level 95 bad arses can solo it" as though everyone that plays this game plays for 'the top'.

In this case though... If it went in, sure a level 70 would be able to request something like Anguish with just themselves, but that wouldn't mean they could do it with just one person like a 95 could. They'd still need a raid force. It really doesn't affect the game on the lower end of things, only removes an unnecessary annoyance on the higher end.

Now if someone were to suggest something stupid like "let's let mercs into old raid instances because I still need some form of heals to 'solo' it but don't want to beg a player to help me". That would affect both the lower and higher ends. Thus I'd disagree with, and stand firmly against, something of that nature. Simply removing the player number reqs on older raids, however, isn't that big of a deal. Not a bad idea tbh.
  8. Kirbane Augur

Not a bad idea at all :D good job keep up the great work
  9. doktartp Augur

YOu can already request a good many DZs with 1 live person online (5 offline) This works for things like anguish (cause you cant make a ftp second account to load 5 level 1 alts right ?)

Issues i have are tacvi since its a raid only format, and don progression (shared quests)

They removed/lowered a few of the 18 plus instances to 6 which isnt too bad with some random /general people.
  10. Goranothos Augur

Bumping an old thread.
    Decided to do Anguish yesterday, just for giggles with the secondary purpose of getting globes for a couple of my toons.
    I see the same old 6 player requirement is still in place. /sigh So I had to go through the musical chairs of logging in alts, inviting them, then logging them out, etc. etc. Seriously, this is a PITA for a zone that a 105 can solo.

So anyway, after all that, I couldn't get my Shammy to zone into Anguish. She got the "gates open" message, but never zoned in. I tried multiple times and even logged her off and back on. My mage and chanter entered just fine. Some kind of bug, or am I doing something wrong? Shammy is 105.

So....it was kinda fun to visit the old raid zone. Can anyone name some other raid zones that I could play around in that can be requested with 6 toons or less?
  11. moogs Augur

You can request DoN raids. Those require 6 in the group. One of them - Goblin Dojo - still requires 6 players in the zone to start the event, unless that was changed recently.

What about Deathknell?
    Goranothos likes this.
  12. fransisco Augur

Why not just allow instance zones of the old content like phinny already has.
    Goranothos likes this.