If mage pets are nerfed why aren't necro pets?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Bella222, May 31, 2017.

1. Prathun Developer

Both Necromancer and Mage pets have lowered stats on progression servers for balance reasons and to better reflect their stats at launch and in the game's early expansions.
  2. Boosi Lorekeeper

Lol "to reflect games early expansions"

You realize we are playing on a live version of everquest locked on expac content 1.

Don't get me wrong, I'm having a blast, but to nerf a level 20 necro pet for classicness when we have merged commons, sro, translocation, indoor sow/selo, 3x poison dot damage, focus items, triple attack, etc is funny
  3. Kahna Augur

Merged CL/Ro, indoor sow and translocates don't upset the balance of the game nearly as much as un-nerfed mage pets did. Those things were crazy strong. Multiple red mobs? No problem. Pet can tank them all without missing a beat. They may have said they brought them more in line with classic, but what they meant is they brought them more in line with a game where people actually play through those low levels and don't just blaze through them in an afternoon with their merc.
    snailish likes this.
  4. PlumbGame New Member

One step at a time. The progress on servers to replicate the experience is substantial compared to many years ago. I would rather take band aids while working on other ways to replicate the experience rather nothing at all. Even P99 hasn't imitated the classic experience perfectly. Do you mock them?
  5. snailish Augur

Honestly, I support any changes they want to make that make playing on progression more fun with meaningful content.

This generally means more balance is okay vs. "as it was" or "as it is on live". For this reason I'm okay with no defiant, no corpse runs, modified XP rates, newbie armor quests flagged to PoP and so on. Not that I like everything, but overall EQ progression is good, and I have liked the last few rounds more than I did the first few.

This means I would have no problem with some early rogue weapons being just a wee bit better. Or wizards having some spells made more mana-efficient to boost their overall DPS. People talk about these two classes a lot. Maybe they need a tweak for progression, maybe they don't. I don't have the data to hold a strong view. But if they get changed to increase balance/fun then go for it.

In the same vein, I remain optimistic the tutorial will get era-moved to GoD and/or have the later armor we saw on Phinny era-moved at least. No need to obsolete the newbie armor quests the same day they are allowed after all. Give all content it's time of being useful. Hence the adjustment to pets.
  6. Rauven Augur

Sure lets unnerf the pets.But we need to allow Monks, Rangers, Rogues, and Warriors to equal that damage output. Your level 20 pet likely does the DPS of a level 40 or higher Rogue/Ranger. In its nerfed state.

And if those classes can do the damage of your pet in its unnerfed state, you'll be overlooked for groups as they can continuously do such damage, bring other buffs and abilities, and have literally zero downtime with an occasional heal thrown at them.

Things are the way they are because of necessity. You get some spells earlier. Use them. Casters are in a good spot. Melee are slightly worse off but not destitute.
  7. skattabrainz Augur

Get a necro of equal level to agree to this experiment. Have a /duel with them. Each of you summon a new pet, apply your buffs, and give the pet a rusty.

Sic pet onto pet and see which one dies first.

It won't be yours.
  8. DreamerAgnar New Member

amen, if we were really going for classic here we'd at the very least have corpse runs. the fact that we dont negates nerfing necro pets, which were weak anyway compared to the mage pets, and now are even weaker while mage pets still do great dps but cant tank, necro pets? splat.
  9. Dabrixmgp Augur

The most ridiculous, and unnecessary necro nerf of ALL TIME was when they removed the giant brown skeleton with yellow eyes model. Then Necros received a further game changing nerf when old spectre models were banned.

PS. anyone know how to get brown models back? they use them in pee99 so they gotta be around somewhere.
    Prathun likes this.
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

Go back to P99?
  11. Dabrixmgp Augur

cant go back to somewhere you never been
  12. Adonhiram Augur

As a mage, I fully agree. It's just stupid to call for nerf for other fellow players, I remember the talk about MotoW and beastlord pets when Luclin went live on TLP servers. It makes more sense to ask the devs about the logic of a decision and questioning it in an intelligent way, which has more chance to bring an improvement/a fix than nagging and expressing class envy.
  13. snailish Augur

I'm generally not in favor of nerfs. Pets owning several expacs worth of progression had to be dealt with though.

If the choice is buff 13+ classes or adjust pets for a few early expacs for a couple of classes I can see why they went that route.

The alternate route of buffing 13 or so classes to be balanced/competitive/desirable in groups compared to live server lower level pets has the very obvious consequence of trivializing the content (even more than it already is by various things some would say).

I don't see the majority of zones pre-GoD being retuned to suit a wide ranging buff to classes. So then the solution is lower XP to slow us down. That works to a point, and provides potion sales --but I think Daybreak is pretty dialed in at what thresholds work for this (and Agnarr to me was aimed a group that didn't want less XP per kill).

Personally, I'd rather have slower combat with tactics on harder mobs that give good XP. I find that more entertaining than rapid slaughtering of easy things level after level.

So while the pet nerf/adjustment for progression may not be favored for those classes, it was probably the easiest way to deal with the situation. And on Agnarr it was done before the server launched so it isn't like anyone was invested in a character if the balance bothers a person that much.
  14. Trevalon Augur

Come on people. Yes, it is true that nerfing pets does have the added effect of making them closer to classic than on previous TLP servers, and yes that does make at least this aspect more "Classic" but anyone who has played on these servers knows exactly why pets are nerfed and it has nothing to do with it being classic.

If you want to blame anyone for it blame the people who brought 50 mages to raid encounters and cheesed them to death by mass summoning OP pets. That is why they were nerfed in power for Phinny and that is why we have MOTOW now.

Either way, I am glad it was changed, for those who were not around for the absolute ridiculousness that was the mass mage armies and what they used to do, well you won't understand because you didn't see it, for those of us that were around and saw it - well the pet nerf is a good one that needed to happen.

P.S. My main is a necro on Agnarr
    snailish likes this.
  15. Finley Augur

With Instancing and True Box code I think the nerfing of magicians is overkill. If someone manages to run 50 mages and kill a boss in their own instance, who cares? It just funds Daybreak with 50 accounts (even if they use up Krono, someone is paying for the accounts).

I think there have been too many solutions thrown at a "problem" and then when it finally got "solved" it was just considered a done deal, and none of the previous "solutions" that didn't solve the problem were readdressed; they were just left as is.
  16. Gremin Augur

Please stop using the word classic wrong. These servers aren't meant to be classic in feel or a time warp to 1999. They are progression servers meant to progress through the content that Daybreak has modified so we as players can enjoy. Every class is going to have an ebb and flow to it in regards to how good it is in that current expansion.

Btw, we are playing classic on Agnarr right now not reliving classic in 99.