Researching spells on Agnarr

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tevez, May 6, 2017.

1. Tevez Augur

Hi guys,

Was just curious if Researching spells on Agnarr is going to be a thing. I think I remember seeing a few posts a while ago where people were saying that on phinny all their researched spells could now be bought. Is this just due to expansion unlock or is this a change which will occur from the start of Agnarr?

Any info would be great, thanks in advance.
  2. Febb Augur

Pre-Kunark spells should be able to be researched. In PoP you will be able to buy some spells that were researched. When Kunark hits, you will have to wait 3 expansions ahead of the current expansion in order to research spells for that particular expansion. Kunark = PoP, Velious = LOY and so forth. So Velious will be the last expansion you'll be able to research spells for on Agnarr. Basically research is useless on progression servers.
  3. Malokhan Elder

When I played on Ragefire, research was viable up through the mid 50's spells. I don't think I ever saw a level 59-60 research part drop. I quit just before Velious launched. The way it worked, if I recall correctly, you have to kill casting mobs of that level for a chance of parts to drop. You are not killing many 59+ caster mobs until PoP.
  4. Tevez Augur

So if i were to play an enchanter I would still need to level research to get aoe mez and high level charm? Then once kunark comes out there wont be a need to level research?
  5. Febb Augur

Here is the patch note from the January 18th, 2017 patch.

*** Progression Servers ***

- Many Spell Research recipes are now restricted to an expansion at least three expansions after the spell itself is available.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/research-changes-in-upcoming-patch.237834/

They haven't given any specifics on which expansion this starts out on. They won't be able to do it in classic because there are quite a few research only spells available then unless they stick them on vendors.
  6. Tevez Augur

Thanks for info guys, looks like i'll need to wait and see if research will be needed.
  7. Kahna Augur

Research will only be useful in classic. The 3 expansions thing is only for Kunark quested/dropped spells and beyond. However, by the time those spells can be researched in PoP, they will all be available for purchase on the PoP vendors. So yea, Research is useful for classic researched spells only. You will only need to get your skill to around 100 to make the spells reliably, and that is relatively easy. It will still be cheaper to just buy the spells in the tunnel or collect the hides and have your designated guild researcher make them for you.
    Galleyan likes this.
  8. Galleyan Augur

^ This is good info.

To be specific, all classic spell research trivials at 102. It's fairly easy and cheap to get (even if you just spam vendor bought stuff -- vial of pure water and oil of vitriol, it's still cheap)... but it's significantly cheaper to just buy your spells if you're not making spells for a guild.
  9. Tevez Augur

Ah cool, if all I would need is 102 in research to make lvl 46 Charm spell which seems fairly easy to get it shouldn't be much of a bother. Was mainly worried that I would be needing to buy these spells from players who would be charging a fortune for necessary spells in classic.
  10. Tudadar Augur

Hopefully they switch to the old research system! Drops are already there.
  11. Kahna Augur

They have said repeatedly that it is impossible to switch back to the old system. The new one is here to stay, and much easier to use anyway.
    Galleyan likes this.
  12. Galleyan Augur

Yeah I prefer the new one, thanks. Less looking crap up to make sure I'm not making the wrong spell.
  13. Tudadar Augur

I dont think thats true. They said they could disable focus effects etc. Plenty of other tradeskills have the old versions enabled on TLP. If your comment is based off something said in 2011 or 2010 before fippy/vulak there has been tons of changes since then (including changes they said they could never do before)

With the server settings and the amount of p99/alkabor players that they are targeting it should be a possibility.
  14. Kahna Augur

No, I am basing my comment off the Agnarr FAQ they have stickied at the top of this forum. Here, let me quote the relevant section for you.

Tudadar likes this.
  15. Accipiter Old Timer

Or just buy them from one of the professional researchers. It'll be cheaper in the long run. You'll be able to find them in the Commonlands tunnel.
  16. Tevez Augur

You dont reckon they'll be charging a fortune for the high level spells which will be mandatory for your class?
  17. AgentofChange Augur

They will charge market price
  18. Accipiter Old Timer

In my experience it hasn't been bad compared to the cost of doing the research yourself. I've done it both ways. If you've got all kinds of in-game cash then go for it and do the research yourself. I won't be doing research this time around.

Edit: Also, if you're racing then you will out-pace the researchers and you can expect to pay too much for your spells. If you're going at a leisurely pace then the spells will be cheaper.
  19. Tevez Augur

Guess I wont bother leveling research and just b
    Guess I wont be leveling research and rather buying the spells. I wont be racing to max level but will be giving eq some decent hours when server launches. Either way I guess if I level too fast I can just farm some plat in order to buy spells.

The main spell im concerned about as an enchanter is the 46 charm spells, but the previous charm spell should see me through most content (charms up to lvl 46 mobs).

Thanks for all your info guys.