What ever happened to /pick sending you to the zonein?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by squidgod, May 27, 2017.

1. squidgod Augur

Wasn't that a thing on past TLPs?
  2. Prathun Developer

Not that I recall. If it did, /pick would be used for teleportation, which is not the intent of the load balancing system.
  3. Ellise Journeyman

I think it was proposed for a while in order to prevent people exploiting named camps across multiple instances, but I don't think it was ever implemented.
    Xanadas and Sumonerr_Tunare like this.
  4. squidgod Augur

vs. picking through instances sniping named instead of holding camps
  5. Your_Ad_Here Augur

Hm, good question. My memory is hazy BUT, I do remember being in a group for Unrest, and when people changed picks, they were at the entrance.

But I could be wrong.
  6. AgentofChange Augur

You are just not remembering it correctly. It never put you at the zonein.
  7. Baldur Augur

/pick has never taken you to zone in. It's always put you in the exact same place you picked over from.

And I've played on Ragefire since launch, transferred to Lockjaw, and then started on Phinny.

There was talk at one point of wanting it to do this because of people abusing it to farm named in multiple instances, but it never happened.
  8. Your_Ad_Here Augur

Ah ok, well like I said ... old woman, bad memory.
  9. Basak Augur

It was indeed something that was talked about to prevent people from pick farming the same camp. However the teleportation exploit was more of an issue so instead they increased the time between picks to 5 minutes to help combat it.
  10. Captain Video Augur

Personally, I'd vote to extend the /pick timer to 10 or even 15 minutes on the TLPs. I think if you're going to play on an old world server, you should expect to have a little old world patience.
  11. Machentoo Augur

Agnarr isn't an old world server. And 15 minute pickzones sound great, until your healer accidentally picks into the wrong pickzone and your entire group has to sit around for 15 minutes waiting. Or you have four people pick over to four different picks to /ooc and find out which one has an open camp, and now by the time everyone can pick over fifteen minutes later, the camp is taken. Or any of a dozen other scenarios.
    Your_Ad_Here likes this.
  12. Xoner Baby Joesph Sayer

[IMG]
    HighTankz, Rhodz and Machentoo like this.
  13. Basak Augur

Perhaps if there was a way to make it 15 minutes with exceptions to certain circumstances. I'm sure it would probably be a difficult thing to program. But maybe have a small area by the zone-in have a shorter (like the current 5min) timer but if you pick beyond that small area at zone-in the pick is 15 minutes.
  14. Machentoo Augur

The problem (and they have tried several variations) is that the exceptions are always open to abuse. If it is 15 minutes unless you zone out, people just zone out and reset the timer. If it's just a small area by the zonein that has a shorter timer, well the pick zone farmers will still do their thing, but now they will also train every group between that spot and the stuff they are farming. You might slow them down a little, but you won't stop them.
  15. Prathun Developer

Increasing the time between /pick could reduce the likelihood that someone will bounce between load balanced zones to cherry pick rares, but there are side effects to that.
  16. Throndor Augur

Pick as you zone in or succor on pick. We've already had this discussion. Do I need to post the pm where I was told by gms that this would not be considered an issue unless the player base considered it an issue? Guess what? The player base considers it an issue.
  17. Rhodz Augur

Actually not, like it the way it is now tbh.
    Only reason any issue exists is the non-enforcement of rules, making things harder for everyone else is getting pretty danged old.
  18. Xoner Baby Joesph Sayer

So 2 whiners represent the whole playerbase now? Interesting.
  19. Gemini Syringes Augur

Not a perfect system, but no one has proposed an option that is better and not open to a different type of abuse. If you're asking for a change with no reasonable alternative, you're just whining.
  20. Elderan New Member

Pick should have a 30 min timer after you kill a main named mob in an instance. Every zone would have select mobs which cause the 30 min timer. For example lower guk frenzy, magus would cause it.

This would help pick hopping and rare snipping a ton. Would not take longer than a few hours to come up with the list.