UI Scaling

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Kugoruk, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Kugoruk New Member

Any plans for you guys to add UI Scaling? With 2k and 4k prices dropping it will be common for more people to have 2k or 4k monitors. I just purchased a 4k monitor and playing EQ on it looks great, besides the UI becomes so tiny you can't read it.

So I spent hours I mean hours trying to adjust a custom UI to fit a 4k screen, Its just pixel widths right? WRONG.

Most games in today's market include a UI Scale in the options window. I really wish this is something Daybreak would look at. Plus as I get older my vision gets worst and it would be nice to have an option to make your default UI bigger.

Not to mention how many visually impaired people you may make happy. :)
  2. moogs Augur

This is best handled at www.eqinterface.com

It's already been done or it's pretty easy with some XML editing. The bigger problem is that the interface is too large for laptops.
  3. Kugoruk New Member

Ok since you think it is so easy to edit the XML of a current UI to fit 4k by doubling all the pixel counts and increasing the font size over 30+ XML files you go ahead and make one for me please!

Also since you believe a 4k resolution UI exist you please go ahead and locate it for me and post it here. I'll wait for your reply.
  4. moogs Augur

Bummer, you're right. No one has shared a full UI set for 4k native. And for the record, I do agree that UI scaling would be a nice feature supported natively, but EQ's UI development is pretty awful as a whole.

You don't need to edit any XML files to adjust /chatfontsize # (The default value is 3). You also don't need to edit any XML files to make the hotbar buttons whatever size you like. (Right click, Button Size. Default is 100.) The health bars in the extended target windows will stretch out.

I don't own a 4k display but I play with default_old at 2560x1600. I sometimes use a modded version for my laptop (I make the buff icons smaller, etc.). I think I adjusted EQUI_BuffWindow.xml with a Find/Replace All command to change the default values. You can do the same with, say, EQUI_PotionBeltWnd.xml to make the buttons larger than 40 pixels.

It would take more work to redo something like EQUI_BankWnd.xml. Resizing the elements isn't so bad but you would have to spend some time working with the relative X,Y coordinates line up and function correctly. If you're lacking motivation, you can always put in a request at http://www.eqinterface.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I have 4k resolution set with a 29 inch widescreen monitor.

If they let you adjust the font size on the buttons and in the typing pane life would be much easier.

You can change the size of the buttons in the default UI but not the text on the buttons.

You can use /chatfontsize to change the text in the display portion of the message window but not in the typing area. Means more typos for me because I can't easily read what I am typing without concentrating on it as the type is so small.
  6. Kugoruk New Member

/chatfontsize 5 only goes so far. It changes just the chat windows font size. Not players names in Group window or the Targets name in extended target, or any of inventory info or anything else that ends up super tiny.

The lack of an good UI system in this game is one of the reasons it is so hard to start playing. The graphics are not terrible, but the UI is clunky and hard to modify and terrible on different resolutions and often is either way to big or way to small for users.

Them spending some developing time polishing the UI would be a GODSEND for this game. A better user experience leads to happy PAYING customers.
    moogs likes this.
  7. moogs Augur

Completely agree. (Okay, the graphics are terrible sometimes, but I digress...)

One of the problems with the UI is that with each expansion there are new features. With new features come new UI elements. What we've ended up with after 18 years is a total patchwork with very little consistency and not as much flexibility as there should be for a game this mature in its development.
  8. Kugoruk New Member

The UI looks like a pig with lipstick. No matter how much the apply it's never going to look that great. A really fluid design would make game play so much more enjoyable. I would take an updated UI over 3 keyrings they added any day. The keyrings are completely useless besides giving you a few more empty bag slots.

You can say they are good for something if you really want, but if they would have taken that development time and applied it to redesigning the UI. It would have been a better investment in the long run.
  9. Phantom Ghost Augur

No idea here, but can you use nvidia control panel to make custom resolutions and scaling?
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I like the UI except for the fact that /chatfontsize does not affect all text just what is shown in the reading pane. Doesn't affect the writing pane or pretty much any other text.