Play style of Druids and Necros

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by ChaosU, Mar 2, 2017.

1. ChaosU New Member

As stated above i would like to know how Druids and Necros play to grind stuff i don't think they have the same style but i am interested in both classes... I understand that the latest expansions has a lot of summoning and Snare imnunes mobs so I would guess both classes has a hard time kitheing as they did back in the day i played... I also see some problems for Druids with the many indoor zones... So how is the reality of the Druid and Necro now a days soloing or Moloing?
  2. Fohpo Augur

Necros can pet tank a lot of things given Molo and a relatively high EM (enhanced minion)
  3. Rhaage Augur

Necro playstyle typically works along one of these main ideas

Pet tanking: Warrior pet (or possibly charmed pet) acts as tank, necro dps's mob and provides heals, possibly healer merc so nec focuses on dmg.

Kiting: typically aggro kiting but in some instances fear kiting also worked (probably not now). Snore & Dot mob, run in a circle so mob chases you but never gets close enough to actually hit, rogue pet (or possibly charm pet) chases mob stabbing/slashing/etc. all the way.

Root / Rot: pull a mob to specific spot, root mob, load up DOT's, keep mob rooted / DOT'ed until it dies. No pet, healer merc may or may not get in the way.
  4. GoneFission Augur

Mmm fear kiting in commomlands. Even now every NPC Druid and ranger in the game (and most guards) hate me. Cast snare and dot, dot, dot as mob approaches. Cast fear and dot, dot, dot as mob "runs" away. Sit and wait for fear to wear off, and repeat until someone dies. Fear kiting ends when mob density meets lack of control over mobs path, or when mob levels gets too high for fear to work.

Aggro kiting is more efficient for number of mobs and control, but fear kiting feels more like being a necro. Devs make both very difficult now with density and space limitations. One of the things I don't care for in modern EQ is the creeping tendency for the developers to make the players just so. It's ok for tanks and healers, but kills alternate play styles.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  5. ChaosU New Member

Further info on Necros? What type of play style is used most up though the levels from 70+

No one has commented about Druids play style could use some info here.
  6. IblisTheMage Augur

In a group, a druid will heal, dps, and adps (damage enhancing debufs, black wolf, etc), with the occasional evac. They are not the best at anything, but they bring a good combo of stuff.
  7. moogs Augur

I don't know about what is the most used playstyle. I can only comment on what I have done.

I spent years mainly root rotting because guild chat was so active. Grouped a lot as a healer...LDoNs and DoN Creator missions...all of it. I did a lot of kiting in The Lost Notebook, aka DoDh 69.1 Hard at about level 70 and many other zones. There are literally *hundreds* of places to get good XP kiting or root rotting in the 70s as a druid.

I root rotted, kited, and reverse charmed through the 70s and up to 85. Then mercenaries were introduced (SoD expansion). After that, I mostly boxed with my enchanter, so that gave me tank and healer mercenaries. My main role was pulling and DPS along with extra heals when needed.

There are still some good charming and kiting areas at higher levels. Beasts' Domain stands out, especially. Al'Kabor's Nightmare and East Wastes, Zeixshi-Kar's Awakening were also popular kiting zones.

When I'm farming in older content or powerleveling, I use 4 or 5 AoE spells and a caster mercenary.