Graphics optimization?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by oldemangamer, Feb 20, 2016.

1. oldemangamer Augur

I have good hardware, but it doesn't seem like the game is running as well as it should, given its age and my hardware. Get slowdowns which is really surprising me. Computer runs ESO on high settings butter smooth.

Haven't started fooling around with settings yet, but wondering if there are any things that need to be turned on or off as they are known to improve performance.

Played last year and wasn't having this problem with the same hardware.

Thanks much!
  2. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Probably because of its age, EQ isn't very efficient at doing some of the things that newer games do just fine. There are guides and info on the game's settings out there, but very little official info. I would check out Fanra's page and maybe this old post here. I really wish DB would add this info in an FAQ on the homepage (there is a very limited page in the support KB, but it's missing the most important settings).

For me, the big three settings to improve performance have been:
    • Clip Plane (you can use the hotkeys to change this on the fly while you are playing, especially in laggy zones like PoK)
    • Shadows (turn off)
    • Advanced Lighting (turn off)
    I also limit the names displayed and use /shownames to show short names.

I've got a screenshot of my settings here.
  3. Silgurdar New Member

Also, do not forget the possibility that the INI file has the dreaded CPUAffinity 0 setting. It will limit EQ to only one core and if you have dual-core / quad core / HT (Harm Touch, right? No, this time it is Hyper Threading... I hate acronyms!).
  4. oldemangamer Augur

I do see where it is set to 0. But I see threads saying 0=0 is ok?

Also I will try the settings you posted in your screenshot.

Thanks much!
  5. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

If you change it at all, I think you want to change it to "-1". I think this basically let's Windows assign EQ to a core (whichever one Windows thinks is best, usually the least taxed core). I'm not finding concrete reference info and I haven't tested, but I think the setting of "0" most likely assigns EQ to the 1st core (a setting of "1" would fix EQ to the second core, etc.). The 1st core of a CPU is probably the most taxed, since many system tasks are controlled from it (including, I think, the assignment of other processes to other cores).
  6. Silgurdar New Member

If your "CPUAffinity0" is set to "0", and you have more than one CPU core (which every PC since 10 years ago has), it should be set to "-1".

The CPUAffinity0 is for the first instance of EQ you are running.
    The CPUAffinity1 is for the second instance, if you are dual boxing and running 2 instances of EQ on same PC
    The CPUAffinity 2 is if you are really crazy and running 3 instances of EQ on same PC
    And so on...

So CPUAffnity0 is what you probably want to look at.

All of them should be set to "-1" which will allow Windows to use all available CPU cores.
  7. oldemangamer Augur

Thanks all. Followed your suggestions and redid the configuration before log in. Not sure what did it, but it runs great now, 150-350 fps :)
    Margot Heart likes this.
  8. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

/rez from the dead....

To bring this to light, I'm not a computer techy type, but I am about to build an ok budget friendly desktop and would like know how I can adjust this core setting? Is it in the bios, control panel, where? All my parts and pieces should be here next week so I am actively looking for ways to make sure I have max performance.
    Margot Heart likes this.
  9. moogs Augur

Find your eqclient.ini file.
    Margot Heart likes this.
  10. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

Awesome thank you!