monk and carrying *stuff*

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by eq_fan, Feb 17, 2017.

1. eq_fan Journeyman

So it is my understanding that monks have a weight restriction. Does that mean I can't carry a bunch of backpacks (mixing bowls for me) and do extended grinding for loot?

The reason I ask is that I'm fairly new to my server and I have no money other than the farming I do. It would suck if I have to constantly, gate or run to local merchant to vendor goods
  2. Dropfast Augur

You can carry whatever you want but yes after a certain amount of weight you start losing AC. So the highest weight reduction bags are really needed. If your not getting hit and just dps'ing it's no big deal but yea. I don't know what the current weight limit is but I remember a long time ago it was like 18 stones or something. The level cap was much lower then, who knows what it is now. 100% W/R ftw.
  3. moogs Augur

Thankfully coin is now weightless. Used to be that monks preferred the group's main looter to disable Auto Split because they would have to destroy all of the annoying copper.
  4. moogs Augur

Which server are you playing on? I'm sure someone here can hook you up.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

This is a couple of years old so not sure if it's still valid but the table used to be for monks only:
    Level range Weight limit
    1-14 14.9
    15-29 15.9
    30-44 16.9
    45-50 17.9
    51-54 18.9
    55-59 20.9
    60-64 24.9
    65-69 26.9
    70-74 28.9
    75-79 30.9
    80-84 32.9
    85-95 34.9

It looks very little to me but then I never played a monk. I think its pounds not stone since this game is based in US. :confused:
  6. Dropfast Augur

Stones are pounds. It's a old term from back in the day ) Has nothing to do with being outside US, I was just channeling my inner noob / having flashbacks. ;)
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

oh hahhaah :oops: sorry I though you were from England. Isn't weight over there in stones?
  8. Dropfast Augur

It may be, I dunno. I just know back when roleplaying was much more popular that term was used a lot for weight.
  9. Jaylin Augur

The game doesn't actually mention what our "weight" is in terms of real world weights. A stone IRL is about 14 pounds. The game isn't consistent so real world applications are harder.
    the 10lb halas meat pie weighs 7.2. http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=15106
    While the fetid bass weight 1/10th of their lb weight. a 15 lb fetis is 1.5 weight. http://everquest.allakhazam.com/search.html?q=fetid bass
    While other meats use a 1:1 ratio http://everquest.allakhazam.com/search.html?q=cragbeast meat

That aside, the chart posted is fairly accurate as far as weight now. It's more noticeable at low levels with the lower cap, but as you get higher it goes up. With aa packrat its fairly easy to stay under the cap
  10. Dropfast Augur

Lol, it was not meant to be taken literally. I know a stone does not = a pound. Just what us old farts called it back in the day... That's all.
  11. Pani Augur

Instead of running back to sell, you can do /barter and click on the things in your bag and see if anyone is looking to buy them and sell them right out in the field, from what I understand.
  12. Elsewhere Elder

One option if you don't have lots of platinum to buy 100% Weight reduction bags is to ask a Magician to summon some for you (offering a small donation is always good manners, and usually refused by most if they can see you are a new player). Also being a monk, the Magician can also summon you up a boat load of bandages and throwing stars.

The important thing to remember is that the bags/items are TEMPORARY, so empty them before you log out. If you have a good 2-3 hour play session ahead of you, they will be perfect and you can ignore the weight on pretty much everything you loot.

IIRC "back in the day" if you logged out, the bags would disappear completely, including all the contents, but now, when you log back in, they convert to permanent 25(?) weight bags, which probably means you will be so encumbered you can barely move, but still keep all your loot. (Can someone confirm this please?)
  13. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Other options:

If you are a multi-year vet, there is a veteran's reward of a clockwork banker and merchant, so you can bring them right to you.

If you check your /claim window, you may have the option to claim a Dreamweave Satchel, 16 slots, 100% WR.

Check maps and perhaps Allakhazam's bestiary to see if there are any merchants in the zone you are in, or perhaps close in a nearby zone.

Check if the zone you are in is near a PoK book, or some other useful portal (like guild hall portals). Then, if you have either a PoK port item (I don't have one, so don't remember what it's called) or an anchor to your housing or guild hall, you can port back, sell & bank, and then pop back to your hunting grounds.

You mention "farming" in your original post. If this implies fighting mobs a fair bit lower level than you, then don't sweat the weight, you won't need the extra AC.

There are a number of quests packs in the game which are 100% WR. You can search for some of those to help. Here's a place to start: http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:Items_Containers_100WR

Finally, for the tailored (player made) WR packs, they come in 12, 14, 16, 18 and 20 slot varieties. The 12 slotters shouldn't be too expensive, and you should be able to find someone to make it for you just for the cost of the mats.

Post-finally (!!!), there is a 32 slot tradeskill-mat-only bag that is player made, they're not too expensive, and you'd be surprised how much of what you loot will go in that bag. I keep two of these in my inventory, near the top, so as I loot, the TS mats all go in those bags first.

Hope this helps,

Tat
    eq_fan likes this.
  14. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Also, there is a way to preserve TEMPORARY items. If you have a house, you can put the items in there before you log out, and they'll be there when you log back in. A bit of a pain, since you'd have to empty the bags first, but every little bit helps.
    eq_fan likes this.