HP vs AC for lvl 100 Palidan

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Zannin, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Zannin New Member

Of course I misspelled paladin. Is there anyway to fix that or delete posts here?

I am about to hit level 100. To this point, I have been focusing on AC as the primary stat when upgrading gear and looking for augs. Due to my experience as I level, I'm beginning to question that approach. The sad fact of the matter is, I'm wearing all level appropriate gear and augs, but my Wizzies T5 Tank has to take most of the named for me in Daily HAs. The merc does have quite a few AAs and such.

I did find several 2006 era post of the subject of AC vs HP for tanks. Has the thought shifted as new content has been introduced? I remember a time when the advice was "all AC all the time." Since that time, there was a flavor for some formula to compare advantages of HP vs AC decisions.

I'm just wondering which way to lean as I look for level 100 upgrades. The most accessible armor set to me right off the bat will be the group gear from WK (not sure how much will be a meaningful upgrade). I freely admit I'm about 7 years behind on game knowledge and an not even really sure how to read my stats. I understand avoidance vs mitigation, but I struggle to translate even that basic stuff into the decision making process.

For what it matters, I box with a Bard and Wizzy of the same level. I have been grinding Daily HAs to level up. I intend to start raiding with the guild at level 100, but I fully understand I'll be about as durable as an empty aluminum can right off the bat.

Its starting to get so frustrating that my Wizzy is beginning to look like a good raid main character to me :eek:

Here is a Magelo link.
  2. Chaosflux Augur

AC.

Your job is to survive and hold aggro, AC generally helps survival at a stronger rate then HP, within reason when speaking about gear in the same Tier level. Massive fluctuations comparing gear from 2 different expansions being an exception sometimes (its possible when you get TBM gear you may have to sacrifice a minimal amount of AC going into EOK gear, in non visible slots)
    Zannin likes this.
  3. Seldom Augur

Quickly off the top of my head, if I recall correct, I was sitting on around 117k hp/11000ish AC or more, completely unbuffed during COTF. You're low on AA also. With that being said you are indeed behind on gear and aa, so I wouldn't worry too much if you appear to be struggling more than need be. You're not going to shine as a Paladin in any form with a lack of knowledge, gear, skill and AA to top it off. Pertaining to AC vs HP etc. Prioritize getting the best AC+ Heroic Dex augments you can. Followed by the best AC+Agil to fill out rest. Pertaining to actual gear question, what level is your Wiz and do you have EOK expansion on both? Wayyyy far more quality tank gear will rain on your Pal via the TBM/EOK loot pinatas if you can access them
    Zannin likes this.
  4. Wyvern Lorekeeper

No aug in back slot? At least get the Heroic aug like your other slots.

hDex: 224 -- try to get 1 more point at least (250 hDex would be better)
    -- look for augs that have hDex and decent AC.

hAgi: 210 (need 15 more hAgi to reach cut off) - 200+ hAgi is ok for 100 ( you can sacrifice some hAgi augs if you can get better hDex. (keep hAgi at 200 or above.

Every 25 hDex or hAgi gives a tiny benefit.
    hSta (more HP) w/ AC augs are also decent but try to focus on hDex.

Start with replacing these augs below with the Heroic Augs that have 30AC /40 HP /+3 hDex.
    Gears of the Mansion
    Jewel of the Stalwart
    Ill. Enforcer Metal
    Sentinel Claw
    Tav. Burnished Gemstones
    M. Core of the Guardian

Dislodged Diamond of Blood -- move to Sheild ASAP
    Shimmering Black Pearl -- move to Range slot (hard slot of fill with good aug)

Any aug that does not have hDex, hAgi, or hSta is a need to replace aug unless AC + HP just blows other augs you have away.

Replace your weapon Aug ASAP.
    Exhumed Rune DMG: 5 + Rune Process

List of level 100 augs (sorted by order of best to worst)
    http://www.raidloot.com/Search.aspx?class=Paladin&type=Augmentation&augslot=7,8&level=100&order=1HDex=4AC=40HP
    Zannin likes this.
  5. mackal Augur

I generally go 1 AC = 10 HP. Now the other question, are you using 2h or shield? Shield AC is super awesome.
  6. Zannin New Member

Thanks for the input and the tips on Heroic DEX/AGI.

All of my characters are 100 now and I do have EOK. My Wizard's gear is in line with the Paladin, but it is not aug'd out at this point. I've been playing EQ for a long time. However, for the last 6-8 years it has been very mostly just coming back once every 3 or 4 months to level a new class or see new content. These are the first characters I've had over level 85. Leveling toons can be fun, but you don't learn much about the game by reviewing content 100 times! Because I've got 16 years of veteran awards on my two original accounts, I've got the ability to acquire gear, I just have to figure out where to use it.

I think my main problem is that at level 99 I was in that big gap between expansions. When I hit 100, I had some level 100 raid gear in the bank. Just putting that on and upgrading my weapon added over 100 to my AC and over 10k to my HP. So, one ding and the the game plays much differently. Now that I'm 100, I'll be able to raid so I'll be learning the class and acquiring better toys. I'm sure knowledge will help as much as anything.
  7. Zannin New Member

I just upgraded my weapon, so I'm using 1hs/shield. The only time I go 2 handed is when I know the merc will be tanking and I'm trying to maximize DPS.

As stated above, I think my main problem at 99 was that my gear was an expansion old. One ding has changed a lot.
  8. Zannin New Member

Thanks for the time to put all of that together! I did upgrade my back slot last night when I hit 100. The sad fact was I had an 40AC aug sitting in the bank...yuck!

The general and specific advice on augs is very helpful and much appreciated!