Macro trouble

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by coroki, Nov 27, 2016.

1. coroki Journeyman

Having issues with my macros in game.

I've scoured the boards and been through most the forums and can't figure out what's wrong.

/pause 5, /cast 1
    /pause 30, /cast 2
    /pause 30, /cast 3
    /pause 30, /cast 4

(on 2nd line doesn't matter how long the pause is. it won't cast. Doesn't matter what spell I place there... all the other lines cast fine.

I'm stumped.
  2. CaptainSkeet Augur

The issue likely lies with your first /pause 5. When you place the pauses, they actually happen at the end of the command. So /pause 5, /cast 1 means you instantly cast spell 1, then pause for half a second before going to line 2. So, unless the spell is instant cast and has no universal recast time (most are 2.5 second global cool down AFAIK), you will be on cool down when you attempt to cast line 2. Try making the pause 30 on line 1 as well.

Also if you have a higher ping you might need longer pauses to make sure the timers work right.
    Felicite and moogs like this.
  3. moogs Augur

When a line doesn't execute, unless there is a syntax error it usually means there is a problem with the preceding line. A /pause timer of 5 only gives you a pause of 0.5 seconds after casting the first spell, which is about as much as you need for the global cooldown on all of your spells, never mind server latency and the actual casting time of that first spell.

I don't know what you have in that first spellslot but let's say it's a direct damage nuke that takes 4.0 seconds to cast (read your spell description by holding right-click on the gem).

You would want to try a /pause 50, /cast 1 and then see if the second line fires off. If it does not, then increase the /pause on line 1. If it does continue to line 2, you can try to shave off a few tenths of a second until you find the sweet spot. Maybe it's /pause 47 instead of 50.

Moogs' main nuke macro looks like this:

/pause 37, /cast 8 (cast a nuke with 2.0 second cast time, pause for 3.7 seconds)
    /pause 13, /alt activate 3728 (use my instant cast AA nuke, pause for 1.3 seconds)
    /pause 37, /cast 9 (cast a nuke with 2.0 second cast time, pause for 3.7 seconds)
    /pause 27, /cast 11 (cast a nuke with 1.0 second cast time, pause for 2.3 seconds)
    /cast 10 (cast another nuke, no pause needed after)
    Felicite likes this.
  4. moogs Augur

Well this is better but I ran over the 30 minute timer for editing posts. Some of my spells had a 48 pause timer, etc.

/pause 28, /cast 8 (cast a nuke with 2.0 second cast time, pause for 2.8 seconds)
    /pause 9, /alt activate 3728 (use my instant cast AA nuke, pause for 0.9 seconds)
    /pause 34, /cast 9 (cast a nuke with 2.0 second cast time, pause for 3.4 seconds)
    /pause 26, /cast 11 (cast a nuke with 1.0 second cast time, pause for 2.6 seconds)
    /cast 10 (cast another nuke, no pause needed after)

Thanks for posting because it caused me to re-tune my macro after all of the recent patches (I haven't been playing at all) and I cut off a full 3 seconds total.

Timers will vary depending on your ping time and whether you're getting extra input and server lag from boxing. Add enough of a buffer to ensure that each macro line executes in sub-optimal network conditions.
    Drusi likes this.
  5. svann Augur

Its up to you, but I would advise against macros that cast one spell after another. Too unwieldy. Removes the ability to choose which spell to cast when circumstances change.
    Ryanxp and Felicite like this.
  6. moogs Augur

That's good advice for newbies. I find that it's easy enough to duck (to stop casting) or click a single line macro that just reads:

/stopcast

I have that one keybound.
    CrazyLarth and Felicite like this.
  7. moogs Augur

I think you can also click a macro button a second time to stop its progress. Is that right?
  8. Caell Augur

Also, make sure no space(s) between the comma and the next forward slash, and no space(s) in front of the comma. I've always had problems if there are space(s.)

Like this
    /pause 5,/cast 1
    not like this
    /pause 5, /cast 1

Right clicking the macro button will stop the macro, actually right clicking any macro button. Macros like these are great for alts when boxing.
  9. moogs Augur

The macro works with or without a space between the comma and next forward slash. The one that I use (above) definitely has white space. You must have experienced another issue with yours (typo, syntax error, bad /pause length or unknown command).
  10. Orbital101 Augur

as much as using macro is the worse way to go it does the job for multiboxing without any type of 3rd party software but... If you want to cancel a macro... right click it and it will cancel the timers inside the macro.

make the new /pet qswarm work like a charm
  11. Daktarr Lorekeeper

If you got the /pet qswarm command to work at all, please explain it to me. I haven't been able to get it to do anything on my wizard or my mage. My /pet swarm command works fine.

Daktarr