Kernel32.dll

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Oscilioth, Apr 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nantalbus Elder

based on what been said by daybreak so far is this wasn't planned. as they said they where working on it.
  2. Nennius Curmudgeon

Well, if you remember the Luclin launch fiasco, I expect the truth lies somewhere between "wasn't planned" and one department didn't communicate well with another.
    Yinla likes this.
  3. nantalbus Elder

lol i was round then i rememeber lol
  4. Kahlev Al-Calen Augur

Indeed, it sounds a lot like the dev in charge planned for the change to happend, but the suits weren't asked about it, and the whole radio silence for 6 hours was them trying to figure out who gave the go to the change, and what possible justification it had.
  5. Nennius Curmudgeon

Quite right. When I worked for the a very large corporation that I will not name, this was an all too common thing. Now to see what they do about it.
  6. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Tbh a part of me is hoping that they will ditch winxp and vista support for good, because backwards compatibility is one of the things that are holding them back when it comes to upgrading the client, I would welcome an upgraded dx11 3d-render with great joy, and that will never happen if they insist on supporting ancient OS'ses.

My guess is that they upgraded part of their development framework(visual studio 2017, maybe?), and forgot to check if it could still compile to old OS'ses. The question is, are the EQ1 dev-team allowed to prioritize backwards compatibility, to an OS they no longer officially support ?

I am not sure the EQ1-team is making that call, most software companies insist on upgrading the entire corporation simultaneously, unless there are reasons not to.
    I would be surprised, if they even have a computer in house with a pre-win7 OS installed...

EQ1 is unusual, alot of boxers have been using ancient computers to run their box armies for quite awhile, do they pay enough to justify backwards compatibility?
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  7. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

I run a vista machine, it works and I havent had a reason to update until now. I would like to seem them fix this issue and then announce that on next expansion release win7 and better will be required. That would give all of us that do need to upgrade the time to build a new computer and save the bucks needed.
  8. RadarX Augur

We changed the minimum specifications for all our products here to Windows 7 in 2015. The team does understand a few folks are still on Windows XP/Vista and have done their best to keep that working. We will continue to do this as long as it's feasible but ample warning of compatibility was provided quite some time ago.
  9. Reht The Dude abides...

Windows Vista's extended support just ended on 4/11/17, so you might want to consider upgrading in the near future.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Quatr like this.
  10. Reht The Dude abides...

I didn't tell him to upgrade, i suggested considering it in the future. Bad analogies are bad. There is no potential security risk directly linked to an expiration of a warranty on a car. There are plenty of risks in continuing to use a non-supported Windows OS. You should have been a wet dream....would have saved the world from your particularly brand of stupidity.
  11. sinadven Journeyman

so whats the word on the fix i see its been this way since yesterday .
    Suifeng likes this.
  12. Seamus Journeyman

I drive an old out-of-warranty car and have plenty of risks because of it. No ABS breaks, no air bags, no systems monitors, and on and on and on. But it still does 99% of what I bought it for. So why would I dump it just to get a few new safety features? It's paid for, it works fine, why should I be compelled to buy a new vehicle? Good analogies are only bad if you can't comprehend them.
    svann and Suifeng like this.
  13. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

I just returned in Feb, honestly didnt look at min specs, just downloaded the game and went to working UI windows etc. As I stated in one post I do plan to upgrade and have since swaped laptops with the kid. I just cant feasably dump the mone ninto a new pc just yet. I have a plan in place and a plan for the future. As others have stated, we hope the patcher gets fixed so we can continue to play as we ipdate as funds come available.
  14. Reht The Dude abides...

Hopefully the get it fixed because it feels like they jumped the gun on Vista by lumping it with XP in 2015 since it was still supported up to a week ago.
  15. Smokezz The Bane Crew

That's a terrible analogy. Driving an out of warranty car doesn't lead to your personal information getting into the hands of criminals that steal your passwords from every site you log into including your bank. LOL. But hey, it's your money. Be stupid if you wish.
  16. sinadven Journeyman

can anyone tell me the work around for xp users?
  17. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Manually copying the updated files from an already patched installation, have been reported to work in some cases, afterwards start eqgame.exe with the "patchme" command.
  18. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I guess first thing is the OP didn't rant or rave they just said they were having problems and maybe it was XP. Fair enough. I think some could have been a bit nicer about upgrading. Hey up until 2 years ago I was still running a machine on XP.

I appreciate Daybreak continuing to try and keep things going for XP or vista systems.

For those still running XP things aren't as bad upgrading to windows 10 (assuming you can afford buying it. Me I am into computers and run 4 systems and upgrade components all the time. but not everyone has a lot of disposable income.). The only downside of upgrading is it has to be a new install but if you are still running XP you may be due for a hard drive upgrade too.

For those berating the guy for running XP get a life. There can be many factors involved in why they haven't upgraded. The guy didn't whine about his problem so don't whine about his computer and OS.

But as Radarx said Daybreak did announce that XP was no longer officialy supported..

https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/e...minimum-system-requirements-to-run-EverQuest-

Before anyone goes crazy about the "as it was meant to be run" in the first parapgraph read the last sentence specs subject to change as the game progresses.

Below are listed the current recommended specs for running EverQuest as it was meant to be run. Note that some machines may still be able to run the game with less than the Minimum Recommended Specs.
    MINIMUM RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
    • Processor: Pentium 4/Athlon 64 or better
    • Memory: 2 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA Ti 4800 or ATI 9800 (comparison chart)
    • Network: 28.8k + Internet Connection
    • Hard Drive: 10 GB of free hard drive space
    OPTIMAL RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
    • Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo / AMD Phenom II x2
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA 6800 or ATI x1800 (comparison chart)
    • Network: 56.6k + Internet Connection
    • Hard Drive: 10 GB of free hard drive space
    System requirements subject to change as the game progresses.
    toodlem likes this.
  19. Panza New Member

It seems many are fixated on Microsoft not supporting XP and are using that to discriminate against others. the fact of the matter is that XP does not have the back door access that the Gov. wants and not that it is unsecured from hackers but quite the opposite the Gov. cant hack xp as easy as 7-10 with its built in Gov. probe back door. Microsoft never would have stopped selling and making money off of xp unless it was forced to. Dont think so, look at EQ still going 18years later and still making people money. DBG do you plan to stop support for EQ any time soon? it is 18 years old apparently several people think people using out dated tech should not even be aloud to connect to the internet.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Yinla like this.
  20. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

XP is actually pretty easy to hack. And Microsoft has stopped making updates to XP while SOE/Daybreak has continued making updates to Everquest. Invalid arguments. And Microsoft has stopped support on hundreds of products no conspiracy involved.

Though you would be surprised how long a lot of bank machines have been running Windows XP BUT they have were still getting security updates unlike the public.

http://info.rippleshot.com/blog/windows-xp-still-running-95-percent-atms-world
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.