Is there any prog. servers with basically no boxing, no tutorial zone, and no POK?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Chips, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Chips Elder

Is there any prog. servers with basically no boxing, no tutorial zone, and no POK?

I think Ragefire is a voting server which is good, but they allow boxing.

Phinigel is good for no boxing, but the expansions keep coming. Plus once the tutorial zones came out, nobody uses the starting city areas.
  2. bodes Augur

Agnarr meets all of your requirements
  3. Basak Augur

Except it would likely get the tutorial, and of course will get POK. He's looking for a server like Ragefire/Lockjaw is now, but with the ruleset of Phinny. He wants Luclin locked server.
  4. bodes Augur

As a recruiter for an Agnarr guild you might want to research more about the Agnarr ruleset
  5. Basak Augur

I know about the Agnarr ruleset, where do I indicate that I don't?
  6. Chips Elder

The problem with the prog. servers is everyone goes to the tutorial zones once that exp. unlocks thus making the starting zones obsolete.

I'll just have to figure out which one to play most on. The one unlocking in the Summer will be good, but think once they get to POP (or the expansions after that which unlock POP) then were in the same boat once again.
  7. Vastly New Member

I don't really see why the tutorial bothers people, they tend to release it on a TLP some time after PoP. I think in real EQ it came out sometime in 2004 or so, initially with a cap of level 5 later they raised it to 10.

I played EQ from 1999-2004 and honestly the tutorial was a much needed approach, and if we ever run into a TLP that actually stays fresh and populated into late expansions it will be just as needed there. I think some people have rose-colored or outright false memories of the past. By the time Luclin came out a huge portion of the game was made up of long time veterans with tons of plat and twink gear (which was neither No Trade or Attuneable, so could move from one alt to the next), when most people started a new character they loaded it up in a full kit of twink gear (sometimes insane twink gear like Fungi Tunics which made lowbies back then nigh-invincible) and that character solo'd in their starting area and were level 10 or so pretty damn quickly. The "old" grouping/etc scene from levels 1-15 was basically dead and buried, the age when you'd have groups camping Orc Camps in East Commonlands or scattered throughout Oasis and South Ro were long since gone; old sites like Orc Hill and Crushbone in Faydwer were visited only briefly by overpowered twinks on their race to get up to level to do Paludal Caverns (which could take you from ~10-24 faster than any zone from previous contents and was basically the only place most people leveled.)

The problem with this scene, is during this time span if you joined the game as a new player finding a group wasn't easy until you made it to 10 and Paludal Caverns; but there was also nothing in the game to lead you there. Worse still, in the prior expansions while it was just as "unguided" the lowbie zones were full of other players who were recruiting for groups and chatting and would spread the word as to where people should go next after finishing the current zone. New players in Luclin and later instead found themselves in a confusing game world with no other players, and many probably just left.

I don't see a benefit in intentionally re-enacting that.
    Vexen and Urshulgi like this.
  8. Storytimebros Elder

They need to make a classic only server that resets every month. Also no named or dragon spawns. This sounds like what most people want. This way you can make 10 alts to lvl 15 over and over and over and over and never have to see anything beyond the starting 5 zones from your town.
    Kattria Minx and PathToEternity like this.
  9. Nolrog Augur

#Fail.
  10. Zanarnar Augur

You want P99 then; I doubt any official server will stop before POP. I don't see why the tutorial matters to you, as by the time pop lands you should be max level already and unable to even enter it.
  11. AgentofChange Augur

Answer to the OP is an easy No. /thread
    MBear likes this.
  12. Zansobar Augur

I think eventually DBG may release a TLP locked in classic (no PoK, no Bazaar), but that time has not come...yet.
  13. Ultrazen Augur

Because the tutorial isn't as authentic as a max level druid pulling an entire zone, while a level 3 bard sings an AOE song. There is no such thing as a starting area once people have mains that can trivialize the content.
    Urshulgi likes this.
  14. Brunlin Augur

Why do people have a problem with the tutorial? Why did some people think it was a mistake on DBG side when it was released on Phinny? It was released to early, thats why. Never before has The mines been released this early on a progression server. Mines of Glooming deep came out sometime n 2004 before or after GOD, I dont remember exactly when. POP is circa 2002...LOY and LDON are both 2003.
    The tutorial makes the newbie armor that came out around POP, obsolete. It takes aways from the racial starting zones and their surrounding zones including low level dungeons, all that were still very popular during POP era. The newbie armor is way op compared to items that we had to use during that time. Dont get me wrong I like the tutorial, it just needs to release when it did originally. Which would mean on a POP lock up to Ldon, never!
    snailish likes this.
  15. Kattria Minx Augur

I love the tutorial. Every new character I make has to complete the Gloomingdeep quest line. Even if I could twink the characters, I just think it's that much fun once I get past the very first "get to know how EQ works" quest.
  16. DryalRmog Augur

OP wants a Luclin locked server, with Phinny rule set .

No server like that at moment
  17. Machentoo Augur

Not correct, it opened during PoP on the previous round of TLP's:

[Fri Mar 09 21:17:06 2012] You have entered The Mines of Gloomingdeep.
  18. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

How long do you really need the newbie zones to be relevant for? They'll be the starting location for like 12 months before the Tutorial comes around, and if you still need that newbie zone experience for your 5th or 8th alt then sorry, go solo it or something.

The tutorial actually makes the newbie experience more classic-like in terms of seeing other people around you. By the time Luclin hits every single newbie yard will have a MAXIMUM of 1 player in it at any one time with the exception of maybe Field of Bone. The gear may be overkill to you but I think more people would rather be able to group up and play with other people rather than being stuck alone trying to grind in Everfrost peaks or some other BFE newbie zone and end up quitting at level 5.
  19. Rhodz Augur

Actually without the mercs GD is pretty solid. Need to team up with at least one other player to do it well but that is kind of the idea as completely solo it is slow. Of course if solo is the preferred path the old zones work rather well and one can revert to the tutorial at say level 5 or 6 solo GD and get your gear before being kicked out.
  20. nagash101 Augur