Fantasy Board Game

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Khalifa Kush, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Khalifa Kush Lorekeeper

My buddies and and are thinking we create a "poker night" but rather than poker we'd be playing RPG style board games. I'm looking for ideas.

I was thinking RISK but that may be too boring? Currently looking at Magic the Gathering and D&D.

4-5 of us.
  2. Feljar New Member

I host a "game day" once or twice a month. I have around $600 of board games. Our favorites right now include Lords of Waterdeep, Shadows over Camelot, Smallworld, Forbidden Island / Desert, Pandemic, The "tiny epic" series of games, Talisman, Coup, Clank, Cosmic Encounter and Roll Player
  3. Aurastrider Augur

If you want a dungeon style board game hero quest was one of my favorites as a kid. Not sure if it's still in production but can probably find it on eBay or amazon.
  4. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

look for a game called Talisman. really neat game for 2-8 players, takes about 4 hours. Lots of little cardboard counters, and random toons for people to pick.
  5. Goranothos Augur

6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

7. Anhari Augur

AD&D isn't really a "classic" board game, but with it being dice based, and you play on the table top (with figures if you want) it has always been a classic RP game. Your game master sets the scenario, and you and your buddies see if you can make him regret it!

You hear the roll of thunder as fire and lightning roll across the plains.(Meldreth just rolled 72 six-sided dice as she casts a fireball at the city where the rest of you are dallying).

A shout is heard over the destruction :: GET YOUR BUTTS UP HERE BEFORE I DO WORSE!!!

(This really happened in a game I was GM-ing back in 1984)
  8. Risiko Augur

Lord of Waterdeep is a great game to introduce people to modern board gaming.
  9. moogs Augur

These are my friends. I helped them found the company and produce the first title. They publish a pretty solid lineup and I'm sure you will find something here that you and your friends will enjoy:

https://secure.greenbriergames.com/gne/
  10. Aurastrider Augur

D&D has board games as well. Dragon quest is one of them from memory. I also had an old school castle simulator board game where you built up your forces and launched catapults (actual mini ones with marble type balls) at your opponents. I will keep searching for the game but it was pretty fun from what I recall.
  11. Aurastrider Augur

Ok found it. Weapons and warriors but its only a 2 person game although I am sure as an adult you could get creative or even buy multiple games and go all out on each other or do tournaments. I use to combine multiple games together as a kid to make things interesting.
  12. Beggly Augur

Check your phone book and see if they have a local game company I worked in Game Manufacturing for over 30 years for Flying Buffalo Games, and I can tell you that there are literally thousands of good games for 2 to 6 players. If you want a good rpg to get into fast and that is very newbie friendly, check out Tunnels and Trolls from Flying Buffalo. If you don't like that sort of thing, then GURPS by Steve Jackson Games is also good. For Superheroes, check out Champions. For horror and supernatural check out Call of Cthulhu.

As for Board Games, check out Cheap- Games. They have a plethora of inexpensive, fun, and quick board games that are easy to play and fast moving. I like Biting Off Heads, a dinosaur game, and Get Dr. Lucky. I also like financial/business games, and have a soft spot in my heart for rail games. In this genre I can solidly recommend Union Pacific or Empire Builder.

Another favorite of mine is Settlers of Catan, a world building and economic game. If you like horror and humor, try Fearsome Floors, a great little monster game where the monster lumbers around the board trying to eat the icons of 2 to 5 players. Since the monster moves randomly (sorta) and the players are limited in their moves, it makes for some fun situations.

If you are looking for more classic games, try Diplomacy or some of the classic Avalon Hill games. Again, the first step is visiting Board Game Geek or checking to see if your city has it's own dedicated game store. There are several in my area, including one I used to work for 20ish years ago. If no game stores, Amazon.com and others carry a large selection of games.

In any event, good gaming!
  13. Smak Augur

world of Warcraft monopoly?
  14. Absor Developer

If you want a really interesting story telling game, look for Arabian Nights. I think it just got a reprint. We used to take it camping and play around the fire. My game, however, is pretty messed up. :p

A
  15. Qbert Gallifreyan

I wouldn't call it a fantasy game, but then again you said you considered RISK; so, I will throw my two cents in for Axis and Allies. I'm not familiar with the different editions and whether or not they are cosmetic; I have the 1984 release. Jeez, I haven't played it in about 15 years, but I used to play it every weekend for a few years.
  16. Bigstomp Augur

As others have said, Talisman although it's quite a long game.
    Some others I enjoy are Merchants and Maruaders, and Spartacus.

If you really want a D&D type feel, Tomb is a pretty good approximation of a party dungeon crawl.
  17. Ashran Journeyman

Descent and Talisman are both pretty good, though you'll need to set aside quite a bit of time to play.
  18. Rainbowdash Augur

I'm running a D&D campaign with family atm where the world and lore is based mostly on Everquest :p
  19. Absor Developer

Are you using the White Wolf books? They are actually really good.

• Everquest RPG (ISBN: 1-58846-125-4) (WW 16500)
    • Everquest RPG: Game Master's Guide (ISBN: 1-58846-127-0) (WW 16502)
    • Everquest RPG: Monsters of Norrath (ISBN: 1-58846-126-2) (WW 16501)
    • Everquest RPG: Luclin (ISBN: 1-58846-066-5) (WW 16512)
    • Everquest RPG: Monsters of Luclin (ISBN: 1-58846-064-9) (WW 16514)
    • Everquest RPG: Befallen (ISBN: 1-58846-129-7) (WW 16520)
    • Everquest RPG: Temple of Solusek Ro (ISBN: 1-58846-132-7) (WW 16521)
    • Everquest RPG: Solusek's Eye (ISBN: 1-58846-062-2) (WW 16522)
    • Everquest RPG: Realms of Norrath: Freeport (ISBN: 1-58846-128-9) (WW 16510)
    • Everquest RPG: Realms of Norrath: Everfrost Peaks (ISBN: 1-58846-131-9) (WW 16511)
    • Everquest RPG: Realms of Norrath: Dagnor's Cauldron (ISBN: 1-58846-953-0) (WW 16515)
    • Everquest RPG: Realms of Norrath: Forests of Faydark (ISBN: 1-58846-133-5) (WW16513)
    • Everquest RPG: Plane of Hate (ISBN: 1-58846-976-X) (WW 16524)
    • Everquest RPG: Heroes of Norrath (ISBN: 1-58846-063-8) (WW 16504)
    • Everquest RPG: Al'Kabor's Arcana (ISBN: 1-58846-130-0) (WW 16503)
    • Everquest II RPG (ISBN: 1-58846-999-9) (WW 16550)
  20. Rainbowdash Augur

I'm actually not! It's regular AD&D Second Edition but i modified a lot to make it based mostly on EQ (though i pulled some from other mediums like Elder Scrolls as well, but it's like 90% EQ)

I am the only one of the group who has played EQ (except one of then, briefly when it first came out) so it gave me the opportunity to make a world that was unknown to them, but very well known to me, without being creative enough to quite make my own :p