Spoiled by FV gonna try a normal server

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by dundada3100, Feb 25, 2017.

1. dundada3100 Elder

I have played on FV since the day it went live. Tried the other servers but never made it longer than a few weeks. Since no one I know plays anymore gonna start over on a fresh server and try to play through expansion progression when Im in that level range. Will be 4 Boxing but no idea what yet. I will probably end up rolling on Xegony since it seems to have a decent population. No idea how Im gonna get gear though lol. Since I cant just waltz into the Bazaar and walk out with level 1 characters rocking 2k HP what would be a good setup? There is once catch though. Can only use one race for all 4 characters.

Team Iksar
    SK
    Shaman
    Necro
    Beastlord

Team Dark Elf
    Warrior
    Cleric
    Enchanter
    Wizard

Team Drakkin (1)
    SK
    Druid
    Enchanter
    Wizard

Team Drakkin (2)
    Warrior
    Cleric
    Bard
    Mage
    Felicite and IblisTheMage like this.
  2. moogs Augur

Hah. This should be fun. Since you're an experienced player, you know what's worth dumping off in /barter and presumably these are Gold accounts so you can have up to 4 traders. You'll be okay.

Truth is you can sleepwalk through the first 50+ levels wearing the gear you can quest for in the tutorial and pieces of defiant gear that you will pick up. Because of that, maybe you'll want to consider 1 plate, 1 chain, 1 leather and 1 silk class?

I would do:
    1. Iksar SK
    2. Dark Elf Enchanter
    3. Drakkin Druid
    4. Drakkin Magician

But that's because I do druid/enchanter/magician and whenever there is a real tank in my group we cruise.

If you find that you really want to stay for a while, you could farm Kronos on FV and use them to fund all of your needs and then some.
    Felicite likes this.
  3. Powerranger Journeyman

I like your idea of keeping them all the same race...

I would highly recommend (granted this is based on my personal preferences) the Dark Elf set and here is why.

1. Pure classes such as warrior, cleric, wizard are awesome I have always loved the idea of these classes being best at their respective roles

2. By running the cleric you could effectively run 2 wiz mercs which would make 3 total and you would really blow stuff up quick with the enchanter synergy

3. None of those 4 classes really requires doing their respective epics.

4. Dark Elves get hide..... j/k but no DE's are a pretty cool race.

Good luck and update us on what you decide.
    Felicite and IblisTheMage like this.
  4. dundada3100 Elder

I was kinda leaning towards this one as well. I kinda eliminated the Iksar Set once I checked bazaar on Xegony and the weapons you can buy for BL/Monks are total gutter trash. The level 70 defiant H2H is like 22/19 and I cant tell if thats a joke of not considering level 70 H2H weapons were like 30/19. Theres a lot of Raid content I missed and I figure once I seriously out level it might go back and do some of them with my group. I know Rangers have soloed all of Crystallos and some HoT raids so obviously I can do that plus a lot more if I have 4 characters, including a real tank. Also if I use a Druid/Shaman I have to do other stuff like Slow, DoT, and Nuke while also staying on top of healing. With Cleric its just heal, heal, heal and if I need Slow use the Enchanter. Will proly use a Tank Merc to carry me to 70.
    Felicite likes this.
  5. Powerranger Journeyman

Leveling up is fun till about 65... that is probably where you are really going to miss being able to buy raid gear in the bazaar. It's almost like they make the game terrible or even unbearable from about 70 to 85... probably to"encourage" people to buy heroic characters.

If that's not an option for you you'll just have to grind it out. Once you get 85 with your T5 mercs you just grind grbbles and dailys and lesson burns till you puke. That's going to be the fastest way to get levels and adequate (barely) gear. Once you are strong enough for TBM Gear or especially EoK stuff you are good to go.

I just came back in mid December with a box crew of warrior shaman berserker and enchanter. Joined a raid guild on xegony with my zerker and have been gearing up my team. Once I could tank EoK named and could farm my own gear i was good to go. Now with my zerk in full TBM raid gear / EoK T2 and the rest of my crew in.mostly EoK t2 things go pretty smoothly. It definitely took some effort to get to this point tho. It was not easy.

A few more pieces and I'm going to start EoK progression.

If you have any questions or need any advice from someone who literally just did what you might be looking to do let me know either here or on xegony.

My warriors name who I'm on mostly when not raiding is Warfury.
    Bella222 likes this.
  6. dundada3100 Elder

Yeah another reason I wanna stick with the Holy Quadnity when leveling. I figure given crappy gear a Warrior is gonna tank better, a Cleric will heal better, Wizard will nuke better, and I need the Enchanter cause I wont be able to handle adds. Getting rushed through Solteris so I can buy gear using Phosphenes from Loyalty vendor would be a great way to gear up at 75, but I dont see that happening. Why the hell would the even add Phosphenes to a vendor but not remove the flags for buying the gear. Or did they remove the requirements for purchasing Solteris visibles?
    Felicite likes this.
  7. gotwar Gotcharms

Having recently done this exact thing (FV -> Xegony) I have some advice to offer.

- Prepare to be shocked at the difference in XP rates. 50% doesn't sound like much, but when you start grinding into the 70's and 80's, it's a disconcerting difference. I'm used to solo or PL XP rates on FV and Test, so when my bar is barely moving forward on each kill, it's painful to watch. Can't imagine how agonizing this would be running a 4-box team with 2 mercs. That being said, it's the normal XP rate, so you eventually adjust and roll with it.

- Just because everything isn't no-trade, doesn't mean you can't buy useful things. In particular, TBM group gear starting at level 75. It's fantastic for its level and will give you "best in slot" with minimal effort well into your 100's. Since you're coming from FV, I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say you probably have some Kronos stashed away for a rainy day - selling one or two should have you set for platinum for the majority of your adventure. Just buy a ton of remnants (they are cheap on Xegony!) and go to town.

- The community is quite different on Xegony. While the server is definitely populated, general chat seems to be quieter than servers with comparable populations (CT, FV). It's not necessarily bad, but if you're accustomed to the bustle of FV general chat, it can seem a bit vacant. I can't really comment on the availability of groups, and I never joined one of the leveling guilds. If you aren't already coming in with a raid guild in mind, it's probably worth joining up with one of the lowbie friendly crews on the server. Be sure to catch those daily Lions MGBs (this was actually really neat)!

Can't really help you on your box suggestions, but honestly at this point in the game it's hard to go wrong with any combo. If you want to hit the end-game quickly, it might be worth considering a strong solo class or a powerful duo. I really can't stress enough how awful normal XP is if you're not used to it :p.

Good luck! Xegony seems like a nice place.
    Felicite likes this.
  8. Bella222 Elder

How do you guys 4-box anyway. I just moved here from EQ2 where I 2-boxed occasionally and have been really enjoying 2-boxing here as it is so much easier. But how do you manage it? Is there some place to go for tips. I have 2 computers at my disposal and at present 3 accounts but can't imagine handling 3. Do you do macros? Where can I go to learn macros better. All I really use at present is "assist" and maybe pet attack????????
  9. dundada3100 Elder

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Janakin and Reht like this.
  10. Powerranger Journeyman

So I'm not the best boxer on earth but I do alright... I have 2 comps and three monitors... 2 mice 2 keyboards and a large desk.

I keep my warrior and zerker on my main comp and monitor.. I move my task bar to the left hand side of the screen and click between the 2 instances there. I prefer that to having it on the bottom.

Enchanter and shaman are on the monitor to the left and have the same setup.. keyboard is to the left of main keyboard and mouse is to the right of main mouse..

I pretty much main the warrior and zerker and run the chanter and shaman with macros.

Moogs made a great post awhile back on boxing an enchanter and I pretty much followed his recommendations...

I have a debuff/dot key for simple 1 or 2 mob fights and some mez hotkeys he suggested..

For shaman I have kinda the same.. 3 different macros a debuff one a dot one and a heal one.. I keep all three toons on auto follow of the warrior.. no levetate... and just pull with war, spam his mash keys... reach over to other keyboard dot/debuff with chanter, dot/debuff with shaman, switch to zerker and mash his keys... rinse and repeat.

I mean I'm no where near what a real enchanter or shaman could be doing but that's okay... most mobs take under 30-40 sec to kill especially now that my entire crew is mostly geared out.... making the jump from CoTF / TDS bazaar gear and going straight to EoK T 1 was rough...But I toughed it out and now I'm getting ready to try and box the progression.\
  11. Greldek New Member

Heh I'm thinking about doing this same thing, except I'm considering going from my server to FV, for the exp boost. My mains are all in their 70's now, and it's just a slow and boring crawl. And I'm hoping the 50% base bonus makes it better.

Pretty much all your groups are strong, though some seem like they would be pretty low DPS so you'd want to run DPS mercs I'm sure.

The group I was thinking of going with was all half elf:
    Paladin Druid Ranger Bard - running a DPS merc and a cleric merc. Positioning would be a little tiresome to 60ish, but once the ranger gets his frist rounds of archery AA's he can become much easier to box with, with just autofire assist macros. While the druid is running dot macros, bard is just off singing about broken hearts and lost dogs or w/e. And the paladins just trying to keep threat.

When I box, I prefer to let a merc do the majority of my healing. Because healing in EQ is boring. Back in the way back I raided on a shaman, and after the initial slowing on fights I was always on heal duty, so I've had my fill. That being said in most of my box groups I always want someone I can swap to and emergency heal with. So I always want a druid or shaman in group too.

I also always want a SoW. It just makes lvls 10 through like 65 or so so much better IMO. I guess with a bard you can do without SoW, but I still like SoW especially if I'm not pulling with the bard. Honestly I like bards because I can just afk them and keep them running on a back window. I feel like I can 3 box pretty well with just alt tabbing (1 comp 1 keyboard/mouse). It's not too bad having something running in a 4th window, but the less I have to do with them the better, cause it messes up my rhythm.

Anyway GL with your group. By my requirements I'd go for the Drakkin group with the druid, but that's just me. Or switch out the cleric for druid in the 2nd Drakkin group, and run a cleric merc.

Also if I can't find a good fit for a 4th, I just use it as an occasional PL spot and run 3 mercs.
  12. Bella222 Elder

What you wrote was really helpful Powerranger. Thanks.
  13. Anhari Augur

You young 'ens are so much better at this boxing thing than I have ever been, and I have been playing EQ since 2000. I tried 2 boxing a warrior/cleric way back before merc's and did fairly well, but any more than that I and get totally lost and confused. That's real sad since I used to be a programmer, so computers and keyboards are nothing new to me!

I feel right at home with my merc (Mrspok) and my bonny pet (Docmacoy). Wish I had planed ahead and either named my necro either Kirk or Scotty! Would fit much better.

Look for my small team on Xenogy, member of The Lions of Heart.
  14. Dabrixmgp Augur

too bad drakkin cant be beastlords.

Beastlord
    Enchanter
    Druid
    Mage

Would be a pretty sick group.
    Could always add Team Wood Elf:

Beastlord
    Bard
    Druid
    Warrior
  15. moogs Augur

Not sure, but Powerranger may be referring to this thread. There are many like it. Hope it helps a little bit.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...anter-to-box-group-looking-for-advice.236903/
  16. Minato Augur

Why would you leave FV? is it cause im mostly retired and dont keep general as lively? =P
  17. Miss_Jackie Custom Title

Lively? Who you kidding? You're about as lively as a corpse, dear. :p
    Minato likes this.
  18. Grove Augur

For consideration of the race of your boxed set, I suggest gnome or frog. I have full sets of mercenaries of these races on some of my characters.