Fought an 85 named with my new 85 necro..and learned a few things.

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Silvari, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Silvari New Member

I bumped a class up to 85 necro with healer merc and went to vahalla(or something like that) zone fighting light blue giants.

first it went ok, a bit slow, the giants can summon, but no problems. THEN I pulled a light blue giant that apparently was a named guy. OMG.... first I waved in my pet on the giant, dropping dots... after about 3 minutes I notice health wasn't even moving... HMMM.. then I realized this was no ordinary giant but a 'named guy. so I'm like.. OK...lets see what this necro cleric combo can do. so I started stacking dots...and yup necro can't hold aggro. so he starts chasing me.. LOL.. so now I'm running down a long long hill with necro pet pounding on em, the giant summoning me over and over. Cleric keeping everything healed. after about 8 minutes of this foolery :), I turned around and decided to see if healer could keep me alive while I burned this guy down. Problem with this is with everything I have on him, his health is barely moving. Cleric is slowly running out of power faster than giants health is going down. The writing is on the wall, I'm going to lose this fight. so now I realize I need to think of my exit strategy which would be a feign death (if I had memorized it DOH!), a run to the zone, or possibly gate/origin out of there. I didn't have FD memorized, so I Try to root (so I can memorize it) and can't so I'm like 'ok...now what?', I don't have a gate either.. so I get out the origin spell and after about .5 dozen attempts I finally get it off and I zone out of danger.

so the lessons learned for me are

- Be sure you check the name of the mob, not just its color.
    - Named at 85 are serious @#%#% business and take the game to a whole new level of difficulty.
    - Have FD on my hot bar at all times ;)
    - In these cases you can not out burn named mobs, before your cleric merc runs out of power.
    - be ready for a fight (with a light blue con named) that may last an hour. (or so it seemed like it would take that).

Anyway..its a funny story and fun, but I'm not sure it paints a long term picture of fun. I was fighting light blue con mobs and it was tough, I can't even imagine what a yellow or red might be like at this level. Guess I'll go try.Or maybe I go get a group.. :p
    Grove, Miss_Jackie and IblisTheMage like this.
  2. Vizula-Emarr Elder

Not to be taken derrogatory but it really just sounds like you under utilized your necro. First go thru all those aa and find whats relevent, like FD. Keep in mind fd can be used mid fight to wipe YOUR aggro to help pet. Just take some time to go over everything. Are you using resplendent benebolence i think its called, provides grwat healing if you keep it up.
    Wayylon likes this.
  3. Wayylon Augur

Sounds like you need ro research Necro burns, you have every AA available at 85 you need to figure out what activated abilities boost your damage, which ones stack, then make some macros, Burn 1, Burn 2, Burn 3, etc.
  4. svann Augur

I strongly suggest you get drunkard's stein before anniversary event ends.
    Gundolin likes this.
  5. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Sounds like you were fighting in valdeholm in the serpent spine expansion. Since your dots in an 8 minute span couldn't even dent his health, I guess It could be one of the open world raidmobs. Did he /con "you need an army to defeat this creature" or something like that?
    If thats the case then you should just avoid him at all cost, untill he cons green or grey(or get a lot of friends to help you).

Glad you had fun. :)
    moogs likes this.
  6. Cats Meow Journeyman

Just wait till you try and do Franklin Teek's quest in "the foundation". I brought my freshly boosted Heroic 85 monk there and he got his face torn off by the first blue yard trash Mob there. All I could do was hit the FD button!!

Here's my video:

7. Minato Augur

lol UF was a hard expansion when it was new and they dumbed down HoT zones so they are much much easier then they used to be (and they used to be easier then UF zones)
  8. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

Absolutely the first thing to do is to get the augments that the House of Thule Tier 1 tasks provide. They are the fastest, easiest Armor Class boost you can get, and Armor Class is your biggest liability in heroic gear.
  9. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

Oh, and obviously get the J5 merc post-haste. That should be the first quest you do in Feerrott, the Dream
  10. Silvari New Member

great replies :),

no worries about criticism, I definitely do NOT know what I was fully doing when I pulled that guy.

yup was in valdeholm, the guy was to the far left after you cross the bridge.no idea if he was world boss, didn't even think to read his name tag, saw light blue and pulled with glee..haha,

Like many who bumped, we just don't know how to play our classes well:). There is definitely great benefit to leveling up the old way and slowly learning a class.

Lots of good advice here so will dig in and give it another go and go see if I can find that drunkard's stein thingy and J5 merc.
  11. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

Investigator Vekman, if memory serves (in Feerrott, for your merc).
  12. Gundolin Augur

Thanks, that was fun to read, you are a good story teller. One more AA you should have is Gate.
  13. Felicite Augur

I would strongly recommend reading this excellent thread - So you made a new Heroic Necro.. - http://necrotalk.com/showthread.php?t=12621

It will give you the basics of what spells and abilities to use (and some other items to hunt for).

Your pet's "tank-abllity" is directly related to the level of pet focus you have equiped when you summoned it. Also,\taunt on. Also, also, yes FD (actually the AA Death Peace) needs to be available always (it's been on my 1 key since 2002) - you can use this to drop all aggro, normally you will use this multiple times in a boss fight.

I could go on forever.. but this is a good start.
    Miss_Jackie likes this.
  14. Jumbur Improved Familiar

There are a few encounters in TSS that can be quite a mouthful for an unprepared moloer, the progression related events/quests like the ashengate-seal-clicky comes to mind. and some of the nameds can be have a relatively high amount of hitpoints.

That said, the game is tuned for players who know their class, once you get out of the newbie zones.
    Getting to know a class is half the fun, so you have something to look forward to. :)
  15. Silvari New Member

that link no longer works, anyone have an updated guide I can look at?
  16. Felicite Augur

Here is a copy/paste of the first two posts:

So just to familiarize myself with what a brand new heroic character necro has to work with I made one and took a few screen shots to show you what I think would be the way to go, with your newly minted 85th level necro.

Spell Line up:
    [IMG] These show your 10 best by DPS dots and a tap and poison nuke that 25% of the time make your dots do more damage. If you have a druid that can make mobs plants, or are fighting plants you might want to stick your corruption line in there. Also if you are kiting, you may want to go for a total damage per cast line up vs a DPS line up, Tryal has some video links on the site here that show his method of kiting and he uses a damage per cast line up to speed up his kiting.

Your Feign Death buttons:
    [IMG]
    Death Peace, sit/stand button, Cloak of Shadows
    So I like to keep these in my first hotbar so I can press 1 for FD and then when I wasn't to get up press 2 and 3 in quick succession so I can stand up invis. This will keep mobs that do not see invis from agroing you even if they are standing right on top of you (assuming you have cleared agro that is, you won't regain it).

Damage boosting buttons:
    [IMG]
    You are missing some key things when you are all fresh and new (CoA Robe, AAs to buy Glyphs, Epic, etc,) But these are things you have that will add damage you can use them all together. so lead with silent casting and click one or more of the rest between spell casts to add some extra damage.

Use a lot buttons:
    [IMG]
    You will use encroaching darkness a lot or should in any case, snared mobs are easier to handle, Whisper wind is good for travel, good for getting distance between you and a mob to snare it, it is good to use kiting in narrow places, for getting past see invis mobs, use it a lot. Reluctant Benevolence is just a nice thing to have on.. you should click it anytime it us available.

Transport buttons:
    [IMG]
    You can add Levant, Brick of Knowledge, The Binden Concerrentia, Thurg potions, Anchors, etc. here too, as you aquire them, to keep your travel options out in the open.

Defensive Buttons that don't allow mob to go into regen mode.
    [IMG]
    Say you are fighting a named and it has eaten through you party killed all the mercs and is about to eat your last Army of the Dead pet and will be stomping you next, but it is almost dead. Get those dots loaded, hit your damage boosting buttons and use these to keep yourself from harm while your dots tick away the mobs hit points

Mana Buttons
    [IMG]
    These are the 3 buttons that can replenish your mana or in the case of blood magic, allow you to use your hps instead of your mana.

Pet Buttons
    [IMG]
    Use Fortify pet and companians blessing when you want your pet to tank a named, replenish is a quick casting, slow refresh heal.. suspend so you can unsuspend the second pet you have suspended when first one goes down, and companion relocation when you have someone else tanking and want to send your pet to the back of the mob.

Anyway those are the AAs and spells I think you should have at the ready as a newly minted 85th level necro.
    If you intend to actually play a necromancer some of the things you should do sooner rather than later is get epic 2.5, Get OoW Tier 2 robe (aka CoA robe), UF robe for its click until it is useless, then VoA and then RoF robe.. forget the CotF robe for its click, you can still wear it though.

There are suggested paths for AAs, and they are pretty darn good, on this site already so I won't duplicate that info here.

When you start to get swarm pet spells and quick dots, your line ups will differ when you are kiting, rootrotting, or raiding to when you are grouping. But hopefully you have a grasp of the class by then and you now know necrotalk and can find help if you need it here.