New-old Player

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Warlain, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Warlain Lorekeeper

Greetings!

Like most I gravitate back to this game often from time to time and even to the 's out there (shout to hidden forest for being unique).

Anyway my latest run has taken me down the Phinny path where I boxed a Ranger/Shaman and loved it. Now that pop is out and ( IMO ) the integrity of the progression is pretty much trashed from poisons/body banking blah blah I decided to possibly return to the current server from which my story started. Its pretty overwhelming just remembering what all my cool abilities are compared to my progression server Rangers. Its so fun to see how far they have some.

My Ranger is only 91, maybe 4k AA, however he has so much nostalgia for me as he has been around from the start and has earned things no boosted character would have and I very much want to level him up to max. I have a few questions for anyone who will answer

1. Where would you suggest I do to level? Hes only group geared from the HoT era and I seem to do ok there. ( I moved to Argath and got sent to bind point before my healer merc could even cast one spell... I chalk that up to reliving the glory days as a Ranger! ) So im currently grinding out light blue / blue mobs in the Grounds which is painfully slow.

2. I have a second account from my current run on Phinny so I would like to start up a box on live. Im strongly considering the Shaman again as I think the synergy is wonderful and she is a very easy box for me to control. The buffs gel well together and the Shaman slow makes things much easier for my ranger. I have heard chanter or mage to duo with a ranger. Would I do well with a shaman? Im not expecting to plow through named but just getting by would be fine.

3. To those that start new characters should I just merc PL them while babysitting with my ranger until she is 61 and then group them together or just boost to 85? Is there an easier way these days to PL with a 91 Ranger?

4. lastly, If my ranger is 91 with only 4k aa would it be better to lvl him to 100 then Auto grant? It seems I would get the most bang for my buck AA wise should I do it this way. If I auto grant now at 91 then would I need to grind the AA from 92-100 on my own ?

Thanks for any replies!

Im Grader on Xegony for any on that server reading this.
  2. moogs Augur

Hi.

If you're in the Grounds now, try zoning into The Well. Go to the large room at the far east and get the 3 kill quests from the halfling, Morrin. Kill, repeat, kill, repeat. Lots of additional XP from the quest completion and they are repeatable x infinity. You and a merc should be able to handle the room just fine. If you're flagged, the xp in Sanctus Somnium is pretty great.
  3. Warlain Lorekeeper

Thanks, I am flagged for SS. So at least Im in the right spot. Any thoughts on when I should do the autogrant?
  4. moogs Augur

There used to be a debate about whether to take Auto Grant or take advantage of the increased XP curve on the first 4,000 AAs. Assigning them manually gives you more control and you will find more time to read the descriptions of and learn how to use each new ability that you purchase. Since you clearly seem to know what you're doing - and since you played on Phini you must have a Gold membership - the short answer is to just take the Auto Grant. I check the box by the time I'm level 3 so I won't forget.
  5. Warlain Lorekeeper

Ok so I went gold with a mage box and I must say it's amazing. Although it's overwhelming I'm 92 on Ranger and almost 88 already on the mage from going through the HOT progression. I'm in upper floors now and things seem to flow very well. The two healer mercs work well with just my epic slow and mage pet tanking. I'm not sure if I can two box through the upper floors progression just yet but it's fun trying . Tier 2 was a challenge and I'm getting a bit of gear and lots of rank Two spells.

Am I doing the right thing just going through house of Thule ? It seems very level appropriate. The exp is not super fast but it's giving me time to adjust to all the mage aa's I need to learn. Definitely loving ranger mage box. Tons of pulling options.

Any other suggestions on gearing or leveling in other expansions?
    Peechka and moogs like this.
  6. moogs Augur

You're doing okay there. It's level appropriate, like you said. If you want more of a challenge you could try some of the Underfoot zones. The level cap then was only 85, but things hit HARD and the mob density and aggro radius are insane. You could also try to begin some questing in Argath or the north side of Valley of Lunanyn.
  7. Peechka Journeyman

Ranger was my first too. Human ranger back in 1999, lol. My first love and I just cannot get away from playing one evrywhere i play, on live, prog, and even servers. But my SK is slowly wining my heart.

I know people will hate me for even mentioning this, but you could run the Dead hills heroic tasks from Gribbles for exp for a while. They give you some alt currency to spend on nice gear.If you want to progress check out Argath, the gear is a bit better than HoT stuff. Also this next patch should help with merc power so you could try a tank merc again and see if hes improved.

Maybe think about rolling a 3rd box tank like a warior? I know its more $$ but this would tremendously help plus also add another DPS merc, and a solid tank will get you father with group stuff for sure. So you would have Warr/SK/Pally tank, whichever you choose, mage DPS and of tank, Ranger pull, snare and calms for splitting outside, root, vinleash CC for oh shi* moments plus good DPS... Nice combo.