The Agnarr Kill-Stealing Epidemic

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Celestias, May 31, 2017.

1. Celestias Journeyman

Hey all,

I just wanted to bring it to the forefront (some of you may already be aware but others not) that there's currently a major issue with camping certain high value targets such as the Efreeti for the Golden Efreeti Boots / Djarn's Ring.

Currently there is a group of nefarious individuals picking through each zone and DPS racing lower level groups to get the loot for themselves over groups who have earned the 'camp'.

Items like these are currently monopolized in the market and if you've bought GEBs or Djarn's Ring in the past week it's likely been from someone who's been doing this tactic to obtain it.

Now, I *know* what some of you are going to say, that its "legal" to DPS race and I'm not here to argue legality of it but to bring forth the ethics of it. I believe this behavior is by its very nature bad for the game and I for one believe it will hurt EverQuest TLP in the long run if it continues. This is just my opinion, agree with it or not, but I hope the developers read this and consider figuring out a way to address this problem.
  2. Mwapo Augur

Lol. Good luck.
  3. Kahna Augur

It was a given that this would happen. Smart TLP players already knew to avoid the Freeti in classic. No gear is the be all end all of anything. THe boots are already going for only 1 Krono, it won't be long before they aren't worth the hassle and other groups can get in there. Just avoid it and it will blow over. It didn't kill Phinny, it won't kill Agnarr.
    Bailen, Your_Ad_Here and Celestias like this.
  4. Celestias Journeyman

I agree with you this may happen -- Although some of these items are going to be valuable for quite longer I think. And this approach (avoid it) doesn't address the root of the issue which I'm getting at, still appreciate the reply and your thoughts on the matter as this did occur to me as one approach.
  5. Accipiter Old Timer

Yes, it's horrible but nothing can be done with the current staff and philosophy of DBG. There are basically no GMs and DPS racing is now considered acceptable.
  6. jeskola pheerie

Wait, on another thread, Rauven claimed this behavior has been defeated on Agnarr by a combination of lots of picks and nice people.
  7. Espiritun Augur

I hope you realize you're pleading for 'ethics' with neckbeareded basement dwellers whom consider KS'ing an achievement because its all they got
    Xanumbik, Tyche, moogs and 4 others like this.
  8. Celestias Journeyman

Very true but if enough people say something, it stands a chance this could change. I'm trying to take the approach of appealing to whoever may be listening rather than accepting it for what it is now.

"Always remember: Never accept Norrath as it appears to be. Dare to see it for what it could be."
    Ellis likes this.
  9. Celestias Journeyman

It's impossible to get everyone to change their behavior, so I'm not necessarily appealing to the community at large as much as hoping the developer stance on this may be revisited. Believe it or not, I don't believe the majority of the playerbase are like this, most are good people. But as they say, it's easy for a few to ruin it for the larger group.

Making this behavior 'legal' definitely doesn't help the game at all, it definitely drives players away and I'm wondering if anyone at daybreak done an analysis to quantify the negative effect it has.
  10. Kahna Augur

How would they change it though? What is a viable and cost effective means of addressing this issue. It's not going to be solved by customer service, that is too expensive. DPS is the current solution. If you want the freeti camp bring more friends and do more dps. It's really the only, cost effective, method they can afford to implement right now, and that is not likely to change. What other ways can you suggest that they address this issue? They put in picks, but no one really spends enough time exping in the zone for lots of picks to open, it's just one of those things that suffers.

Really, just wait, they are devaluing faster on this server than they did on past servers due to the fact that lots of folks are out there trying to grab Krono, but not a lot of the target audience (returning players/P99ers) has Krono, or cares to use it. That's why krono are getting so expensive so fast, the demand is much higher and the supply much lower. It will drive the krono-grabbers off soon enough. Most of them are only here for a diversion while they wait for GoD and aren't hardcore with the farming. Once GEBs drop below 1 Krono each you will see the camp open up more to folks farming it for their guild.
  11. Mwapo Augur

They've done analysis to realize they can't afford to hire anyone to investigate every claim of KSing, training, etc. The days of GMs everywhere you look is long over. Losing accounts is obviously cheaper than paying for the manpower to deal with everything.
  12. AgentofChange Augur

DPS is king. Like I've said in other threads, if you want the high end group loot with limited competition wait a month, or purchase it. If you want to get it immediately you will have to fight for it.
  13. Xoner Baby Joesph Sayer

I won't try to discourage you on this. It's a noble gesture but I don't think you should put all your eggs in this "hoping for change" basket. In the meantime I just suggest people roll deep with their friends/guild mates and fight back.
    Daas and Celestias like this.
  14. Baldur Augur

Get 6 people together and pop an instance of solb every week. Track and see if efreeti is up.

You can't do this if you're in a raiding guild, but it's how I got gebs on Phinny.
  15. Kahna Augur

If you don't kill anything there is no loot lockout and you can pull an instance to check ever 2.5 days.

16. Boosi Lorekeeper

Have not experienced this at all, not really an epidemic. Good luck.
  17. Drakkal Elder

This is a BS excuse, GMs are not exactly high paid positions, not to mention you can avoid 3/4 cost by implementing a guide system in which they work for free. It is obvious that DBG created Agnarr with the idea of pulling back in older players and those over on P1999. Now if you want to retain them you have to do something that at least appears like you understand customer frustrations.

In general I don't see complaints targeted at changing the way the TLPs function, but would like some type of assistance with what has become less then desired player behavior. Despite what some of you kids think or specifically the trolls on these threads would have you believe, the greatest thing about EQ 12+ years ago, was it's community. A good, respectful community is what most of us returning players want more then anything out of Agnarr. Don't get me wrong I really like a lot about the "New" EQ, but damn, kids need rules for a reason.
  18. TLP Addict Augur

You'd think they would weigh up the costs between lost subs after people get sick of being trained or KS'd.... sorry DPS raced vs the cost of better policing the play nice policy.

Maybe they already have and decided to throw the player base under the bus for a quick buck?

Who knows for sure what they are thinking.
  19. Cman New Member

I agree this sucks and these are horrible people and I wish people they weren't here.

But... let's not forget people out there are creating enough demand for it to exist.

And look, we're talking Daybreak here, you got to lower your expectations or you'll just be disappointed.

There has to be a serious threat for Daybreak to invest into something, just look at the massive improvements H1Z1 has had since the launch of Player Unknown Battlegrounds.

So based on that, you've got to mount a campaign where enough people will/have canceled their subscription over the issue... at which point you yourself are not playing, which is what they're counting on, you'll put up with it.
  20. Trevalon Augur

Heh, I posted numerous times about this kind of stuff happening in pre-launch threads and so many P99ers and old schoolers posted that this just won't happen cause those kind of people wouldn't play on a locked server.

I don't condone this kind of behavior, but it is just how EQ is in 2017, either adapt or quit in disgust whatever your fancy, but it is what it is. Earlier today we got to a camp and someone else walked in and tried to claim they had "wiped" and were running back. So we DPS raced for a few mins they lost all the kills and my group took the camp. We didn't do it out of spite, we didn't do it cause we could, we did it cause you can't trust anyone and the "we wiped" is just an excuse to steal your camp and at the end of the day whoever can dps the most wins.

Welcome to 2017.
    Punchu likes this.
  21. Healbro Elder

No thanks to NannyQuest. You should be able to do anything the game allows you to do. Including training and dispelling peoples charm pets and whatever else. If they don't want you to do those things they should make them impossible to do. Don't want people to dispel other players charms? Add a dispel immunity to charm. Don't want people to "KS" other players? Implement a WoW-style system where once you tag a mob its yours til you or the mob dies.

I never understood banning/suspending or otherwise punishing players simply for doing something fully within the games mechanics. Using 3rd party programs or hacking or whatever is different and obviously shouldn't be allowed. But screw all these other nonsense rules. Let people play how they want to play and let the community decide whats acceptable or not. If players go outside whats deemed acceptable their reputation will suffer for it and that should be punishment enough.