Any starting areas not overcrowded?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Hogarth, May 25, 2017.

1. Hogarth New Member

Howdy folks, i was hoping to get a start on Agnarr but unfortunately found GFay to be pretty unplayable do to even the lowest population instances i could find having more people going after the level 1-3 mobs than there where mobs to get. Are any of the starting areas uncrowded enough to just go mob to mob and kill stuff to level up without competing for a scarce resource?
  2. Syraniss New Member

You could try Toxx... I doubt anyone was foolish enough to stay in that zone longer than it took to run through it.
  3. Machentoo Augur

If two people are in the zone, Toxx is overcrowded.
  4. Your_Ad_Here Augur

Oi! I'm in Toxx!
  5. Massimo_Bertoxx Augur

I've started toons in both Gfay and Halas and if you use the picks it's been a nice healthy flow of people but no crazy crowds outside of the main zones, which is to be expected.
    snailish likes this.
  6. Breeziyo New Member

Remember to utilize /pick. You might be able to switch over to a separate instance of the same zone with less people.
    snailish likes this.
  7. DariyaVika Augur

I didn't find Feerot to be overcrowded.
    snailish likes this.
  8. snailish Augur

North Qeynos had 3 versions up last night when I was there:
    main pick 89 players
    Pick 5 20ish
    Pick 6 25ish

Playing in pick 5 or 6 and moving around a bit it was no problem. I was in Toxxulia briefly (before a red con erudite ate me) and it was actually pretty busy.

Races that are less common, that can't be enchanters, mages, necromancers, monks, druids would likely have less-busy starter areas. So Feerott, Innothule Swamp, Everfrost (low mob count there, even as adjusted I believe). Then again, the initial rush may be so large that all the zones are busy, just some don't have picks open.
  9. Yruc Augur

as mentioned above don't forget to use /pick.. For instance, last night halas area 67 people in zone, did a /pick and only 17 in another instance.. I changed instances and then there were things to kill :)
    snailish likes this.
  10. Prathun Developer

This man speaks the truth.
    [IMG]

Not only would it be less crowded in base Greater Faydark if people there spread to other pickzones, but two new pickzones would open up. Use /pick! Please!
  11. Rauven Augur

Can confirm this works.
  12. Zinth Augur

Easier said then done. loads of those "new" players that haven't played EQ (*cough* p99 *cough*) have no clue about /pick

On another note, shouldn't there BE more picks already? 50+ people in ALL picks and 188 in main? Should spin up new picks at around 30-40 players at most...
  13. Alexanders Augur

I think at one point shortly after /pick was introduced there were some extra exceptions added for a few zones like Greater Fay and the Common lands because through the first few expansions they serve as trade hubs so they function a little different than other /pick zones.
  14. Hellzar New Member

You always zone into the main pick, so if nobody is leaving the main pick it will fill up more and more.
  15. Turkeygoblin New Member

It's silly how much hate Toxx gets. I don't think you guys know what you're talking about. Toxx is freaking fantastic up to 10, higher if you have a good group to go to Kerra. There are so many spots with 50 mobs that path right through you. A few spots with about 50 level 3-5 mobs that path through you, and a few more spots with about 50 level 6-11 mobs that path through you. It's also decent cash and you have a merchant you can sell to really quickly and get back to exping.
    Your_Ad_Here likes this.
  16. Turkeygoblin New Member

Or, just, you know, automatically open a new pick once there is a total # of people in the entire zone. Would help a ton. Trying to force a new pick open is a pain sometimes, and doesn't always seem to work. If you guys made it so a new pick auto opened up regardless of how people are spread out if the numbers warrant it, it would help everyone.
  17. Syllestrae Elder

I've been playing in Qeynos. There's been enough players to have about 3 picks open in qeynos hills and blackburrow, but definitely doesn't feel crowded. The blackburrow picks tend to have around 15 ppl in them.

Tox forest isn't crowded, but so hard to see out there.
  18. Basak Augur

Not always true though. I zoned into a pick before, it doesn't happen often and when it does it only happens when I'm boxing and zone one character to another zone and then back. I was in Qeynos Hills 6 when my Warrior zoned into Blackburrow (base) leaving my Cleric in QH6. I zoned back to Qeynos Hills into Qeynos Hills pick 5. Also, when I ran my warrior from Halas to Qeynos North I zoned into Qeynos North Pick 2. My Cleric came from Erudin and entered Qeynos North Pick 1. However, as I said it doesn't happen all that often and most of the time I do zone into base or the pick my group is in if I am joining a group before zoning in.
  19. Prathun Developer

I can take another look at zone population versus load balancing thresholds when I've got a free cycle, and that may help alleviate overcrowding in some situations, but Gfaydark base is still going to be overcrowded if people don't know how or don't want to use /pick.
  20. -wycca Augur

I won't speak as to every zone, but so far, in all the zones I've been in, the (newish) pick thresholds you guys use are pretty darn spot-on for a zone that is populated, but not overly so.
    Prathun likes this.