new player tips and tricks video series

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by moogs, Jan 30, 2017.

1. moogs Augur

I joined a newbie/returning player guild on some alts last week and sometimes I forget just how big and complicated EQ can be. I'm going to record some quick videos next week. I'd like to cover some questions that come up over and over, such as:

How do I install maps?
    How do I create a social (macro)?
    How do I drag a corpse and consent another player to drag mine?
    Which mercenary should I use?
    How do I create spell sets?
    Where can I get bags?
    What are augmentations?
    Which loot should I keep and what should I sell?
    What should I give to my pet?

Also, use of:

/claim
    /barter
    /market
    /bazaar
    Loyalty merchant
    personal tribute
    maps and the zone guide
    advanced PC and NPC targeting
    hidden (by default) interface features such as Combat Abilities, Potion Belt, Bandolier

Please post with further suggestions!
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  2. gotwar Gotcharms

- use of the find function
    - creating new UI windows and the importance of placing group chat/tells in an easy-to-read location, chat filters (from the options window -> chat tab)
    - standing behind a mob isn't just for rogues <---- we still consistently see people who don't know this and its /boggling
    - proximity aggro and you
    - the power of google, with a focus on alla/EQR/raidloot
    - advanced loot and why it's objectively better than the old way
    - questing 101, or, how to quest without asking a question on every task update
    - pet taunt, pet hold, pet ghold, and why your group/guild mates will want to punch you in the face if you don't know how to use them
    - basic etiquette

advanced topics:

- heroic stats 101
    - w-t-f is an SPA
    - buff blocking
    - Xtarget 201
    - how2hotswap spells
    - gamparse/GINA and why they're needed
    - audio triggers
    - aggro and you, part 2
    - multibinds

I think that covers most of the common topics I regularly have to explain to folks
    moogs likes this.
  3. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

You guys covered pretty much everything, this is what I think is especially important:

This is #1 most important thing for me. I think if I were to start playing EQ for the first time, difficulty handling the UI would stop me before anything else. UI modification can be complex, I think if you made an intro video it should be short and cover only the most important basics (how to hide spam, how to move chat windows / filters, /chatfontsize, maybe window fade/translucence). Nobody wants to watch a 10 min video about how to set up your UI for the first time. Also the EQ tutorial doesn't cover this iirc.

/xtarget especially, delegate Main Assist, Puller, Target's Target. The aggro meter could be included in this. As an aside, how MA etc. affects mercenary behavior.

On this, suggestions for basic macros like some of these:
    /assist, /assist main, and /assist raid
    /corpsedrag, /corpsedrop, /corpse
    /autofire
    /doability x
    /alt act x
    /useitem (perhaps needs its own topic) or dragging item icons to hotbars

I think this one is important, too. EQ isn't as quest driven as a lot of newer games, and this can be confusing for new players. What the heck do we "do" in this game? Mostly grinding. :p
    moogs and gotwar like this.
  4. moogs Augur

Going to skip 3rd party software as I don't really use it and it can be better covered (and probably has been already) by its creators and other champions.

/advloot is a big one to include. UI setup I covered a few years ago but should redo soon. questing 101 is another good one.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

And the big one: Why should I do the WHOLE tutorial in gloomingdeep? How to make a bag in Gloomingdeep http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/recipe.html?recipe=24220. Also if someone has lost their guild upon returning after many years away or is just starting and too low a level to join one the generic guild "Novices of Your Server" quest in POK would be helpful. I just ran thru it this weekend and it worked fine.
    moogs likes this.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

"the power of google, with a focus on alla/EQR/raidloot"
    Please add eq traders, I know we all heave a sigh when someone asks how to make something. Maybe even a fast overview of the fast quests to 50, the ones in ab sea and cresent reach.
    gotwar and moogs like this.
  7. moogs Augur

I have never even heard of this. Going to check it out.
  8. svann Augur

As soon as you can, get yourself a caster merc. They tank better than tank mercs.
  9. Pani Augur

Been playing since 2000 and I am even looking forward to reading/seeing all this info. :)
  10. Greldek New Member

An intro to missions and instances would be nice. I returned recently to my old lvl 65 PoP era shaman and really have no idea what's going on. But I seep people talk bout tasks and missiosn all the time and don't even know where to begin.
    moogs likes this.
  11. moogs Augur

Welcome back! I will definitely cover this.
    Greldek likes this.
  12. moogs Augur

I was thinking about this last night and I am going to start the series with this one. If my software behaves, I should have the first one uploaded this evening.
  13. moogs Augur

Server error double post
  14. moogs Augur

First 5 have been posted. Keep the suggestions coming.
  15. Grove Augur

16. Annastasya Augur

How to climb ladders/walls/tall solid objects.
    How to get out of a pool of water with raised edges.
    Basic movement tips and tricks while walking/running/floating/riding a mount.
    Autoduck and rewind functions.
    moogs likes this.
  17. Orangemilk New Member

I would suggest something on purity and power sources. I'm a recently returning player, and I would have really loved to see a video explaining this with examples.
    moogs likes this.
  18. Peechka Journeyman

Guild features...

How to set up personal guild
    Where is guild hall
    What features does guild hall have
    How do I use guild portal (Like I just learned yesterday that you only need one stone to set portal, not one for every character like I have been doing for years, duh!)
    moogs likes this.
  19. moogs Augur

This was one of the first ones that I recorded:

I hope to produce some more tomorrow. Had some problems with my video card randomly shutting off and needed to swap it out.
  20. moogs Augur

Updated the playlist with several more. Thanks for the suggestions.
  21. moogs Augur

Updated the playlist with four more.