So... Monks.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sundance, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisard Silly

WTB 3min duration, 3 min re-use....Heel disc... >=)
    Gelido likes this.
  2. Cactuszach Elder

I think this is worth talking about.

There are 2 big things, in my opinion, that have kept monks from getting any meaningful improvements. Both are unfortunately due to bad perception.

1: How good they were in the early days. They could tank the first two expansions about as well as anyone.

2: A certain third party program that allowed monks to do some really unfair things. If I had to guess, this might be the biggest reason.

Because of these two things, I think that has impacted what the developers are willing to do for monks and thats really unfortunate.
  3. Gelido Lorekeeper

#MonkLivesMatter
    jeffsheila and Lisard like this.
  4. jeffsheila New Member

that's right Gelly Bean, #MonkLivesMatter
    Gelido likes this.
  5. Gelido Lorekeeper

You have got to be either a cleric in my guild, or Cavman....Stalker!!!
  6. Kassus New Member

Monks need non burn damage increase. Have seen several monks burn pretty well, but when they are not burning they are not doing much at all. The auto attack damage is horrible.
  7. Gelido Lorekeeper

Well yeah, Auto Attack will suck regardless, If you have a lot endurance while fighting you are wrong. You should always be hitting Breather and continue attacking until you run across a named or something that you need a tad bit more endurance.
  8. Symbius Augur

So have you had communication with them on how you feel since you are the CRT rep?

You say that nothing gets done because Monks can't agree on anything, perhaps a step in the right direction would be to post a list of detailed issues that you personally would like to see changed.

Nobody is going to agree on everything, but a general guideline on what needs to be done could be outlined. I can easily run down my list.

1) Crit Rate -- This is awful for Monks and it shows up quite easily in the EoK T3 raids with that Aura that strips Crit from everyone. This puts everyone on an even playing field in regards to crit and suddenly Monks rise up drastically. As soon as a Berserker gets rid of that Aura they are back to doubling people up. I'm not saying Monks should have the Crit Rat of a Berserker, but boosting this one thing would bring Monks closer to where they should be.

2) August 19, 2015 TDS Patch Melee Adjustments -- Monks were lumped in with Tanks when these adjustments went live for some reason. This needs to be adjusted up to be in line with what the Monk class is, a DPS class.

Also in this patch: "Reduced by 50 the skill damage modifier on Innerflame Discipline and its upgrades (Crystalpalm, Diamondpalm, Terrorpalm) due to innate AA increases. This is designed to keep melee burns the same (or higher) while increasing damage at all other times." -- For some reason they felt this disc was actually used as a primary Burn disc. It was already low on priority and now it's next to worthless. That should at least be reverted, if not buffed.

3) Stagnation of Disciplines: There hasn't been a significant upgrade of Monk Disc's in a while. We are still using Disc's from many expansion ago. These all need upgrades even with non-level increasing expansions.

4) The nerf of Thunderfoot: This one wasn't documented and I'm sure the Devs simply will call it a bug fix, but originally it fired on any FK ability. Now it only fires on a single key press of FK. While it's not my preference to rely on Weapon Procs or Ability Procs of any kind, this is a staple class ability now and it would go a very long way in assisting Monks if it still did have a chance to fire from any FK type of ability like it originally did.

5) Dicho: Compared to other DPS Dicho's out there, this one isn't that hot. My biggest beef with this is the refresh timer. Compared to something like the Berserker Dicho, it's garbage. Add in the seriously longer refresh and it becomes laughable. This needs to be overhauled.

6) Pets: Seriously, get rid of them. There is a beautiful ability in Zalikor's Fang, upgrade that.

7) Endurance Regen: This needs some serious attention. I only put it this low because it doesn't always rear its ugly head. Most raids I can't even use Alliance because I'm gasping for endurance and running a Disc+Alliance off Breather doesn't work well at all.

There has been an AA for Monks for a long while now called Divine Surge of Battle. This was even given ranks in EoK, but it uses Eagles Strike skill attacks. Nobody in their right mind would use Eagle Strike over Tiger Claw, change this.

8) Discipline Refresh Timers: I'm not overly concerned with this one, but it would be nice if a few of these were reduced a slight bit. Overall I don't believe this to be a serious issue.

There are definitely things I would love to have, but this list is really what I believe to be the core problems with the class.
  9. Vdidar Augur

I think they are going to bring monk dps up by needing everyone else lol
  10. Gelido Lorekeeper

This...x100
  11. Minato Augur

Assuming the dot changes went live as it was on test. /wrist see everyone when daybreak figures out what classes do
    Gelido likes this.
  12. Lisard Silly

back to the top with you! don't let this get buried
  13. Qulas Augur

Symbius,

Many of the recommendations and complaints in your post are echoing the exact complaints that I've been saying for years about the monk class. Our (the players) idea of what is balanced many times does not come close to what they (the developers) feel is balanced. They also will not give a 'blueprint' of what 'class balance' is supposed to be, so there's never anyway to get a clear answer on if we 'should' be more dps or not.

Frankly now that priests will legitimately be able to out burn us and likely out sustain us, I can't see how they feel this is acceptable.
    Ishtass, Quility, Riou and 1 other person like this.
  14. segap Augur

Now that the priests will be busy with dots and not healing, your role is to bandage players to make up for the healers to busy doing DPS to heal. Just like the classic days when monks used to emergency bandage the tank mid fight in group content. I'm sure mages miss mass summoning bandages.

Someone should go to the Monk BP thread and suggest the new focus be improved bandaging. Likewise on the Mage BP thread, suggest the new click be an AE bandage summon.
    Cakekizy, Xikteny and Metanis like this.
  15. Manaelil Elder

According to a friend he did 611k over 200s on a Shaman. A wizard with max adps wouldn't be able to do that much. A wizard could theoretically do 600k over 90s with 2 chantys in a group setting while using shocking vortex. There is no way a wizard could do 611k over 200s in a raid setting. Maybe once I have my eyes of Life and Decay and maybe with a perfect setup and perfect adps it could be possible but I doubt any of those bonuses will make up for the absence of shocking vortex in a raid setting.

The point of all this is that shamans now outdps wizards as well as monks. Since (according to certain high level parses I've seen) wizards and mages are somewhat equivalent now that means shamans are also doing more damage than mages.

Monks definitely need a boost but its Shaman dps that is the aberration here. Shamans Zerkers and Warriors should be high on the list for a dps nerf or there should be substantial boosts in the works for other dps classes. I don't know where necros sit after the changes so I will reserve comment on that until I see some parses from someone with decent abilities. It seems to me however that class balance becomes more distorted by the day.
  16. Kunon Augur

Will just say with full ADPS (bard, chanter) your friend isn't exaggerating.

As of today Necros only beat Bards and Clerics in burst. In sustained they are fighting it out with 2 other classes for 3rd all things being equal depending on raid mechanics. The DoT revamp should change that and put them above a lot of classes, but then the issue for Necros will be them sitting OOM after 5 minutes while waiting another 5 minutes for Death Bloom (10 minutes) to pop after using it and Blood Magic (18 minutes). It will be interesting for the class if their DoTs get the same treatment as others have with no other changes.

And Monks need some Dev love and DPS boosts.
  17. -wycca Augur

Ironically enough, on TLP servers, Monks are among the top parsers to date. They're looking to be #1 in PoP again. :p
  18. heruthemonk Lorekeeper

I personally think upping the Crit rate to the same as rogues + disconnecting Eagle Strike from the same timer as Tiger Claw , would help things out. Combine that with Wu's chaining and a reasonable chunk of DPS would be gained without being crazy OP

Also couldn't agree more , get rid of the stupid pet and upgrade Zalikors Fang !

Shaman's were long overdue a DPS overhaul , just would like to see Monks brought up with the melee pack.
    Ishtass likes this.
  19. Minato Augur

20. MrMajestykx Augur

The idea they have about monks is that, and I m relegated to the fact, is nothing will change, nothing will be given to us and they just dont give a flying 2 cents about the monk class. We are just to suck it up and watch everything go by us while others gain. Its a painful fact to see, they could care less. #monklivesdontmater
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.