Mage vs Necro on Agnarr

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Chibz, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Chibz Journeyman

How does the Mage compare to Necro for Agnarr? Specifically I am wondering how the pet tanking abilities differ at 50, 60, and 65.
  2. Kahna Augur

Mage pets tank okay, necro pets are wet paper bags. Necro's use their bag 'o tricks to keep the pet from tanking. Or, if they want a pet to tank, they charm something.
  3. Runes Augur

Mana is going to be an issue from classic through Kunark until we get mounts..I think that was Luclin maybe Velious. Early on I think Mage has the best sustained damage over Necros in group because mage pets are more durable and pet can dps while mage meds and nukes.
    If its solo or undead charming situations then Necro will out dps between charmed pets and dots and undead nukes which are extremely mana efficient and Necros have far better mana regen than clarity with lich lines.
    As always stated Necros have better utility and better bag of tricks when soloing than Mages. On raids Necro are very important for their twitching abilities to give mana to healers and help recover from raid wipes faster with twitches and rezzes.
    Mages get to Call of the Hero and make mana rods which are very convenient for groups and raids.
  4. AgentofChange Augur

5. Chibz Journeyman

Nice graph! I find the mage very fun to play, but the utility of the necro is what intrigues me. I guess I will spend a couple hours test driving the necro and compare at least on the solo path.
  6. Rhodz Augur

Maybe I was just never comfortable with the premise of the Necro, certainly tried it enough at various times but that representation seems to fit well as I have felt no desire to ever go back to it.
    Sk had a similar problem, nothing wrong with the class only the premise for it.
    But that s another topic
  7. Runes Augur

Kind of a meaningless graph as it has no reference what the comparison is on and if its just general playability then its even less value. No way are Necros close to being just an average or worst class. They bring far too much utility to groups and raids and soloing to ever fall below a 7 out of 10 unless all you are doing is comparing Necro dps to other classes on very short Raid kills, then maybe I would put their dps level at a 7 or 6 if you discount all their other raid utility and benefits.
  8. AgentofChange Augur

Excuse me but the graph has spoken. IT HAS SPOKEN.
    Maestro Morg likes this.
  9. Rhodz Augur

Heheh good one
  10. malaki Augur

Except that with characters being as powerful as they are, all raid fights are short and their dps is bad. That graph is pretty spot on if you raid at all.
  11. Runes Augur

Graph has really just mewed and since I have raided pretty heavily through each stage from classic to PoK with time gear..even with short raid boss kills Necros do well and are never just average.
    Kills under 2 minutes they dont shine but there wont be alot of full strength raid bosses being killed in under two minutes for a long time ..so pity the graph and the fool that believes it.
  12. EnFuego New Member

In regards to pet tanking abilities the Mage pet starts and stays clearly ahead of the necro. I enjoy both classes overall, but play them very differently. A Friend and I plan on starting with one of each as our duo team when server goes live.
  13. AgentofChange Augur

I am sorry if I touched a nerve mr dmf bot, I mean necromancer*. I am only trying to help the OP answer their question. If given an option in pop, no raid or group would choose a necro over some other class. They just kinda suck in pop.
  14. Froglegs New Member

In PoP Raids, you need 2 necros to feed the clerics. You cannot have enough Mages tho.
  15. Smak Augur

How is it better to have 2 necros feeding clerics when you could just have 2 more clerics?
  16. Runes Augur

Lol ok you amuse me so +1 for the above...would have given you +2 had you said Mr. Twitch b..i..tch but you lost the moment.
  17. Barudin_Phinigel Augur

Accurate graph is accurate.
  18. Runes Augur

Try a necro in most of the raid groups to dps & wrack & twitch and you will see the dps boosts and not only will the tanks and healers be happy..the mages and wizards will too.
  19. malaki Augur

Other than Quarm, there's no PoP fights that Wizards and Mages go OOM. Fights are way too short.
  20. Runes Augur

Right because they cant aggro drop like Necro can after Necro loads up dots and nukes mages and wizards have to hold back..although if your mages and wizards have loads of mana left after a raid boss dies..they are weaksauce.
    Seeing as PoP is a year away and people will have loads of high level alts..to answer the OP's question..going Necro will be a great strong choice you will never regret.