Few questions about how buffs stack among other things

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by DamnataAnimus, Feb 28, 2017.

1. DamnataAnimus Elder

Greetings.

I currently have a mage cleric chanter druid box group with sometimes a sk friend joining the group with me.

I've noticed that some buffs will block others from applying eg chanter damage shield and mage. Given that group setup would there be much to gain from adding a bard? Also wondering what exactly stats do in the game, any links to sites that arnt outdated would be appreciated.

Last but not least what would a good melee class that synergises well with the above group setup. Or if bards have buff stacking problems what melee and other dps class would work well too?

Thank you.
  2. moogs Augur

Magician DS > Druid DS > Enchanter DS. Bard DS should stack with all of them. In fact, most bard songs stack with everything.
  3. Annastasya Augur

if you have both cleric and druid in your group, have your cleric buff with the Symbol, Armor and (beneficial) Spellhaste lines and the Druid with Skin of.. line. This will generally give you the best hp/ac/mana regen. At higher levels the cleric buffs are combined into one spell. The shaman stat buffs will generally stack with this combo excepting pure AC buffs. This is a deep and old game and every class seems to have some buff conflict or another.

In very general terms the base stats do this:
    Str- determines how much weight you can carry before becoming encumbered, and how hard you can hit in melee combat.
    Sta- determines how many hitpoints you have
    Agi- determines many defensive checks, like parry,block and dodge.
    Wis- determines how much mana a non intelligence caster class has (shm,clr,dru,rang,pal,bst)
    Int -determines how much mana a non wisdom caster class has (nec,enc,wiz,mag,bard,sk)
    Whichever stat is higher between Int and Wis determines checks for skill growth like weapon skills, casting skills and many utility things.
    Dex- determines accuracy in melee combat and some combat and utility abilities.
    Cha-determines length and success of some charm/mez abilities and spells, and affects how NPC's consider you- how likely you are to be attacked (in conjunction with a bunch of other things) and the prices you get at vendors (also in conjuction with other factors, mainly the faction system)

These are the basics and there is much more to tell, and don't get me started on heroic base stats. But to get started in the game, i think this is a fair starting point.
    Gundolin likes this.
  4. DamnataAnimus Elder

Thank you Annastasya (and moogs).

I was mostly wondering exactly how much mana each point of intelligence or wisdom add, or hp each point of stamina. Would you say it's worth it to get agility on casters? Or for melee exactly how much more damage increase does each point of strength add ( assuming it's not on diminishing returns or based on level)? Tbh, I am guessing casters can't parry or block though I was pleasantly surprised to find that my mage could use a shield (though again I'm not sure if the casters can block either). I've been playing mmos since eq2 launched (2004) but each is different in many respects. I've only got my eq2 experience to draw on here so I'm probably wrong on a most of that stuff, but we were all newbs once :p

5. Gundolin Augur

Everything I'm saying is probably wrong/outdated but:

1) Mana = (((Intelligence OR Wisdom)/ 5 ) + 2) * level + optional mana from magic items
    2) At higher level Dex makes more of a difference to your damage than Strength for melee for more procs.