2 MERCs

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Dreamryder, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Dreamryder New Member

Whats the chances of us getting a second merc (two mercs out at the same time) so we can more easily do group content?
  2. Thesehips Journeyman

Well, the chances could be rather high if you ran a box and popped a 2nd merc.... but as fir popping a second merc while only running ONE toon, I find that highly unlikely.
  3. Wanderica New Member

From what I've gathered in the, very, short time I've been here for EQ, I don't expect the game these days would lend itself very well to multiple mercs. However, I, for one, would like it. As most of you know, FFXI was modeled after Classic EQ, but the 2 games took very different directions in development. FFXI's focus on story meant that the old group content could never become irrelevant without allowing players to skip large portions of the story (not an option for a numbered Final Fantasy). Their solution was Trusts. In a nutshell, players can recruit a multitude of different NPCs to summon at the same time and fill out a full party. Following the story line will gradually increase the number of Trust NPCs that can be summoned simultaneously. The AI is great, and they all have different job combos, "skill levels," and uses depending on the player. I would love to see EQ take some inspiration and modify parts of the merc system to allow us players to more closely simulate a group. It would certainly eliminate the need to multibox for a lot of people.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Group content is so easy now with the FTP accounts that I don't think they could make it easier. Unless they came over and played it for you.:)eek: Bad visual of eq employee in my house, dropping chips everywhere and letting dog run loose) I mean if you don't even play the second char but just use the merc attached to it then you have the solution. I started my own group that way and now have an army. It got out of control.
    moogs likes this.
  5. Wanderica New Member

Yeah, I've been playing around with 2 boxing a SK and Wiz today,and after trying it I have to admit, it's pretty fun. Once I get my bars and all properly setup it'll be cake micromanaging 3 at once. Group content later should be no problem. I can maybe see it posing a few unique challenges later on, but I guess that's just part of the fun. :)
  6. CrazyLarth Augur

box 3 toons can have 3 mercs
  7. Anhari Augur

How do you do this? Group with 1st account, pop the merc then just sit the 2nd account toon in POK? Does the merc follow 1st toon in adventures without the 2nd toon?

I thought the merc's are "tethered" to their owners.

Please enlighten me.
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Uh no. When I said "you don't even have to play the second char" I meant it (the second char) could auto follow you around and you would not have to put a lot of time and effort into playing it. Something like a ranger that you could put on auto shoot. The merc will attack or heal whatever the group role is set to. For example: I park my 3 boxes at an area, take my ranger out to pull (he is marked puller) and when I return to the area all the mercs from those 3 boxes come out and play! The tank tanks, the healer heals and the caster casts. I don't do much with the actual char that have the mercs.
  9. Dreamryder New Member

How about a server that let you have more than 1 merc out at a time :) !
    Boxing has always ruined the fun of feeling like you are in the world vs you are now running a team in a game ....
  10. Peechka Journeyman

You still have to play the second and or third character. If you dont, their skills will lag behind and will be useless later on. And as you get better with controlling 3 characters, you will want to utilize all of them in some way.

I recommend a program called IS boxer. There are others, but i have not used the others so cannot comment. Its like $10 for 3 months and allows you to configure your box setup so that controlling one character, you can send commands to the second and third character by use of hotbars on first character . It also allows for fast switching of characters by slick setup on one monitor. It also has advanced features that you can really go hog wild in configuring the hell out of it, but I just use the base stuff. there is a learning curve, but they have easy setups for beginners. You will probably struggle for first 10 leves or so, but once you get it down it will be like second nature.

I recommend something easy to start, like say a melee character like a warrior where you can just hit auto attack, and maybe a caster of some sort. Now you can switch to your second character and maybe do some nukes or a slow, or just heal or haste your warrior, say a shaman, or maybe a mage. Third could be a CC class like ench or bard where you can really maximize your 3 box setup to take on group content.

This allows you to have up to 3 mercs, like a healer 2 tanks to start, then slowly replace the tanks with DPS casters or whatever when your tank finally takes over as real tank for group.
  11. Kezik Lorekeeper

What would I do if I had a million dollars?
    I'll tell you what I'd do man, two mercs at the same time,man.
  12. Peechka Journeyman

Why not 3, or 4, or hell man, go all the way and give us 5, lol.