3 box?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Thesehips, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Thesehips Journeyman

Looking for a 3rd box idea.

Right now I 2 box an Enc (main) / Dru (box) (sometimes swap the dru for my mage, but not often anymore since EOK came out.)

So my options I'm considering are:
    Clr
    Bard
    Wiz

Those are the 3 I'm mainly thinking.
    I'm open to other suggestions but I guess right now, I'm mainly looking for something to add. Preferred either dps, adps or extra heals (for if the dru can't keep up at the time if I need them
    ex: vs named)
    Please note that more or less I'd be either starting the character from scratch or borrowing my mom's old acct (the clr, 80 something).
  2. Thesehips Journeyman

Update on thoughts:
    Pally? -- on those times I don't feel like rune tanking. Would nneed to properly gear it tho =/ hm
    Mage? -- I've played a mage before so I know how to more-or-less properly play one -- em ear i think would be my only concern.
    Necro -- again, I've played one pretty well before. Same em ear issue as the mage tho... and less chance to get pet toys unless I swap my dru for mage on that acct. Would also have to tab over frequent enough to flop.
    Shm? -- I've had one before (have one on the enc's acct I think, even) and I've messed around on a friend's shm before to help him lvl some. Extra heals, Call / rez eventually, more dps. Only concern is they help out melee more then casters and I'd prefer to keep my casters tyvm
  3. Gerzer Lorekeeper

The following lineup would take a little changing your 'Tanking' mindset but has proven to be pretty indestructible through all of CoTF - TDS - TBM - EoK T1

Mage - Pet Tank
    Wizard - Macros for decent sustained DPS - actively played on nameds for fantastic burn DPS & ports just like Druid but no tracking.
    Chanter - gamechanging CC - ADPS - slows - self dps. Puller

That trio with a mix of DPS/ Healer mercs will take you far and if you are in a camp where you plan to be for awhile all 3 toons can have macros made to make some of the 'every mob' stuff easier

I currently run with:

Warr (on my wiz account)
    Mage - dps
    Bard - pulls/ track adps
    Merc
    Merc
    Merc

1 caveat to mage pet tanking... merc dps is very spotty because of the constant swapping of aggro between mage pet and RS pet. With warr I can engage from pull and wiz mercs are on full burn with no loss of aggro- basically the dps mercs seem to 'stay on target' MUCH better with a real tank vs mage pet/RS combo.

1 last thing - looks like me, toons on the same account might be a determining factor for you - so if the mage/Druid are on same account - can always pay to move the Druid.... then you have:

Mage
    Chanter
    Druid

And that is a seriously powerful trio that keeps spot heals for when mercs suck AND you keep track--- which in EoK makes such a huge difference.
    moogs likes this.
  4. Thesehips Journeyman

Id be happy to transfer my mage but Im not sure how to do that. The char transfer token is only across servers (not accts) unless Im missing something?
  5. moogs Augur

You have to open a support ticket to transfer characters between accounts. This is a paid service.
  6. Peechka Journeyman

I have a shaman on test that I ran with an SK/Ranger/ 2 dps mercs and 1 healer at about mid 90s. That setup was nice for outdoors, ranger pulls with calms to break camps, SK great tank, but shaman was kind of only a meh adition, basically a buff bit*h. The slows rarely worked to full potential 80+, hardly ever healed with her (t5 merc was excellent healer) and the dots rarely landed so I would have to malosi the mob first, then cast the various dots, and by the time I landed like 2-3 of them, the mob was almost dead. Waste of mana.

Now that being said, I have not tried any of the new shaman changes on test. Not sure if they rolled the shaman dot changes across all lines of spells or rather only the top Lv100+ ones. But from my experience I would pass on shaman. Only useful for buffs and eeking out that last bit of dmg from the melee as a box. Maybe do up a chanter or a mage instead. Way more DPS at the cost of missing that buff bit*h.

Mage was really nice, I ran one on a server, vanilla to pop, and they were reallly nice to box with. Send pet in, and apply a few nukes. Plus all that summoned stuff was nice too.

Cleric I would personally pass on in a box crew. IMO the t5 mers do an excellent job healing and cleri just does not add much DPS wise, save maybe the undead stuff and really weak nukes. Maybe a necro, mage, ench? that sounds like a good trio. Mage can tank and supply summoned gear to necro pet. Send in pets and nuke away, use chanter for CC when needed. 2 DPS mercs, 1 healer. Maybe switch out for 2 healer and 1 dps merc for nameds. Or even a tank merc, depending on changes they made to them on test? But my past experience tank mercs folded fast post 75-80, hopefully they buffed them.

Thats just my thoughts
  7. iVALADYANx That's a Necromancer

having a 3rd boxx pet class gives you a tank pet with taunt when charms break, ima bst. bst also have crac and paragon for zero downtime.
  8. IblisTheMage Augur

Brd, war, wiz
  9. Tucoh Augur

I box war/bard/mage.

Adding a tank is your best option by far. If you want to spend minimal time on the tank the best option is a warrior. If you are able to spend a lot of time on the tank an SK is better.

The bard doesn't stack well with enc/dru because enchanters give similar buffs and druids can track. The cleric doesn't stack well with druid because druids can heal. The wizard is fine, but may be constrained by tank merc's aggro (I really don't know).

Note: I don't know how good tank mercs are with today's patch, but I'll be very surprised if they are remotely as good as a real tank. Once you get a real tank geared and play him correctly they are monsters.
  10. Murphy Elder

anything but SK and Ench. Nerfs r hard peeps.
  11. Ellron00 Journeyman

zerker or ranger
    a tank
    shaman or bard
    win win
    Tucoh likes this.
  12. Peechka Journeyman

I like Ranger there than zerk, maybe better deeps on the zerk, but ranger brings more utility. Those outdoor calms, roots , sanres, and track cannot be overstated.

Oh and Tuco, dont you have some politics to debate at FOH?
  13. Mattnaik Lorekeeper

Track for sure. Not sure the calms are worth much since they only work on lvl 105 and below and unless you are working on older content, it's not used too often. Plus with an enchanter main, single pulling is not going to be an issue.
  14. Peechka Journeyman

Maybe not in the 105 game, sure, but there is lots of stuff to beat up on before you even get to 105. I know I used the hell out of my calm lines over the levels. Just last night I was using it in BOT for my SK/Ranger/Shaman combo. (not sure why BOT is considered and outdoor zone, I was surprise it worked.)

But yeah, might be redundant with a Chanter main, but still Ranger any day for utility over Zerker.
  15. moogs Augur

There are a bunch of storm and lightning effects, which you'd assume would come from clouds. If not from clouds, then probably a magical storm god like Karana. Oh wait, he lives there.

But after you get the Enchanted Ring of Torden (?) and step on a teleport pad there's that little area with the wasps that you zone to before you enter the towers. I'm pretty sure that's legit outdoors, so the zone gets one classification.
  16. Peechka Journeyman

Tonight im going to splitpaw per your rec. Last night I tried Bot, got one level there 59-60 and it was sloooow.
  17. moogs Augur

Good luck! Make sure you know your way back to the zone line. You box, though, so you ought to be all right.
  18. Thash Zoner

Splitpaw is excellent as long as you can outdamage complete heal cast by mobs. It may be only one type that does that.
  19. moogs Augur

Yeah, the wavecrashers are a pain in the . I found a good way to deal with them; totally ignore them and let them beat on you as you're killing other things. They will cast Reckoning and other cleric spells until they eventually run out of mana. Then you can just kill them like normal. Having a damage shield helps.

Most of the elementals there have a very low aggro radius, so unless they are roaming you can often just walk right around them and go kill something else. I try to ignore and avoid the wavecrashers to begin with.
  20. Thash Zoner

That's good to know. I haven't been there in a while, but if they won't heal each other, that's golden.