Daybreak does not want my money anymore?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Vantose, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Vantose New Member

I have been playing everquest on and off since November of 99, i have over 8 accounts but only three are kept up to date and are played. i had planned to preorder the next xpack on all three accounts and i was going to play on the new progression server as I had played on the last three.

However last month a friend gifted me EoK on my main account, then he messed up and put a hold on the charge on his credit card. Not cause he wanted to rip any one off but because he got daybreak mixed up with another company he had placed an order with and they had never delivered what he ordered. Since he hadn't played eq since 2003 he had no idea that Sony was now called daybreak.

It took awhile for them to ban the account and i was in the hospital when they did, and was in there for over a week. When i got out I went to play and found out it was banned for charge back.

I got no complaints about that, its to be expected. so i filled out the /peti with the info and a few weeks latter the account was unbanned. I didn't mind the wait or slow response times i mean, its daybreak i expect poor customer service and they was working on the progression servers so i'm sure that made it slower right?

Well once the account was unbanned i went to login and it had a lock on it, says i have to get some SMS texting code crap. Here is the problem I don't have a cell phone, I never have had a cell phone and I don't want to have a cell phone. Am i expected to use my neighbors cell phone and run and get the number from him every time i want to login?

So sent in yet another /peti telling them i don't have a cell phone and then waited and waited and you know waited some more for them to answer. Their reply was pretty much well that is how it is. No help what so ever, my account is locked to me cause i don't want to get a cell phone and tie my account to it.

So i'ma just shut down the other two accounts and just walk away, if i can't play my main that i have been playing since 1999 i'm not going to play any more. Its kind of funny i been throwing money at eq for 17 years quit and came back a dozen times and in the end its daybreak saying your money aint worth removing this lock that has made me move on lol. they must have enough money already :(
    disgruntled likes this.
  2. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Since there is no gifting option for expansions how did your friend gift it to you? Did your friend put his credit card information on your account and order EoK through your account then mistakenly do a charge back? And now Daybreak wants to ensure you are the actual person logging in to your account by requiring this SMS stuff?
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Does the friend who "gifted" you the expansion have a cell phone?

Or you can go to Wal-Mart and buy a prepaid burner phone.

Isn't the text message a one- off to recover your password anyways? So technically you could just go to your neighbor.
  4. Ghubuk Augur

As stated, you cannot be "gifted" an expansion so something doesn't add up in your story.
  5. Thraine Augur

might be time to buckle down and step into the 21st century and get yourself a cell phone, trac phones and other pre paid phones are super cheep these days.

and no i dont think it will ask you for a text everytime you log in. in fact this is the 1st time ive ever heard of anyone needing to do this to log in, but then again everyone else in the world has a cell phone so i doubt it was an issue if it ever happened
    Orienn likes this.
  6. disgruntled Augur

I'm sympathetic. I do have a feature phone now but didn't until a year ago. I refuse to provide it to others. I have left more than a few sites that didn't want my business unless I had a cell.

Maybe they can get that second authentication thing taken off your account.
  7. Ghubuk Augur

It would be bad if they took off the second authenticaton once it has been set. Would kind of defeat the purpose of securing the account with it that way originally if someone wanted to steal your account. This actuallly sounds more like someone bought an account that had it set and now cant use it because of the sms being set up on it.
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Ah they want your money or your friend money - whichever - doesn't matter to them. Just don't share the password. You did once for the friend to enter his billing info. DB fixed that for you and during the process advised you to reset the pw to secure the account. But sounds like you didn't do that since friend who apparently still has access has now put the two step security on the account. I would ask your friend for his cell phone number to unlock it and then change the password and get a new friend.
    Setting Up 2 Step Authentication
    1. Log into your account and go to Account Management and choose Enhanced Security.
    2. Click the Button to Turn On 2-Step Verification.
    3. You will need to know the answer to your Security Question. (If you do not have one yet, you will be prompted to create one.)
    4. Enter your country and mobile phone number (ensure that the country code is correct.)
    5. You will receive an SMS message with a security code, enter it in the box provided and click Continue.
    6. Win!

You can also use this flow to change your phone number or disable 2-Step Verification.
    Note: Players that are locked for suspicious behavior may edit the phone number but are not able to disable 2-Step Authentication.
    disgruntled likes this.
  9. Vantose New Member

Catspaw I think you didn't bother to read the post what so ever, the point was I don't have a cell phone to do the SMS bullcrap and i refuses to get one for it.

Benito my friend is from California, we meet in eq in 99 as level 10 players in east commons and have been playing games online together ever since. He has moved on to only playing guildwars 2, while i have a guild wars2 account eq is my game...... Well it was my game i guess i'm off to find a new one.

Ghubuk in all honesty if i wanted to buy or steal an account this wouldn't be much of a problem at all. Theirs a dozen ways to cheat and bypass the SMS stuff from prepaid cell phones to googlevoice phone numbers. however i don't want to have to rig MY account that i have owned since 1999. Hard for most people to under stand I know.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Ok to be blunt. Your "friend" has a cell phone and set up some security stuff on your account.
  11. Vantose New Member

Catspaw you have no idea what you are talking about, the SMS was put on the account because of the charge back. Daybreak locks accounts with the SMS crap for what they call "unusual activity". Dono why your trying to make it all out to be some sinister plot lol
  12. kizant Augur

Daybreak did not turn on enhanced security for you. That process requires you to have a mobile device in the first place. It's not like you can use any old phone. They verify a phone number and tie the account to it.

Just login online to your account and turn off enhanced security. It'll prompt you for your original response to the security question and that's it. And no you can't change or rest the security question. It's stuck like that forever.

If your online account requires some additional authenticator too then go ask your friend to fix it. They must have done it.
    disgruntled likes this.
  13. ZenMaster formless, shapeless

Sounds like we are dealing with a stolen credit card and/or stolen account. Security measures are working as intended. Even the thread title is suspect.
  14. Ghubuk Augur

I agree, it is possible I am misunderstanding and apologize if I am. Explain how your friend gifted you the expansion. That might allow us to help you get things sorted out.
  15. bazinga Elder

The only way i know of at this point to "gift" the EoK expansion is to either give you their cc info and you use it to buy the expansion or for you to give them your login info...there isn't the codes from steam any more and i don't believe any other place has them either...so, something isn't quite right on this.
  16. jeskola pheerie

This is where eq is headed. Old fogies who won't get cellphones and are hospitalized frequently.

I am glad you are ok after your hospitalization.
    A_ranger001 likes this.
  17. disgruntled Augur

That's where EQ already is. This old fogie has frequent hospitalizations and has a data phone. I just refuse to be a dumpster for text spam. Nobody but family gets the number, not even Facebook.
  18. Sissruukk Rogue One

The SMS is a one time text code, not one that you have to do every time you log into the account. I had to set it up when I did an xfer of a toon from one account to another, and was under the impression that it would happen every time I logged in. It only happened once, and that was when I initially set it up.

As for not having a phone, well, that is your own choice. No one is forcing you to buy one. However, if this is how Daybreak does account verification to ensure nothing hinky is going on, then they have every right to do so.
  19. Kajira Journeyman

https://voice.google.com

But if you are getting the secondary authentication your account probably already has a phone number attached to it.
  20. Janakin Augur

It is a one time authentication, not every time you login.