Ever ...Quest

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Selar, May 7, 2017.

1. Selar New Member

I feel that some trends of the game can really desapoint some players and lead to loose the sense of a game.

In EQ, there s a big fun in several task, but also some huge work to make the toon strong : lot of AA grinding, hundreds of hours in raids for equipment and so.
    Once the new expansion pack is there, the equipment - that took so long to get (sometime 1 full year) is out of date immediatly. Most of the AAs become auto-granted for free...Do all of this make sense for a game objective?

No because it means that if you do nothing and wait the future pack you ll spend less time and get the things for free. Strange, but true, it means you can feel stupid to buy Kronos, and so to get gold and grind the prestiges items and AA, becasue 2-4 years after all of this is out of date...

I think, finally, I would much apreciate game and its objectve if :
    AA were not granted anymore (as the tradeskills ones).
    If the items from expansion could be upgraded in the next pack, instead of being simply scrapped.
  2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Correct, the truly lazy players don't have to do much, in order to improve their character, but they will always be 2 expansion behind(at least).
    Just being afk in pok and waiting for rot-loot is a viable upgrade path, but it is not much fun....

There are a few older "trophy" items, that can later result in an upgrade expansions later(epic, shawl artizans price, etc), but I think DBG wants earlier expansions to be "optional" for a current character.

On the other hand it makes it easier to "catch up", if you have ambitions to join a progression or raid guild, so overall its healthy for the game...:)

For example: allowing people to enter older zones unkeyed, might cheapen the accomplishment of doing progression quite a bit, but it makes it so much easier to organize open raids. :D
  3. Vizula-Emarr Elder

The auto granted aa's by no means make you some beast, in fact you can turn it off if you dont like.

Gear being outdated by expansion? What game doesnt, i would argue eq has the most longevity of content and gear than any other game i can think of.

To say, whats the point in playing an expansion if its just going to be replaced is like saying i know im going to die so whats the point?
    andross77 likes this.
  4. Brohg Augur

yes, two to four YEARS after, then the fun you had two to four years AGO shouldn't keep newer players from playing on your level
    Vizula-Emarr likes this.
  5. Aurastrider Augur

As far as the autogrant issue I would argue that it makes the game more enjoyable. After all it is called everQUEST not everGRIND even though that's what it feels like. Some classes have close to 30k AA's. If someone focused just on AA's alone they could spend a year grinding and not actually doing any quests.

Gear is not obsolete when a new expansion comes out by any means. Is the new gear better? Absolutely and that only makes sense considering the new content should be more difficult and this adds more balance to the game when you get to the newer content.

Your ideas about people staying two expansions behind is also a bit flawed unless they have a box team or a group of friends who will do that content with them. If you don't box and want to find a group your chances of doing so are going to go down significantly if you don't have the most current expansion. Again this makes sense as people who paid for the new expansion are going to want to experience it not stuff they paid for two years ago.

Unless you have actually finished all the quest lines for every expansion and are bored out of your mind there is so much to do that has nothing to do with upgrading your gear. For instance the hero's journey is a huge time sink of what I would estimate to be over a thousand quests, missions, and tasks with a multitude of subtasks and faction grinding not even listed just to complete. The end rewards don't even justify the amount of time invested but its more about the journey and not so much the destination I guess.

Basically if your tired of the same ol' grind change it up man. I learned a long time ago this game can feel more like a job and less like a game if you let it. When that happens do something different with how you play.
  6. Kallitank Elder

I've found it unnecessary to grind , by the time I'm done with all the missions quest and hunter achievements I've maxed out long before that. Even starting a new or heroic toon in my downtime between expacs they usually stay maxed out in the same way.

Quests, missions/tasks , and new gear... this is what I live for in EQ. One of the most enjoyable parts of this game to me is NEW GEAR!! I'd be destroyed if I couldn't upgrade everything each new expansion. I guess it's silly when you think about it, but I'm a grown azz man playing a fantasy game online with people I've never met. So I guess it's just however you wanna look at it.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Janakin like this.
  7. smash Augur

Curious. But does everyones old gear be used for tribute or stored somewhere as souvenir, except for special items?
  8. Coronay Augur

i just tribute the old gear when its upgraded. if it is a special items it goes on the wall at the house.