EQ laggy in new Windows 10 install

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Gialana, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Gialana Augur

On my desktop that I only use to play EQ, I was running Vista. I bought an SSD and installed Windows 10 on it. Then I downloaded EQ from the DBG site just so it would install the necessary version of directX. Then I copied my EQ folder from the other hard drive. EQ is unplayable on my new install of Windows 10. I get maybe 1 or 2 fps most of the time when I try to move around unless I drop the far clip plane to 5 or 10%.

I ran Windows update, so all of my drivers should be up to date. At the very least, my graphics driver is the newest from the manufacturer. I adjusted the power settings for the graphics card to maximum performance. I've tried running in both Vista and Windows 8 compatibility mode. I've tried running as Administrator. When I click on "Game Configuration" after clicking the cog wheels on the launchpad window, it doesn't list my graphics card, but that's also the case on my Windows 8 laptop. Nonetheless, I tried a fresh install of EQ, only copying over the .eqg files to save download time. The new copy crashes as soon as I hit play, though.

Other than the new SSD, I purchased the desktop hardware about 5 years ago. I have an AMD 6-core CPU, 8 GB of ram, and a Nvidia Geforce 210 graphics card with 1 GB of memory.

Has anyone experienced the same problems and found a solution? Or does anyone have a suggestion of what else I should try?

Thank you
  2. Wulerdar Gnome Slayer

that gforce 210 is no longer supported by nvidia in there current drivers i would try and research the last time it was and download that driver that or upgrade it to like a rx 460 or 1050ti
    Gialana likes this.
  3. HeatherPurrs Augur

Also McAfee just did an update that is lagging EQ until the real time scanner is up to date.
    Gialana likes this.
  4. Gialana Augur

Thank you, Wulerdar. I installed the most recent driver for the card, which was released 4 and a half months ago. That had no effect. I'm not sure if a new graphics card will be enough since my motherboard (MSI 880G-E45) has no official Windows 10 drivers. I installed the latest windows 8 motherboard driver, but that also didn't help.
  5. Aurastrider Augur

I have windows 10 on three computers. Two of them were upgraded from older versions of windows and one came with windows 10. The two that upgraded have had their performance suffer significantly since the upgrade when playing EQ. There are tons of forums and stuff out there with possible fixes but its been a while since I have looked into them. Currently I can play EQ on one machine but only about 3 accounts compared to being able to run 6-8 and my other machine is a paper weight now.
    Gialana likes this.
  6. Tyreel Augur

Check your short cuts for launching EQ and make sure that your Everquest directory did not end up compressed in a win.old or windows.old folder when doing the upgrade. EQ used to install in locations that get can be buried in the process of an upgrade.
    Gialana likes this.
  7. Cleaver Augur

EQ Button > Options > Display > Advanced > check use advanced light or allow 2.0 pixel shaders camp and relog. If them don't work do allow hw vertex shaders. When I upgraded my other PC which has a radeon 6850 to anniversary or creators update it lagged to crap until I turned these on so I went back to a pre anniversary version of windows 10.
    Gialana likes this.
  8. Sarkaukar Augur

Control Panel, Power Options, set to High Performance
    moogs and Gialana like this.
  9. Gialana Augur

Thank you, Sarkaukar. I'll try that. For some reason, I only had the options for Low and Balanced, so I tried to modify Balanced. I'll look up how to get High Performance to display.
  10. Gialana Augur

I'll try this, too I remember that I had to increase settings on my windows 8 laptop. But that was to prevent EQ from crashing after some random time.
  11. Azazael New Member

I am having the SAME exact issue. My Win 10 machine with an i5 4670K, Nvidia GTX 950 2GB, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD is running the game terribly near other players. My old laptop on Windows 7 is running the game perfectly still.
  12. Sarkaukar Augur

Click on the down arrow where it says Show Additional Plans for High Performance. When AMD introduced their new Ryzen CPU, that is one of the feedback provided by AMD, stressing that gamers change their power options to High Performance to reduce or eliminate Windows power saving/noise saving features.

In other games, players are having similar issues, especially after a Windows update a few months ago that had actually reset the Power Plan back to Balance. It did not happen to everyone but enough to provide that tidbit of troubleshooting.

Edit - also make sure to update sound drivers.

[IMG]
    Gialana likes this.
  13. Vizula-Emarr Elder

Why not just re download the game? Who knows what your missing what could be going wrong. Just copy the ini and config files you need.
  14. Janakin Augur

Windows 10 power modes also can throttle down your CPU.

Copy below into notepad and save file to desktop with .reg extension:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583]
    "Attributes"=dword:00000002

Open the reg file and merge it into your registry.

The go to power options in control panel and choose high performance.

Choose change plan settings.
    Choose change advanced power settings.

Find Processor Power Management section and click the plus symbol.

Make sure all settings are at 100%.

If you do not see an option for Processor performance core parking min cores then you did not correctly merge in the registry file as noted above.

Click ok.
    Gialana likes this.
  15. moogs Augur

If you're going to change to a High Performance power plan, go to the advanced settings and set the Minimum Processor State to 100% or something else that you can live with. The default value is probably 5%.
    Gialana and Janakin like this.
  16. Janakin Augur

Correct. "Make sure all the settings are 100%." While I said that I was not specific :)
    Gialana likes this.
  17. Gialana Augur

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and help. After switching to High Performance, minimum CPU was already at 100%. Everything else I saw that seemed important was also at maximum. Still, I lagged. I also updated sound drivers, but still lagged.

Then I did the following, logging out of the game completely between each change:
    1. In advanced display settings, I unchecked all boxes except new water in old zones. I still lagged.
    2. I checked both Allow hw Vertex Shaders and Allow 2.0 Pixel Shaders. Still lagged.
    3. I unchecked Vertex Shaders and left Pixel Shaders checked. Still lagged.
    4. I rechecked Vertex Shaders and unchecked Pixel Shaders. Lag was gone.

I might not have done Step 2 correctly because after Step 4, I checked both Vertex Shaders and Pixel Shaders, and the lag was still gone. I then went to a separate install of EQ. Checking only Pixel Shaders did not get rid of the lag in that install. But when I checked both Pixel Shaders and Vertex Shaders, the lag vanished. Again, I had to completely log out and back into the game to notice any differences in the lag.

I can't say that the above listed steps were all that was required to fix the lag since I tried many things. They just happened to be the final steps.

I'm very happy I no longer have to enter my password every time I log into the game, since Launchpad stopped working with Vista that is.
    moogs likes this.