PET FOCUS

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Yimin, Feb 15, 2017.

1. ~Mills~ Augur

Really think people underestimate just how our warrior pet has become on its own. It doesn't come with equal stats to mage base pet, it doesnt come with complete armor set when summoned, the warrior pet doesn't proc defensive boosts, we don't proc theft of essence on our pet. The recent rounds of nerfs have gutted the pet. Its just that the necro can tank a few rounds to buy time, swarm pets can tank a few rounds to buy time or we can spam 3 runes on the pet to buy time, its just not worth all that effort in most cases just to prove it CAN be done. Considering a raid focus and all the AA spent on pet defensive's.
  2. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

The only thing I see is you refusing to believe other people are playing the game with a necro and beating content molo which you claim cannot be done. I showed you step 1, focus is not needed, reactive merc, block the right heals on pet, RB, now make RB proc. Start in Lceanium, work your way up from there. Step 2, find something that makes step 1 harder, now work in runes but do not just spam them. Fill the healing gap with them. If the pet is full health and the rune is on, merc is on break for no reason.

The raid focused pet with and without TS gear is tanking named in Kor-Sha before the patch. It got easier post patch. A group geared player can molo beyond trash mobs too. Swarm pets can tank a mob by themselves if you properly manage aggro. The severe weakness you speak of is just not there. You do not have to believe it for it to be true.
  3. ~Mills~ Augur

you are not listening. we are not talking about what a necro can accomplish when you know what you are doing. i don't need you to enlighten me on the class.

we are talking about how our warrior pet has become. i don't need lessons on how to effectively utilize the speed bump it is by doing x, y and z in the class toolkit to overcome what its become. the only topic is the base power of the warrior pet or lack there of with the blanket nerfs to all pets. not how to utilize pet runes or swarm pets or the necro himself. So please stop spouting other none sense on the matter and claiming that somehow negates the fact the base pet even when raid focused is a glorified speed bump now.
  4. menown Augur

Yes, yes, and yes.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  5. segap Augur

For the fun of it, just took my 105 necro with 12,600 AA (no EoK AA) to Lceanium and molo'd two mobs back to back using the rogue pet (EM 18) as a tank. No swarm pets used at all. I believe I have all the defensive pet AA for TBM complete. I did have a full set of mage pet gear. Healer merc has no AA or gear. Set to reactive, no heals blocked. First kill was even con plaguebone, second was blue. Yes, they were undead and I did slow them. Did not use any heals, runes, etc during either fight. Just let the cleric merc do its thing. No burns to speed up the fight. Just cast dots with no activated AA.

That said, I'm probably about as bad of a necro as you can find. Just haven't had interest to learn the class. Yet, this was fairly trivial to do.

I have no real point of reference about what necros need or don't need. I do see necros doing well on raids despite last year's nerfs. The pet does not seem worthless from an outsider's view just mucking with a woefully spec'd necro. My mage pet's health does spike considerbly less on the same content, but it's also max EoK AA and supposed to be sturdier.
  6. menown Augur

Oh boy. Here we go again. You are acting like you are a better necro than the others here. Yes, I also can solo trash mobs in Kor'Sha. That is not what we are arguing about

I don't think the definition of being lazy is letting the pet die. That means you have to resummon a pet and buff it again. Yes, you can use Runes to keep the pet alive against trash. Do you use Runes for fighting Kor'Sha trash or not? Mills is arguing that an EM23 warrior pet should not require runes to keep a pet up vs. Kor'Sha trash 1v1.

You first say that raid focused pets are tanking named in Kor'Sha before the patch. Then you say that you have 2 pets prepped in the next quote. So does that mean your 1st pet actually dies? You make it sound like the Warrior pet easily tanks Kor'Sha named with no problems.

From my experience, the incoming damage is split between the Necro, Swarm Pets, and Warrior pet. FDs, runes, and AA pet heal are used as well. Fights usually end with 1st pet dead and either a backup pet on named or me tanking with Embalmer's or Harmshield. Yes, necros can kill names, but the pets are not God-like walls that you make them out to be.

On the launch day of the expansion, you had to rune your pet to keep it alive vs. the skeletons in Lceanium while molo. Changes have been made to both the skeletons and pets since then and runing is no longer needed there. Runing an EM23 pet while Molo is still required against certain NPCs in Chardok, Drogaa, and Kor'Sha. If you can admit that, then I will leave this forum.
    Vrinda likes this.
  7. Piemastaj Augur

So, what I am seeing is Necros want less DPS to have better tanking pets?
    Vdidar likes this.
  8. ~Mills~ Augur

Or we can just go back to having a raid focused warrior pet that can handle single targets in higher tiers with a merc. Not a trade off for anything. WHEN mage pets were tanking 3 mobs at once with zero issue certain nerfs were blanket dropped on all pets when necro warrior pets and probably bst warders didnt need them because they had no where near that kind of power. Yet they recieved the exact same kick in the teeth not a scaled reduction for them because they were already inferior.
  9. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

I really see 3 disagreements here.
    Mills - Necro pets are "god-awful" now glorified speed bumps, it was gutted
    Me - This is and it can be proven.

Menown - You can't pet tank trash in Kor'sha with those minimal tools. I also think you are kind of sort coming around to telling me you think Mills is right?
    Me - Yes and not just me, it's just game mechanics.

Siddar - I am not sure, yet, on what he is or isn't arguing..

The lazy comment was in reference to how little was required to have all of team necro survive and team Kor-sha dead at fights end. I have already stated I keep cascading out. The AA rune is always out so is the OH heal. I use it when the situation calls for it. I already showed none of them are a requirement to kill the trash in Kor'sha. If two in a row is not enough to prove it, how many in a row is required as proof? Am supposed to just accept the statement that necro pets cannot do any of this unless the necro stops doing DPS and babysits the pet?

I'm not sure how stating it was and still is possible is saying it is easy. I am not finished with hunter in Kor'sha, Chardok or Droga but, over half way in each and the pet could definitely not stand up to all of them, which I do not think is a bad thing. What's wrong with being prepared with 2 pets? I already said I even use TS gear and runes and heals. I'm not certain a necro pet could stand up to the named wurm in SW among others. The spiked golem in Kor'sha was not possible for me without a few pets and pretty much every other tool we have, again, I do not think is in anyway a negative for necros.

We are in sync except that last sentence. Where am I making them out to be God-like walls? Facts are they can stand up to trash mobs all the way into the final zone of the expansion with even minimal support. They can tank many named in EoK. The argument against what Mills is stating is a desire to show this cannot be true, a log of how it can be done in game right now. They cannot be deemed glorified speed-bumps or "god-awful" if these things are possible.

I hope you wouldn't leave the forum. This forum needs more people to support the fact that necro pets are not "god-awful" glorified speed bumps. Some of your information is doing that.
    I wasn't at skeletons on day 1 but sure, I had to rune when I was killing them ad-nauseum for collectibles when I used the main pet. While running lesson I found it faster to swarm tank them and ping-pong aggro. Still not sure how this helps the any argument. Right now, an unfocused necro pet can tank them, minimal support. Really chips away at the argument that they are god-awful glorified speed bumps and these things are not possible without TS gear.
    I cannot concede an EM23 is required everywhere but I certainly did not think I could take down any trash in EoK with an unfocused pet with minimal support until I did it. I definitely believe neither a group-geared nor a raid-geared necro can take all of EoK molo. Getting through all of the mercs and partisans, definitely. Many named, definitely. If the pet tanking is the only way to do it, no, but its neat we do not have to fully rely on the pet.
  10. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

Check this off the wishlist.
  11. Piemastaj Augur

I was joking with Menown, but I shall bite. When were Mage pets tanking 3 mobs at once with no help? For one, that is highly illogical because MOST mages would be using their Garg pets on at least 1 of those mobs and possibly 2. So, what your saying is the Mage is killing 4 mobs at the same time with no outside help? Fairly certain the Mage would be oom and the merc would have died before the mobs were killed. And, then again the pet would still not be tanking 3 mobs because Garg pets would be used.

Your gripes should not be with Mages though, which is funny. You should be upset with Warriors and their nerf tirade on pets for being able to tank ONE mob better then they could while they used 0 discs.

Like I said, I was joking around, but if you would like to get into a pet argument I am all ears :D.
  12. ~Mills~ Augur

Only Sigil rk 3 and Surety rk 2. EM 23. Max pet AA. Merc 9/10 healing acumen.

In 304s:
    Tanking summary for: Meatbag --- Total Melee --- Damage: 4984843 --- Avg hit: 9423 --- Attempts: 529 --- Hits: 529/529 [100%] --- Real Hits: 529/529 [100%] 16,344 incoming dps from a single Di'zok legionnaire in Kor-Sha Lab for that 5 minutes.

Pet was dead numerous times if I didn't spam heal it just for it to last 5 minutes for some data. Not sure if pets are bugged with rip/parry/dodge or if I just had it filtered out by mistake or if custom name impacts it. But the damage, avg hit and incoming dps are all accurate.

Don't have access to compare to a mage warrior pet with the mitigation proc or a bst warder with tank buff on.
  13. Cicelee Augur

When was magician pets capable of tanking three mobs at once with zero issues?

I mean I have played a main magician since February 2000. So maybe you mean that between March 1999 and January 2000 magician pets could do that? Man I missed the good times...
  14. ~Mills~ Augur

My argument isn't with mages, I retract my statements of what mage pets were capable of back before the EM nerfs and general pet nerfs came to be.
  15. IblisTheMage Augur

Weee my mage is from Feb 2000 as well =).
  16. Siddar Augur

RoF early CotF before the pet nerfs. Maybe now with tradeskill items and new mitigation buff,
  17. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

You did not try to kill the mob? You stood there and let your pet get beat on and the merc heal and you threw in some heals so the pet did not die?

Are you trying to improve the pet to the point it can stand against trash indefinitely with just a merc healer? Why?

If you tried to kill the mob, you would be procing a significant amount of FREE heals from RB. You honestly expect a dev to ignore the fact this tool exists when balancing the pet? Aside from that, your pet can stand up against end-zone trash for 5 minutes with minimal survival tools and this is not good enough on top of the other improvements they gave necros in the group game?

You are a silly goose.
  18. menown Augur

I am sure he is trying to keep it alive so all variables are the same when parsing pet data.
  19. ~Mills~ Augur

You are right what was I thinking. Linking a 45 second parse would be very useful compared to 5 minutes of data to show how much incoming damage the pet sees in a real game setting.

The merc never would have run out of mana by spamming heals on the pet, oh wait it was almost out of mana just for that data.

How is me spamming a 20k base heal every 3 seconds minimal survival tools? RB would not have even been close to that amount of healing. Our base warrior pet even raid focused is a speed bump.

We are not talking about necros themselves we are talking about necro warrior pet tuning. Its asinine talking with you at this point. I say our raid focused warrior pets are trash in higher zones unless we put in all this effort that makes it not worthwhile because we can do the same thing 3 other ways without all the extra nonsense. Because of how blanket nerfs were far to harsh on a tank pet that was already well behind. You show me raid focused pets tanking in entry zones or tell me a necro warrior pet can't tank any better because necros have fd and lev.

The data doesn't lie, 16.3k incoming dps from a single trash mob on a raid focused warrior pet with max pet aa and even after this focus change seems very high.
  20. Koryu Professional Roadkill

Pretty sure your pets are killing themselves. You guys used sarnak as examples mobs to be tanked, which was a mistake. You do know that every mob race got a special ability this expansion, right? The sarnak racial ability is Sarnak Finesse, a buff that ripostes all attacks from the front for 6 seconds plus shadow tick duration. This is true for sarnak in Scorched Woods, Chardok, Gates of Kor-Sha, Kor-Sha Labs, and the sarnak that show up in the Lceanium mission. Real tanks have to deal with this as well, but we're smarter than pets, we can turn off autoattack and resume when the buff is gone/dispelled, or switch targets if we're tanking multiple mobs. Pets don't have AI, they blindly autoattack into this buff once ordered to and destroy themselves against it.