When is the next TLP server after Agnarr coming out?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Arakash, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Arakash Journeyman

I'll just wait till that one comes out. When that one comes out everything will be ok.
  2. Prisim Lorekeeper

I have some inside info on this that I probably shouldn't share but.... okay. It's coming out in 2019. XP will be the same as on live. There won't be any instances or load balancing, but xp will be the same as on live and mercs will be available. It will be locked in classic so start thinking about your strategy!
  3. Galleyan Augur

I too have an inside source... he says the server will be named, "Kappa" -- prepare your butts. :rolleyes:
  4. Accipiter Old Timer

I'm going to just quit until then.
  5. Tudadar Augur

Probably december 2018
  6. bodes Augur

Very unlikely. They much prefer the May-July timeframe for TLP launches. 5 of the last 6 TLP/Event servers launched in summer and all 10 of the last live expansions launched October-December. They have a limited dev team and try to keep TLP/Event server work on the opposite side of the calendar from the expansions.

I think they'll launch a new server every summer and alternate between TLP and Event servers

Summer 2015 - Ragefire/Lockjaw
    Summer 2016 - Quarm
    Summer 2017 - Agnarr
    Summer 2018 - Event server
    Summer 2019 - TLP
    Summer 2020 - Event Server

and so on
    Sumonerr_Tunare likes this.
  7. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

Surprised this thread took so long to appear.

Low expectations of forum community always fulfilled eventually, though.
  8. Tudadar Augur

An event server isnt good enough to hold a year down by itself. Quarm was a failure and they didnt even want to end it / have to deal with people wanting a new one after. A short time frame server is really only worth it if its PVP like discord. I believe agnarr will take 15 months to open LDON. The new server would just be like a phinny coming after a RF/LJ. The may-july timeframe is going to be when agnarr finally reaches PoP. A TLP every 2 years is leaving money on the table for them. I could see them rotating truebox / box yearly though.
  9. Renshu Augur

No phinny?
  10. bodes Augur

Phinny was launched a month after the 2015 expansion which is a really bad time to launch TLP because your devs and CS are pulling double duty. They did it because ragefire/lockjaw were bleeding players and consuming lots of CS resources with all the tickets about mage boxes and raid drama.

They wanted to get truebox and instancing out there and launched it as soon as it was ready. The gamble paid off as you can tell by Phinny's population, but I left it out because I don't think they would ever plan another winter TLP launch.
  11. bodes Augur

[IMG]
    FurySoul likes this.
  12. FurySoul Augur

What is your criteria for "event server?"

I ask cause Quarm was actually the first attempt at a "seasonal" event server. I know they were planning to launch them often once they get a good system in place, but the server went way over expectations in time allotment and no word yet on when they plan to bring back a new one. I believe part of the problem was what to do with the characters. Eventually they made the new live server with FV rule sets and transferred all the characters into that, so maybe that will be the event server dumping grounds from now on.

I ask cause this may change what kind of server you might predict for '19 and '20
  13. FurySoul Augur

How was it a failure when a huge population of people played it and successfully claimed the achievements and spent quite a bit in the station stores?

Also it went over board in time cause it was their first attempt at this and they didnt have all the bugs worked out. They didnt agree on a plan for the characters until they finally moved all the toons to newly created brekt server. Also many people were begging for time (like myself) to attempt at achieving the event rewards that could be claimed on live servers. ( the rewards made the server really popular )
  14. bodes Augur

This is all my personal opinion and speculation, but....

It comes down to the question of how do you leverage Everquest IP into new subs? Over a million people played this game at one point or another and they all loved different parts of it. Different expansions or rulesets or gamestyles. Look at how little consensus there is on the forums about what the "best" server ruleset would be.

Currently DBG has live games serving a large set of people who like new content and TLP servers serving a large set who like nostalgic content. That's still not enough to cover every niche of demand. TLPs will likely continue to serve the nostalgia crowd with Agnarr aimed squarely at the P99 crowd. I speculate that event servers will be launched to server all of those other niches. PVP, racewars, roleplaying, droppable items, combine-style progression races, expansion-locked, etc.

When Ragefire/Lockjaw launched servers will still hosted on old hardware and were painful to setup and shut down. With all the work they've done on the backend these last 2 years I think it's much easier and cheaper for them to create, run, and sunset a server now. That gives them the ability to spawn these targeted 3-6 month event servers and explore a lot of those niches.
  15. FurySoul Augur

So are you saying Agnarr is an event server? Or are you saying Quarm is an event server?

I thought Quarm officially was an event/tempt server with goals and rewards, and was being planned for seasonal runs.

Im just somewhat curious cause of the time line you came up with. Cause if event servers happen regardless of TLP drops, there could be different rule set types for 2018 and 2020. I consider Agnarr to just be another special ruleset TLP / ELP
  16. Trevalon Augur

I bet we see another TLP right around the time LDON launches on Agnarr.

It is no coincidence that Agnarr is launching right now. Phinigel is about to launch LDON and pretty soon will be moving to GoD+. There is a large part of the population that doesn't want to play GoD+ and I firmly believe this is DBG going: "If you missed out on LF/RF/Phin then this is your chance to relive those servers again!"

This is the serve rto catch people who missed out and people who dont want to proceed past PoP. Will it be as popular as Phinny? Maybe at first, but I think that will drop off a month or two in and Phinny will remain the bigger server just because of the time invested by its players.

So, as I said, I bet we see another TLP around the time Agnarr gets LDON launched. I hope its a faster unlock/exp server with the Phinny rules that progresses forever. 8 Week Unlocks with RF/LJ EXP rate TLP that doesn't stop is my dream TLP server. Lets make it happen 2018!!
    Tudadar likes this.
  17. nantalbus Elder

How bout never. tlp server take the money away from where it belongs the live game. Sorry said it once I say it again there is nothing on the TLP server you can't do on live severs. All they are good for is a short term(depending on how long between release of exp) cash grab. But once it hits x exp is where they die off(x exp is the exp where each person think the game went down hill). It happen with ever other TLP server it happen with them all.

Even phinny with its one account per computer rules. If I was in charge of daybreak I would have been asking the person who came up with that idea why I should not fire him/her right then and there for wanting to lose the company money. In fact they would have had to show me proof that it that server would make as much money for the company as a sever with out that rule for me to even ok it.
  18. FurySoul Augur

Jared Kushner is that you ???

growth and evolution
    relationship between scale and profit
    risk and reward

I jest, but this article is a good read. Anyways the TLPs have been a huge success for the EQ business. If you cant see that then I feel like you should brush up on business and economics.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...o-reinvent-government/?utm_term=.9b1626f11c75
    skattabrainz likes this.
  19. nagash101 Augur

WoW. The TLP Server are paying the bills for DBGs, period. They have proven to be VERY profitable-each and every time. You do realize that you HAVE to have a subscription to even play on a TLP server unlike the live server, which are a cesspool of BoTs buffing, permacamping and Boxing. The reason they keep releasing TLP server is because they do make more money then live server.

If anything they need to just stop developing for the live servers and polish the TLPs code and launch one every single year until they stop producing profit.

I would bet that the TLP server have double the subscription rates for DBGs easily.
  20. FurySoul Augur

You are in danger of just being the polar opposite of the person you are debating. There is no reason to drop the Live servers. You forget that purchase of station cash items, subs (pretty much all raiders), expansion releases (these run 30 - 150$! for each account) and many other ways they can find profits. Plus it expands the scale of their business and grows a larger community of players that can play different environments as they want.