EoK: Choosing a class for a single account

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Truthfire, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Truthfire Lorekeeper

My budget is such that I can only afford EoK on one of my three accounts. I play with an active guild on Firiona Vie so pickup groups do exist and are certainly an option.

As I get to the point where serious time investment is required, I'm curious which of the following classes would perform best for someone who can't run additional boxes in EoK. I've added a few more specific questions after each.

I'm pretty much interested in DPS casters and support, so:

-Enchanter (Is charm or reverse charm viable, are there many CC immune mobs, are Enchanters needed/wanted beyond buff bots, is their ADPS + DPS substantial enough in an OP melee meta?)

-Necromancer (Is kiting viable, does everything summon, can the pet tank with AA/gear/cooldowns long enough to kill something, are they performing well despite the lack of DoT consolidation, are they mediocre in high-DPS groups, how much spellbook swap tedium is required for respectable DPS?)

-Magician (do their control options evolve past 85, can the pet tank with a J5 Cleric merc, how are they holding up against Wizard?)

-Wizard (always a solid group choice, but do they have any solo options at all in EoK?)

-Shaman (any solo options, is there enough of a benefit to maining one as opposed to boxing one since everyone has a boxed one)

-Bard (enough benefit in maining one to justify it over a /melody bot?)

-Beastlord (I don't know enough about these to have a solid question, so just... are they decent?)

Thanks!
  2. Siddar Augur

Nothing in EoK summons well almost nothing besides named.

Looking at EoK as it is I would go necromancer. It just works well with EoK set up. You have 15k aa to grind from max and the necromancer does it the fastest of the classes you listed. The above is only a choice for EoK as it has things that make it very necromancer friendly. If you go back to TBM I would choose enchanter for the features in that expansion. In TBM enchanter was almost as fast at gaining aa as necromancer in EoK the necromancer simply runs away with ability to gain aa.
  3. Finen Elder

Lots of mobs are charmable in T1, some are rather interesting! There is charmable mobs in t2 but it's a bit harder to find them due to the general increase mobs get, but they are out there. I don't bother with reverse charming much anymore unless I have a pack of blue cons. If you know the Enchanter class well I highly recommend getting Kunark. Great expansion for Enchanters.
  4. IblisTheMage Augur

Would you be grouping?
  5. Truthfire Lorekeeper

It's certainly an option on FV, but I'd assume not 100% of the time.
  6. Ankarv Harbinger of Nightmares

I don't know much about bards or shamans because neither class interests me.
    All of the rest of the classes mentioned are capable of doing EoK in solo and group content rather well.
  7. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

Shamans can solo pretty well in EoK, the only downside to it is downtime, the new dots can burn through mana pretty fast if root rotting 2 or 3 at a time.