Enchanter rune tanking?

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Talomis, May 31, 2017.

1. Talomis New Member

Just wondering if this was still viable. Ive been watching videos on youtube but they are older so figured i would ask here for up to date info!
  2. DruidCT Augur

They probably don't want to make too much of a fuss about it, but it is impressive. I've had one tell my warrior to stand down and let him tank instead.
  3. mackal Augur

They nerfed some stacking you used to be able to do. I don't know the full details since I don't have an enchanter that high.
  4. High Voltage Augur

That's not a problem many warriors will ever encounter, though.
  5. DruidCT Augur

Yeah because there aren't many enchanters.
  6. Ankarv Harbinger of Nightmares

nerfed into the ground, not really viable any more.
  7. High Voltage Augur

Or maybe not many warriors are that bad?
  8. DruidCT Augur

Missing the point. The point wasn't that the warrior was bad but that the enchanter could do it and he enjoyed doing it and wanted to play that way since it was just a casual goofing off group. We were pulling singles so we let him have his fun. We didn't continue this way long, not sure if he could go indefinitely or not but he required very little healing and made me, at least, go hmmm..... seemed kinda wrong.
  9. fransisco Augur

Anything that detracts from tanks in this game gets destroyed.
  10. Jumbur Improved Familiar

We did an open raid in CotF-neriak yesterday, where an enchanter tanked one of the golems.(I think, I wasn't really paying attention to the tankorder...)
  11. fransisco Augur

an enchanter (probably raid gear) tanked 4 expansion old content with a pack of raid healers behind him?

Even a druid could manage that,
  12. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Probably, but its the only example of chanter-tanking I have seen post-nerf. Pre-nerf I duo-ed most of EoK-progression with a chanter-tank.
  13. Tyreel Augur

They have nerfed it to the point that it is not a stable tanking ability alone and when runes do drop off we splat fast. For trivial content/1 or 2 short groups fight with our back up abilities are up we might 'seem better', but just long term stability for tanking a group geared tank out does my raid geared chanter while keeping agro much easier.

That is sort of the spot where our ability is designed to exist so we can survive long enough to survive a bad pull to get CC done.
  14. Tucoh Augur

As a warrior I think it's a shame they nerfed enchanter tanking. As long as enchanters don't start becoming the premiere tanks by a sizable margin I think it's great.
    Ratbo Peep and fransisco like this.
  15. Asmadeus Journeyman

Cool, I'll tell Bud he's a pack of raid healers on his own :p

Old raid stuff aside, the "nerf" we had is just a long-ish recast, which wasn't too bad in itself on stunnable mobs (I actually considered that a boost, since they shortened the cast time in the same change; it was pretty nice)..
    The main "problem" tanking atm is that they broke the stun proc on rune fade with April patch - it's still possible to tank with good gear and limiting the amount of mobs but will actually require some heals now. I don't think this change was on purpose, but have yet to see anyone up there acknowledge there's a problem. I guess it'll be fixed once one spell of that line appears on a TLP server (first is level 75, shouldn't be too far?) at which point it'll become a priority bug :p
    Jumbur likes this.
  16. Brohg Augur

lol, trüf
  17. Narknon Augur

I was able to briefly tank some CoTF raid mobs while it was current. Could also swarm entire HAs when combod with my Wiz and Shaman. What all changed? Haven't played in years now.
  18. fransisco Augur

The combined rune spell that casts both now has a recast time of ~ 27 seconds.
  19. Sindaiann Augur

It's still possible but not nearly like it was before. The real issue before was unity spells didn't share a timer. That being fixed was the main issue but changing unity recast time to what it is now was awful.

However good enchanters know something.
  20. Chaosflux Augur

Just something? I thought it was all the things ;)