EQ 2 Vet, Never Played EQ 1. Extremely Interested.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Parall, May 24, 2017.

1. Parall New Member

I REALLY want to play on this new server. I know nothing about the old world. Would I still be welcomed and be able to compete if I do my research? How's the population going to be looking?
  2. AgentofChange Augur

Never played EQ1? History has shown these people never stick around. Good luck to you sir. You would definitely be welcome. However, you will more than likely fall into a deep pit of despair about halfway through level 1 and never return.
  3. Parall New Member

I mean, I have played it but I don't really remember it. It was during my early mmo years and I never really had access to it. The graphics don't bother me, but if there are UI enhancements (which there seem to be) I'd probably be fine. Not really proud to admit, but I have played most, if not all notable mmo's.
  4. Massimo_Bertoxx Augur

You picked a great time. This is going to be a good one. Will be plenty of people playing and if you need help just ask here or in your class channel in game. There's the occasional turd, like any game, but most people are friendly and understand the game can take some getting used to because it's different than most modern mmos.

Given any thoughts to class? You will have fun on any of them depending on how you like to play. Would advise against a bard or enchanter to start as they can be kind of complex but if you don't mind a learning curve you would fine.
    Margot Heart likes this.
  5. Lekkric18 Elder

Wow, way to be optimistic there AoC.

Yes, you will be welcomed as long as you make an effort to learn your class and responsibilities. The population will be sky high, at least to start, so you won't have any trouble getting a group. I'd advise that you join a guild because they will be more patient than the average group with helping you get your footing. There looks to be a ton of great guilds around, just find one that fits and you'll be fine.
  6. AgentofChange Augur

You see this as an advantage, but it is often the reason new players leave EQ. They just can't handle how challenging EQ is compared to every modern MMO out there, and that's even with all the quality of life changes that has made EQ easier to live with over the years.
  7. Malokhan Elder

EQ2 to EQ1, you will have about 1bajilllion less buttons and abilities. This is a good thing. EQ2 went overboard on spells/abilities. You will not be behind with a lack of knowledge, everything is documented someplace if your google-fu is strong. Most of us will be envious of your fresh EQ1 experiences we keep trying to recapture. What ever class you play, find a mentor in game to chat with about basics and mechanic understanding relevant to your class.
  8. Jenarie Elder

Most old-timers love finding a true newbie. If you are willing to learn you will find lots of people willing to help you figure stuff out. It would help to tell your groups you are new and open to advice. Most of us are going to assume anyone we run into has been playing for years unless told otherwise but with rare exception people will be patient with someone figuring stuff out.

Try it! Level 1 is boring and slow. If you make it past level 1 it gets slightly better although the game really (for me anyway) isn't all that fun until you make it past level 10. But once there it starts taking off and some of the low/mid level dungeons are some of the best zones in the game and I'm always sorry to out level them so quickly.

If you happen to be home waiting for the server to open, it might help to play through the tutorial on a live server. That level of gear won't be in the game yet but it will give you some of the basic mechanics. You'll find a lot of similarities to EQ2 but some stuff is totally different so it can trip you up a bit.
  9. Wolrok Elder

Ignore AgentofChange, put 15 bux down and give it a shot.

Expect to kill mobs to gain exp. Expect to have trouble soloing on anything but spell casters.
  10. Mashef Augur

As a new player it's generally best to start with a caster dps, melee dps or healer archetype (shaman or cleric will get more groups than druid).

Rogues, Rangers, Bards, Wizards, Mages, Necromancers, Shaman and Cleric are better starting classes. People will have less patience if your a bad tank or enchanter. A monk is also a decent enough starting class but your inability to carry anything will leave you poor for a while. They are high dps and you might be able to find some pullers in a guild who can teach you pulling.

Utilize your class channel and most people are helpful. Sometimes even asking in General is great because there will be folks who know your class well but they rolled something else this time.

Population should be solid on Agnarr, maybe even overloaded to start since Phinny is between expansions. Phinny is also going to begin its twilight somewhere in the next 6 months. In 6 months Agnarr begins peaking with Velious launch.
  11. Ellis Elder

There are elitist morons out there who only want to group with experienced players...but they're also elitist morons. I imagine they'll be a minority in the community.
  12. Amoeba Augur

Go for it! <3 More the merrier!
  13. Massimo_Bertoxx Augur

Yeah, that's a good heads up. 1-10 sucks pretty much. You don't really feel your class till the teens and some later.

Also be prepared for older graphics. I've been playing this game since launch, as recently as a year ago, and getting the game loaded on a new PC last night even I paused for a second about how old it looks. Classic is from 99 so you gotta roll with that. It gets more modern with each expansion. Regardless, the reason we are all here is gameplay. This game beats every other MMO on so many levels in the gameplay.
  14. Parall New Member

I was thinking of either going Necro or Mage for soloing. Wizard seems better for big groups but, necro seems to be a good middle ground.
    Mashef likes this.
  15. Mashef Augur

Both necro and mage are powerful in classic. Good options to get going. I would say mages are wanted more so in groups and a necro can solo better. I'm sure there are dissenting and agreeing opinions on this. I personally don't discriminate against pet classes.
  16. Wolrok Elder

I wouldn't do rogue or ranger.

My suggestions would be Wizard, Magician, Necromancer, Enchanter, Cleric, Shaman, Druid (though expect to be unwanted in raids), Monk (melee dps), or Shadowknight (tank). All of these classes have soloability (minus cleric, but you'll have high group demand), which is a little bit better for a newbie.
  17. Dulwen11 New Member

Necro is amazing. A little difficult to master at first, but if u get some people to advice you on the mechanics it is a very very strong solo class. Easy to play, tough to master.

The mage is a bit easy mode and one sided. Send pet, nuke nuke sit down, rince and repeat - Zzzzz...

The druid I would personally always recommend as a first character. It's the master of travel with teleports so you can go all around this world(Which is extremely large) and spirit of wolf (increased movement speed buff).It also has tracking which will help you a lot as you obviously wont know the zones at all like all the experienced players. Its is also a strong solo class, which can add good utillity to most groups.

Also something to note is that pure casters wont have all their spells avaiable to them at first. Priest classes(cleric/shaman/druid) can always buy all their spells.

Cleric will also be a good first choice. Their "fairly" simple until you get into raidingm but by then you should know your character. They are only strong solo vs. undeads, but will always be welcomed in groups. Many old EQ players are used to players bringing their wifes cleirc to the group who they conviced to start playing. Times have changed, but anno 99' most clerics were more busy chatting than healing.
  18. Parall New Member

Awesome. I really appreciate all of the help. I am pretty excited.
    Jenarie likes this.
  19. Installing Updates Lorekeeper

Glad you're gonna try it, Parall!
  20. Eaglestiker Journeyman

Glad to hear you are giving the game a shot. I am excited to be starting out can look me up if you need some help with information. Eaglestiker or Souleach. I am not the super knowledge guy but I know enough to help ya get started :p
    Parall likes this.