Duo WITHOUT mercs (Longish post)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Throxx, May 10, 2017.

1. Throxx New Member

Hello all, so a friend and I have been thinking about going back and going through a lot of the expansions. We were thinking a Shaman and Beast Lord Duo, because you have dps, heals, and a tank. (or 3 depending on gear)We were also thinking necro/sham for root rotting, but when it comes down to it for names and other non-root able mobs that would be a hard combo.
    We are not looking for the basic tank/healer set up. (like war cleric sk druid or what ever etc etc) Neither of us want to play a cleric, war, sk, wiz, pal, rog, zerk, or ench. The rest are decent. (Yes that takes out all the tanks but that is okay)
    Let us know what you think! Please don't comment if you don't know what you are talking about. We are starting from level 1 and doing all the worth while quests (mainly just gonna get to 60 and do prog) I have tons of 105 toons and want to do something fun. We were talking and this would be perfect because we get toons that have amazing titles mounts mercs etc from beating expansions. We will probably have to cheat on the raids and just bring in the 105's. But besides that rest will be done between the two of us.
    I could tbh pretty much play anything. But my friend is set on, druid or sham..... So either way he goes we have heals and buffs covered. Our reason for going sham/bst is we both absolutely love the shaman and i love the monk as well. But It will be a while till we kick off so i would love some input on what you guys think!
  2. Tucoh Augur

Why do you like the monk but refuse to play a zerker, rogue or warrior?
  3. Throxx New Member

I did say only reply with useful things. We have our reasoning's for why, no need to type them all. Not to be mean, just don't want to type my reasonings for not wanting to play those classes cause it is not important!
  4. Murphy Elder

Love the irony of the quote "neither of us want to play clerics" in a thread about playing without mercs.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

You should have no problem with monk/shaman imho. I do not use merc's for the first 50 levels of any new character I create. It helps me to learn how to play them correctly. You will be surprised how easy it is without a merc. Just a little longer down time. Hard choice between the druid and the shaman only because the druid has ports to help you get around but the shaman has those nice slows. I think the beast might be too close to the shaman and the monk would be pretty nice dps and puller.
  6. Duhbeast Augur

I would say beast/shaman is a good combo, it might take a while for the combo to show it's true fruition, but it'll work out.

[IMG]
    Murphy likes this.
  7. Tucoh Augur

Oh, I just wanted to know the context because you might be operating under false assumptions about what the classes are and how they play. But if the only information you want to provide is above, sha/bst is totally fine. At 105 a beastlord really shines in a group with other melee rather than a duo, but it works with a shaman's buffing just fine.

You might have trouble vs some tougher EoK named mobs, but maybe the challenge is part of what you're going for anyway.
    SevrinSevendust likes this.
  8. Murphy Elder

Even at the highest level, BST gets smacked around pretty good vs. plate class tanks. But it is admittedly a nice variation. 17k to 18k AC vs. what, 14k or so AC on a BST. It's not hard to see difference.
  9. Phrovo1 Augur

I'm partial to monks myself but well...at least they're good until endgame (and I doubt they'll stay mediocre forever)
  10. Kravin Journeyman

Because druids have more utility and so do shamans. Clerics pretty much heal who the hell wants to replay the game playing a cleric? If you had a full group i can see it but for a duo?
  11. Kravin Journeyman

Ahhh that is fine, no I have every class at 105, not all are max aa. I am open to good duo's but we are looking for 2 active classes that don't play just one role. We are very much alike as we are brothers.
  12. Xanumbik Augur

starting from level one with your restrictions I would go BL and Druid.
  13. Vizula-Emarr Elder

Id say go shaman ranger. With shaman buffs slow ranger can tank just fine, you might say monk has same capabilities, but youll also have a ranged root/kite option to change things up and headshot nice too.
    Kallitank likes this.
  14. Kallitank Elder

I'm with Vizula. Druid and Ranger are two of my favorite classes, but there's a little to much overlap for a really good duo, so Sham and Ranger would be my choice. Tracking is probably the thing I miss most of any ability when I'm not playing with one in group. If a Ranger is out of the question too then i'd go Druid /monk.
    Vizula-Emarr likes this.
  15. Raptorjesus5 Augur

I don't really see any relevant overlap between rangers and druids in the modern game.
  16. Kallitank Elder

That may be true, but I believe he was talking about starting at lvl 1. I think they'd make a fine duo, I just think Ranger/Shaman would be better.
  17. Kravin Journeyman

I
    would but in all reality once we do get to the higher level's unless the ranger is in raid gear they can't tank names.
  18. Duhbeast Augur

yes, keep thinking beastlord aren't beastmode, yes!

[IMG]
    Coronay likes this.
  19. Kallitank Elder

What level you talking about? Was Ranger tanking named molo into at least 85. If you're duoing with a Sham it'll be way easier for you than it was for me. If you're talking about current content you'll have trouble without a tank class in duo anyway.
  20. Gnomeland Augur

Why would a beast have trouble in current content? The pet is almost as solid as a mage earth pet and mage earth pets can tank current content, including rare monsters, better than all other classes that aren't tanks.

In today's game, for the purpose of group progress, you either build a tank, or you build a pet tank; the former will get you through more content than the latter, but will also take longer.