UI on a 4K Monitor

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by vaio007, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

WOOT I am going to try that too thank you!
    Sarkaukar likes this.
  2. Sarkaukar Augur

You may want to test it out. It looks like at 175% Font 4 is about right, Font 5 gets a tad thick, if using Current Font Arial.

For other UI pieces, most are not re-sizable like the hotbars, but starting a new hotbar and selecting/putting them in that hotbar does allow the names to enlarge.

For my spell bar, I use a customized one that has both the name and the spell icon on it. Way too many icons to remember what the frak they are for. Resizing any spell bar would take some work. I have not located one that is specially made for higher resolution screens
  3. Concerned for Norrah New Member

Swapped out my 4k at Best Buy for a 40' HD, all is back as it should be. My new Samsung 4K monitor was having trouble even seeing the PC when EQ was on, it kept saying not plugged in, not enough band width being sent through the HDMI from EQ to the 4K monitor for it to recognize the computer. You Tube or ESPN worked fine. SO it was the game and not the Television/monitor. 4 boxing is the best on 40" , EQ is still great, but to fix the bars and boxes on 4 accounts by hand is too time consuming.
  4. Janakin Augur

5. svann Augur

It absolutely does have to do with monitor size. If you double the resolution and double the monitor size then its a wash. If you double the monitor size and leave the resolution the same then things get grainy and ugly. If you double the resolution on the same size monitor the text gets tiny, as you saw.
  6. Janakin Augur

I cannot read most text from default UI on 28" 4K monitor. I guess if I went to a 60" 4K screen the text would be bigger but my neck would be sore trying to take it all in lol. Not to mention it would not fit on my desk.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  7. svann Augur

If your monitor is too small for 4k resolution couldnt you use a different in game resolution? I mean, if text is that tiny you probably arent getting better graphics from using 4k resolution.
  8. Phynster2 Journeyman

I currently use a 55" 4k smart tv as my monitor and the UI delima is insane. Basic eq ui is too small, i can barely read any text, and all my chat windows are set to /chatfont 10. I had to download a custom ui and learn ui coding inorder to make some of these windows bigger and the text easier to read and still the max i could get some of this stuff is unusable
    [IMG]
  9. Janakin Augur

Doing a 4k UI piece by piece. It is playable for me now at least.
  10. Janakin Augur

Good news, Font sizes can now be changed in Editbox item!
  11. moogs Augur

I saw your post on eqinterface.com; is there any documentation or additional information available for this? I've not found anything of interest in recent patch notes.
  12. Janakin Augur

I was Private Messaging a dev and I sent this message after they told me it should work:

That is what I thought as well as in 4k I can barely read what I type. I made these changes to default chat window and no font size seems to change the size. I think it is hard-coded like window titles.

<Editbox item="CW_ChatInput">
    <ScreenID>CWChatInput</ScreenID>
    <DrawTemplate>WDT_Inner</DrawTemplate>
    <RelativePosition>true</RelativePosition>
    <AutoStretch>true</AutoStretch>
    <LeftAnchorOffset>2</LeftAnchorOffset>
    <TopAnchorOffset>31</TopAnchorOffset>
    <RightAnchorOffset>2</RightAnchorOffset>
    <BottomAnchorOffset>1</BottomAnchorOffset>
    <TopAnchorToTop>false</TopAnchorToTop>
    <RightAnchorToLeft>false</RightAnchorToLeft>
    <BottomAnchorToTop>false</BottomAnchorToTop>
    <Style_Transparent>true</Style_Transparent>
    <Text>Type Here</Text>
    <Font>5</Font>
    </Editbox>

I can make it larger changing the default font to a larger font but then that causes more issues that it solves and is still tiny. Thanks.

I noticed the next patch after I sent that message it now worked so I sent dev a thank you message. I never got anything confirming it was changed or a reply back but it now works. Since I respect the privacy of a private message, I won't divulge their correspondence to me previous my reply above.

With health gauges the font tag still does not change the font size. For many gauges there is an alternate label so one can offset the gauges text to where it is not visible and simply use the label. For extended targets however there is no corresponding label so I am at a stand-still on that UI piece. I can make the gauges larger but the font for the name is still very tiny.
    moogs likes this.
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Janakin thanks for all your work on a UI.

Though I still hope Daybreak will have native 4k support at some point.
    Janakin and moogs like this.
  14. Vopi Ululant New Member

Here's a really easy fix for the game not scaling in 4k on Windows 10:

Go into the game directory (probably Users\Public\Daybreak Game Company\Installed Games\EverQuest). Right click on eqgame.exe, and choose Properties. Then go the Compatibility tab, and make sure that 'Override high DPI scaling behavior' is NOT checked.

After that, Windows will scale the game to look 'normal' on a 4k display.
    Xanthippus and Janakin like this.
  15. Janakin Augur

Updated Potion Belt and Merc Window - on eqinterface.com
  16. Morlucius Elder

I myself just use my 60inch 4k tv
  17. Anhari Augur

Please note that you will have to maintain the following UI modifications for yourself, and the changes do NOT scale if you change resolutions.

I was able to modify my EQUI_HotButtonWnd.ini file in my custom UI folder.
    If you are using a custom UI, then just edit the file in your custom directory, otherwise if you do not have a custom UI, then do the following:
    1. Create a folder under the uifiles directory (name is unimportant)
    2. Coyp the file EQUI_HotButtonWnd from your main directory to your new custom UI filder.
    3. Modify the file (edit) and replace the <font>1</font> items under each of the 10 <HotButton item="HB_ButtonX"> items where X is the hot button with <font>XX</font> where XX is 2 - 6.
      1. I find that 6 is best for me, but hey, I am legally blind :p
    4. Save the file
    5. In Options, click on Load UI Skin and select your new UI directory.
    6. Your Hot Bar button text should be much easier to read, but you will need to resize the buttons to display the majority of the text.
  18. SaffronYellowLotus Journeyman

Changing the compatibility mode DPI scaling setting on the eqgame.exe fixed my issues. I have a 55" Samsung curved 4K and it was crazy hard to see anything on it. Weird thing is it worked for a week and somehow that setting was changed and it took me 2 days to figure out what went wrong. Too bad I didn't see this BEFORE I reloaded eq and lost all of my settings.
  19. Xanthippus New Member

Magic bullet fix. I can now play on my modern laptop.

Thank you for the excellent suggestion.

Xanthippus on Povar
  20. Mongbassa New Member

Not any more!! Evidently they fixed this fix because "unchecking" is not working for me. Also selected each of the options in the drop down box, no joy on any... Still digging, but not finding anything. :-(