Allakhazam warning

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lily, Jun 13, 2017.

1. moogs Augur

When Adblock Plus fails to do the job on its own, I use the related extension Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus. Most of these issues can be taken care of by keeping an up to date HOSTS file. Something that I install on all of the PCs at the office is a free tool which can block "drive-by" malware infections: https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbae_current/

Still zero excuse for ZAM to display malware ads. Are they still owned by those slimeballs, IGE? Because that would explain a lot.
  2. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

IGE was sold off by Affinity Media (parent company of ZAM) back in 2007 so they have been out of the picture for a while.

I've been helping them clean up the ads by running a open chrome browser here lately and will continue to report whatever I find. So far they have removed all of the bad ads I have reported and I haven't seen any since other than some redirect ads which I have reported, so they actually do care about getting rid of bad ads.
  3. Jumbur Improved Familiar

It looks fine now, but 4 days ago it looked like a "mutated festival on roids" with constant reloading, Im glad they fixed it. :)

It was memory leaking adds on other sites that made me install an addblocker in the first place, Going overboard with adds is not the way to go, unless you wan't to scare people away.
  4. Rivitt Elder

Some people would call that 'victim blaming.' :-D
  5. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Nope. Any website should not use an ad company that constantly serves malware. In addition, too much javascript (moving ads, etc.) and other things that cause memory leaks and, in general, make it difficult to use the website, is bad for business.

My statement was a general statement about internet safety. Even if you never visit Allakazam and never plan to, everyone should have anti-virus protection. Even your 98 year old grandmother who only plays scrabble online (please note, your other 98 year old grandmother who plays EQ should also:).

Allakhazam is a great source of information. I hope they can keep the site clean. From the posts here, it seems to be a problem, that hopefully, they will fix.
    moogs likes this.
  6. YellowBelly Augur

I hope they would keep their site clean. They are profiting off of information they collect from we the players for god sake. 95% of useful information comes from the comments section. If anything, they owe us.

There is absolutely no reason they could not stick to one Adsense ad and one affiliate link per page except for pure greed.

If people are really upset with their shenanigans just stop adding information for free. Heck maybe people that have added useful comments in the past should delete their posts.
  7. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Like jumping in with sharks and a bleeding woound? heh
  8. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

We do get quite a bit of information from the comments section and we appreciate it. People like to give us information because the site is a great library for the game. We're cleaning up the ads and getting all of that under control. I don't like the new chrome ad system either however there is many many ways around it which I have explained in this thread.

We admins input quite a bit of information outside of the comments section on our own. I alone have 23442 edits on that site just in the last year since I was given admin status around this time last year. I would say 2500 of those edits are from user comments based on the average of comments I respond to in a weeks time. And that doesn't even include many other edits that don't get tracked by the site. Most of my edits have come from many other areas.

If you would like to know what I've worked on, I can give you plenty of examples.
    Rivitt likes this.
  9. Khaelum New Member

I use Chrome with Fair AdBlocker and the site runs remarkably better with it. I see no ads.
  10. Khaelum New Member

Which ones? I could use more sites to frequent for info.
  11. Ratbo Peep Augur

With Windows 10 penetration being what it is.... Windows Defender now rocks. Millions of computers are constantly submitting samples now. I'm seeing virus definitions being updated up to 5 times daily.
    Oh! And the sucky "Edge" browser that came with Windows 10? Since Ver.1607(Anniversary Update), the damn thing actually works quite well. Over the last ver months I've gotten rid of any 3rd party browsing and anti-virus software - and my overall web experience is better.
    -Rat
    Fanra likes this.
  12. Sissruukk Rogue One

I disabled my ad-block stuff so that I could take this screenshot. Here is what a lot of people are running into that don't use ad-block stuff, or even some that do. This will pop up after sitting idle on Allah's site after 10-15 mins, and will lock down the browser. It comes with a voice message, too, that basically says what the pop-up says. You can get out of this by going to your task manager and killing your browser that way. The screenshot is using Microsoft Edge, and before I get a bunch of haters, I chose this because if you use Chrome and this pops, the page background will be filled with p o r n, and I wasn't about to post that on this forum.

[IMG]
  13. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Just to let people know, if you EVER get any message on your computer like that saying you have a virus or malware and you should phone some number or give anyone any money to fix it, that is a scam. Often they claim to be from Microsoft. Microsoft never does this. They don't ask people to call them or send them money.

If you suspect you have malware, then either Google for answers, ask here, or go to a legitimate computer store.
    Your_Ad_Here likes this.
  14. svann Augur

EQresource is a great site for modern content. Gear and quests cotf and above. But eqr does not pay as much attention to spoiler info as zam, and older content they do not cover at all.
  15. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

Sissruukk, when did you take this screenshot?
  16. Geroblue Augur

That ad that jumps up and says your computer is infected, click to get rid of it, is in fact a trojan wanting you to click as you have then given permission for it to install. As mentioned earlier use task manager to kill it, don't click on it !

I'm a 35 year computer tech, retired. We had some of these show up at my last job. It may be Allakhazam's site was hacked and the fake advert installed. I haven't been to Allakhazam recently, but I haven't had any problems there with ads.
    Your_Ad_Here likes this.
  17. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

And Microsoft will never phone you to let you know your computer has a problem and they need to fix it. Got one of those calls last week and they guy hung up after I started laughing out loud.
    Geroblue and Fanra like this.
  18. Sissruukk Rogue One

I took it this morning at around 6:30 AM CST.
  19. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

Ok thanks, I'm running Edge now to see if I get it.
  20. Sissruukk Rogue One

Sorry for the late reply, as I am at work. Basically, this is what happens.
    I will go to Allah's to look up something while in game. Then I will go back to the game, leaving Allah's open. When this popup decides to hit (it doesn't happen all the time), it usually happens about 10-15 minutes of sitting idle on Allah's (i.e. not refreshing page, looking up something else, etc). How I know the popup hits the browser while I am in game is it starts an audio as well, so I hear it over my headset.
    I have had this happen in Chrome as well, except the major difference with Chrome is that the webpage background behind the popup will be plastered with p o r n pictures.
    Normally I run with blockers on, but numerous people in my guild have complained about this happening to them, so I ran without blockers to have it pop, and posted it here as I know someone from Allah's watches the forum here.