Verizon Jetpack

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Oopity, May 30, 2017.

1. Oopity New Member

Has anybody tried playing EQ using the Verizon Jetpack? My job requires me to live on the road, so I was thinking of getting the Jetpack so I can get my EQ fix while on downtime. If you've tried it, how was it?
  2. Bloodstalker New Member

as long as you're in one of the current 450 cities that it is available in, it should be almost as fast as cable internet when it peaks in speed, and should be more than enough for everquest. probably more reliable than hotel WIFI too
    disgruntled likes this.
  3. disgruntled Augur

What he said about cities. For a decade, our only choice was Verizon DSL. Frequent disconnects. They don't care about their copper at all.
  4. Oopity New Member

Am I missing something? I understood the Jetpack turns your 4g signal into a WiFi basically just like a hotspot. I didn't see anything about available only in a few cities.
  5. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

The jetpack is basically a cell phone without access to all the bells and whistles of a regular phone. It lets you tether to it via wifi and is available anywhere you can get verizon service. I had one when I worked on the road as well. I also had my regular cell phone on at&t so I could tether to it in case verizon didn't have very good service where I was.
  6. Oopity New Member

That's what I thought, but thanks for clarifying that. Did you try playing EQ on it?
  7. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

I played EQ on mine all that time if I was in a area that had good service. Of course I would test it out first before logging into eq to see what kind of packet loss and pings I would get from eq servers before I played. If I was in the middle of no where most of those cell phone towers are overloaded and will boot you off the tower in intervals.
  8. Oopity New Member

Awesome, that's the kind of info I was looking for, thanks!
  9. Koryu Professional Roadkill

I was a field service representative for the last 4 years; did a lot of travel from coast to coast, including out to Hawaii and up to Alaska. Hotels have unreliable internet connections, so I paid for a mobile hotspot. It just so happens my choice was to go with Verizon and use one of their Jetpacks. Not only did I play on this connection, but it was reliable enough to raid on. EverQuest is pretty low on both bandwidth and actual data consumed. Reliability of connectivity and low ping seems more important. I never really had problems with those two things, just about everywhere I went had an LTE network, or at least 4G. I think on the 4G networks, I was up to around 100 ping.
    I no longer have to travel for a living, but I wish you luck and intestinal fortitude for choosing to do so.
  10. Captain Video Augur

Network congestion wherever you are will be the deciding factor. The launcher will give you timeout errors if your ping is > 100 ms. Once you are in-game, you should be able to play just fine with pings up to 200 ms. Higher than that and you'll start seeing some lag.

Your biggest bandwidth hogs on a wireless network are people streaming video. That means late afternoon through mid-evening are the most likely congestion spikes. Now if a tower near you goes down, all bets are off.
  11. Maedhros High King

Moved from DC to San Diego last year at the start of beta. Had great internet every evening in the hotels along the way with the Jetpack. We stopped near the big cities along the way, but never had internet that was not fast enough to run EQ. Dont expect to stream Netflix though!
  12. Treygolas Journeyman

I've been using mine off and on since December, when I'm traveling for work, and it works fine for me.
  13. Coagagin Guild house cat

Its fine for hotel rooms and plays EQ just fine. I wouldn't recommend large raid level encounters depending on the strength of the signal.

I have owned one for years and yes I have played EQ occasionally as my only connection as I too often live on the road,

- -Coa
  14. Oopity New Member

Lots of good info here, not just for me, but anybody else considering a jetpack. Thank you much!
    Metanis likes this.