Allakhazam warning

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lily, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Lily Augur

I just got a virus from them.
    YellowBelly likes this.
  2. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

I'm not surprised. :( Ad block+ is a good tool to have running if you use use Firefox. You can't receive a virus from an Ad you can't see.
    Tatanka likes this.
  3. Mysl Augur

Which type of virus and which antivirus program detect it? Would be helpful to know so we can be on the lookout. Thanks.
    Fanra likes this.
  4. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

From https://www.virustotal.com/

URL:
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/
    Detection ratio: 0 / 65
    Analysis date: 2017-06-13 17:13:09 UTC ( 0 minutes ago )
    [IMG]

URL ScannerResult
    ADMINUSLabs Clean site
    AegisLab WebGuard Clean site
    AlienVault Clean site
    Antiy-AVL Clean site
    Avira (no cloud) Clean site
    Baidu-International Clean site
    BitDefender Clean site
    Blueliv Clean site
    C-SIRT Clean site
    Certly Clean site
    CLEAN MX Clean site
    Comodo Site Inspector Clean site
    CyberCrime Clean site
    desenmascara.me Clean site
    Dr.Web Clean site
    Emsisoft Clean site
    ESET Clean site
    Fortinet Clean site
    FraudScore Clean site
    FraudSense Clean site
    G-Data Clean site
    Google Safebrowsing Clean site
    K7AntiVirus Clean site
    Kaspersky Clean site
    Malc0de Database Clean site
    Malekal Clean site
    Malware Domain Blocklist by RiskAnalytics Clean site
    Malwarebytes hpHosts Clean site
    Malwared Clean site
    MalwareDomainList Clean site
    MalwarePatrol Clean site
    malwares.com URL checker Clean site
    Nucleon Clean site
    OpenPhish Clean site
    Opera Clean site
    ParetoLogic Clean site
    Phishtank Clean site
    Quttera Clean site
    Rising Clean site
    SCUMWARE.org Clean site
    SecureBrain Clean site
    securolytics Clean site
    Spam404 Clean site
    Sucuri SiteCheck Clean site
    Tencent Clean site
    ThreatHive Clean site
    Trustwave Clean site
    Virusdie External Site Scan Clean site
    VX Vault Clean site
    Web Security Guard Clean site
    Websense ThreatSeeker Clean site
    Webutation Clean site
    Yandex Safebrowsing Clean site
    ZCloudsec Clean site
    ZDB Zeus Clean site
    ZeroCERT Clean site
    Zerofox Clean site
    ZeusTracker Clean site
    zvelo Clean site
    AutoShun Unrated site
    Netcraft Unrated site
    PhishLabs Unrated site
    Sophos Unrated site
    StopBadware Unrated site
    URLQuery Unrated site

Now, it is important to notice that this is a snapshot. If Allakhazam has an advertisement that only shows up occasionally, it may not have been checked.
    Rivitt likes this.
  5. Sissruukk Rogue One

There is an annoying ad that pops up and basically locks down your browser that says that you have a virus and to call a certain number. If you don't have something that blocks this, you can get around this by hitting ctrl-alt-del and starting up your task manager, then shut down the browser that way.
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Never had a virus alert from Allakhzam. But I have usually been a subscriber and regardless run adblock and strong antivirus. As Fanra noted the site itself doesn't get flagged as a problem but ads could be an easier easily avoided with an ad blocker.
    eepok likes this.
  7. Kahlev Al-Calen Augur

If you need an ad blocker to navigate safely a comercial site then it is that site, and not the user, who should put a bit of effort into making sure their ads are working as intended. I used to have no issues with alla showing adds left and right, until they started being obnoxiously annoying and having pop ups on click or lagging the whole browser while they finished loading. Now i just block them manually.
  8. Toruch Fleshrot Augur

No problems if you are a member.
  9. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

If you have an account but aren't a premium member and are experiencing bad ads, email accounts@zam.com about it. I've caught several bad ads lately running an open browser and emailed them with all the details. I'm running a open browser again today to see what I can catch.
  10. Israfel Elder

Allakhazam is unusable without running noscript, at least to me. A lot of sketchy ads and scripts running.
  11. mackal Augur

Using alla takes more CPU resources than streaming 1080p60 videos.
    GoldenFrog likes this.
  12. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

Use another browser besides chrome to view the site. Make sure you have adblock plus installed as an extension on those other browsers and you shouldn't see any ads.
  13. Anhari Augur

I had the malware jump on me two days ago. Says Virus detected, call Microsoft at xxx if you do not your computer will be disabled. B-Sh#t,. , but I was running w/out a virus program or ad blocker at the time. Needed to get one installed so did so, and subscribed to ZAM since I do use it all the time for EQ (not so much for EQII but I see that they finally got an admin to keep it updated now).

$9.00 a year to not worry about sh#t adds is a small price to pay, and it helps this resource going. Remember ZAM is one of the ORIGINAL fan-based websites that needs love. The other is EQ Traders (love you Ogre and Mum!)

Shameless add; Please support these fan-based sites. I hate to see them go away lime monkey business, the Concert Hall and others that have sunseted.
    Lanadili, Rivitt and Toruch Fleshrot like this.
  14. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

This is to anyone who isn't running an anti-virus program:

Run, don't walk, to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5201 and install Microsoft Security Essentials. It is free and works.

Note that if you have Windows 8.1 or 10, it comes with Windows Defender (which is the same thing with another name). So just make sure it is enabled.

Anyone who has internet access and doesn't have anti-virus protection installed is like someone walking through the worst slum at midnight shouting how they have all this cash and expensive jewelry on them and they are unarmed and are a pacifist.
    Ratbo Peep and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  15. ZenMaster formless, shapeless

Allakhazam works fine on all of my Apple devices (iOS/Mac OS).
  16. Zish Elder

Here's the deal:

the ZAM network tried using a new advertising system on WoWHead (WoW database site), and it was a total disaster. After a huge backlash from the community, they removed it from their main trafficked site, and instead it seems they have put those intrusive ads on their lesser-used sites, such as EQ-Allakhazam.
  17. Lily Augur

I agree $9 isn't much, but for $20 I won't slash your tires!
  18. moogs Augur

I have experienced this on ZAM when I was not logged in. It's good content and it's worth the $9, but it is totally inexcusable for any self respecting website admin to allow advertising from dangerous sources. They don't have direct control over which advertisements are displayed, but they do have control over who they accept money from. Seriously ZAM. You can do better.
  19. Aurastrider Augur

As already stated on a simular thread I was getting the zues pop up. After about a dozen redirects and potentially harmful programs trying to access my computer I became a paid member. Honestly for how frequently most of us us this site the cost is pretty minimal. Skip Starbucks for a day and make your own coffee at home and use that money for a whole years sub. Best purchase I have made all year.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  20. mackal Augur

Don't reward ZAM for these ads. Stop buying accounts and stop using the site. There are better sites for modern content at least.
    Whulfgar, Zahel and Lily like this.