group wizard smart talk

Discussion in 'Casters' started by gnomeboss, Jan 1, 2013.

1. gnomeboss Augur

guyz, let's talk about how to blow stuff up efficiently with the new spells in RoF!

is thricewoven worth using?

i've been experimenting with a freeze, thrice, claw, ethereal based on claw proc rotation. seems clunky but i do like me some claw procs.

not looking for how to burn, but more how to mindlessly nuke for hours at a time only interrupting my casting to tell my group if i broke my personal high crit. yes, i'm that guy.

smart talk go!
  2. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Thricewoven is not useful to use. Aristo did make it better than it was, but it is still nowhere near powerful enough to justify the cost of using it so you are better off using other spells.

As for mindlessly nuking for hours, the most efficient, sustainable, spell weave is Claw/Wildmagic/Chaos, however in the interest of doing better dps than an Enchanter, I would not suggest using that lineup, heh.

Claw/Gosik's Fire/Hoarfrost Cascade weave is designed to do a higher level of sustainable damage. You should be able to sustain that for 20-30 minutes without needing to med as long as you are hitting all of your harvests whenever they are available.

Anything above that like using Ethereals is going to require more sitting and medding, but I'll include them anyway.

Ethereal/Ethereal/Instant is going to be your best damage weave when burning and using Improved Twincast, and Claw/Ethereal/Instant is going to be your best when not using ITC. Both will be a much bigger drain on mana than the above though.
  3. Endaar Augur

Interseting that this just got posted; I was going to start a similiar thread.

Beimeith, would you mind explaining the burn chains you posted here, as they seem to differ from ones you've posted previously? Quoting you:

I'm thinking one difference might be raid detrimental spell haste versus group detrimental spell haste. Group geared, two Ethereals can be chained without any (apparent) delay between them other than the global cool-down. Assuming you have ITC running and the mob will live long enough to use all of its counters, wouldn't using the smaller instant instead of an Ethereal be sacrificing some DPS?

Given that, even when ITC is NOT running, what's the rationale for Claw/Eth/Instant rather than Eth/Eth? I'm guessing the procs on Claw make up, on average, for the lower base damage versus an Ethereal and that using an Instant versus a second Ethereal is the quickest way back to being able to cast Claw again, but not having done the numbers, that just doesn't seem right. Not doubting, just want to understand better.

Any additional detail is appreciated. Thanks!

Endaar
  4. silku Augur

I've noticed that if I chain Ethereal back to back the tank can't hold aggro.
  5. gnomeboss Augur

the ethereals still have some aggro issues? i see wizards just being gankboss in group content.

i'll experiment with freeze, claw and ethereal based on proc and see if my tank can do his job.
    silku likes this.
  6. Aztaar Journeyman

Question is, what flappy is now best to use with a bard?
  7. silku Augur

Let me know what you find. I'm just a box wizard (I use my wife's wizard to box with my chanter), but we have a paladin friend. I waited till 80%, cast Ethereal Incandescence, then I casted concussive salvo, followed by Ethereal Hoarfrost. (I paused roughly 10 seconds between each in my button.) The moment Hoarfrost hit the mob turned off the tank on 5 different mobs. At which point I switched to Gosik's fire and Flashsear. The dps went down tremendously but we had no more aggro issues. I understand 100k nuke crit is gonna get aggro, but it shouldn't be as much as it seemed to be. My enchanter regularly crits for 90kish and he doesn't get aggro from it with three dots running, tash, slow etc. (I also have several less ranks of subtlety on the chanter than she has on her wizard.)
  8. Pirlo Augur

1) Tell your pally friend not to afk while he tanks
    2) Dont lead off with EI
  9. Vegus New Member

New prismatic is 30-60% (random). Bard song this expansion is 41/42/43% (flat). Improved familiar is still made useless by our spire in a burn scenario, but provides more benefit than prismatic when a bard is present with Aria outside of burn. I still go IF if bard, prismatic if no bard. Technically you will on average get slightly more mileage from prismatic while burning with your spire up, but I don't bother to play the swapping game.
  10. Kathylynn_Unity Augur

If aggro is an issue grouping, the stun spell Telenaga can be of great advantage if what you are fighting is not immune. This is basically the only tool I need to manage aggro in a group. Of course this could be an issue if you are not level 100, or not fighting lower level stuff to be able to use the old stun.

Cast it if you pull aggro saving you from damage and giving your tank time to reestablish control, or cast it preemptively before you would steal aggro if your target is close to dying and nuke harder to finish it off.

Typical kill goes something like: Claw, Instant, Ethereal, Stun, Ethereal, Ethereal = Experience.
    Pirlo likes this.
  11. silku Augur

So for those of you who are completely noobs to wizards like me, what I started doing is :

Chaos Incandescence, Gosik's Fire, and Concussive Barage until I get one of the three procs

Concussive Magic -song for free aggro magic spells
    Concussive Chill - song for free ice aggro
    Concussive Flame - song for free fire aggro
    Then I cast the appropriate ethereal - fire, cold or magic
    Works great, harder to box though. Lots of audio triggers going now
  12. Hahlfwit Augur

The aggro is pretty brutal for sure. I have found a personal workaround while boxing. Basically I just hit Deceit with my rogue, that seems to give the tank enough aggro for me to unload with the wiz, that said, I still lead off with Skullfreeze, then chain ethereals.
  13. Pirlo Augur

Concussive Barrage is a great spell, I use it all the time it refreshes, but not for the 3 procs it may provide. I find the procs to be buggy as weapon DD procs eat the counters and the aggro reduction it claims to provide don't seem to work at all.

As far as your spell lineup, you can hit the mob a little harder than that ;)
    Experiment!
    (Spoiler alert! - Or just follow Bei's advice /snicker)
    silku likes this.
  14. gnomeboss Augur

i use freeze once, claw, ei (regardless if claw procs a cold proc) and work in will and an instant when the stars align and neither claw or ei or will is up. the dps from this has been very, very impressive (nota bene, rk3 twincast and reiterate aura from my enc running) and mana hasn't really been an issue. my wiz has rof t1 group gear and rk 1 spells only. no augs so his mana pool isn't as big as xnao's ego.

i haven't had any aggro issues since i started using this. oh sure, once in a blue moon my gnome will get summoned and die but it's more to slacking on tank than gankbossing stuff. and it's rare. once every three days or something. plus he has no defensive aa so, yeah,. not a big deal at all.

i'll say it again though, that freeze, claw, ei, will, instant rotation has been fantastic for me. so fantastic i had to check my logs.
    Pirlo and silku like this.