EQ Newb Here ...

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Wanderica, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Wanderica New Member

So I'm basically new to EQ. However, I did play p99 for a week or so, and I played FFXI quite a bit back in its heyday, so group-centric MMOs are not foreign to me. I've been MMOing since 2001 or so, and I honestly have no idea why (or even how) I haven't picked up EQ seriously in the last 17 years. Better late than never though, as they say. Let's just say that after decades of development, EQ's world is absolutely massive, and I'm left with a question or 2 (or 20).

Finding PoK was easy, so navigation isn't too bad once you get through all the clutter on the map packs I downloaded. There's a bunch of stuff to see in this game, and I'm a little unsure where to start. I've settled on a Druid on FV, and between my nukes / heals and my Merc's godlike status, we pretty much melt whatever we've managed to drag out of its hiding place so far. I should see mid 30s today, and by the end of the weekend, I'll be knocking on the door of post 50 content if not flying past it. I realize that one cannot hope to experience all of EQs various things these days for a multitude of reasons, but I'd like to take my time and do as much as possible.

What can players reasonably hope to do solo these days? My return to FFXI last year was amazing for this as they let you fill out a full party with your very own NPC posse. What can Brutus the Regenerative Tank Merc do to help me accomplish older stuff? I know EQ is extremely top heavy these days and finding groups at the early level (especially with my night shift schedule) is difficult to say the least. I don't mind outleveling things and going back in to faceroll older stuff. I just want to see it and collect all the little story and lore pieces that I can while Norrath is still relatively new to me.

Second, does EQ have any "must do" tasks or quests? FFXI still has quite a few of these, mostly due to its focus on story. EQ2, for another example, pretty much requires one to do their epic weapon quest, and then the following questline to obtain the ability from the weapon. You wouldn't know this without research or a little veteran guidance.

Lastly, are there any repositories of information that are still updated regularly? Google is great but guides and information starts at 2003 and spans the entire life of this game. It seems everything but leveling guides are a crap shoot as to whether the information is still relevant.

Oh, and I'm not really interested in TLP servers. The time I have to play these days is just too limited and sporadic, plus, I kinda like the lost feeling of being in a world that feels so massive and intimidating. Somehow I don't think the TLP servers would feel the same.
  2. Tereil Elder

Relatively, you can solo/molo enough content to keep you busy for a long time. If you get into boxing, you can 'solo' the entire group game.
    Tank merc will probably be great for you up to the 70s content. The new merc upgrades on test are seeming nice and might be able to get you farther.

There's nothing required of you in EQ. Find a quest line and go for it. /ach heros journey is a good start at lower levels. Personally, Planes of power (post 50), Lost Dungeons of Norrath, dragons of norrath, call of the forsaken, and empires of kunark have been my favorites so far for content.

EQ Allakhazam, EQResource are two very good repositories for information.
  3. moogs Augur

Hi. Yes, there are several. Tereil listed a couple of the big ones:

eq.zam.com (my personal favorite, it has nearly everything)
    www.eqresource.com (best source of info for the most recent expansions)
    http://almarsguides.com/eq/leveling/
    eqtraders.com
    raidloot.com

If I were you, I would start with this place:

http://www.paullynch.org/eqguide/ (check out What to Do and When + All the Good Quests!)
    Felicite likes this.
  4. Gundolin Augur

There are no must do's for the first 90 or so levels. Eventually if you want to raid you'll need to work on progression for current content, and maybe one expansion before but other than that its pretty wide open. Most of the locks are removed on older content.

Your FTP Tank can solo anything as stated for quite awhile, and if you are on a paid account he can solo even better. But as a druid one of your group rolls will be healer, if you want to practice it at all solo you might want to try using the Wizard Merc on Burn, and try and keep him alive. Not important for game play but it might help when you start finding groups later on.

EQResources is an amazing site but won't cover anything until you reach House Of Thule (level 83'ish). For the levels you are in the 2003 guides you are finding, may be the best out there. The lower level content is pretty stagnant. I think this is a good guide for 1-105 that is under 3 years old if you want to follow it. http://almarsguides.com/eq/gettingstarted/guide/

Welcome and enjoy.
  5. Wanderica New Member

Thanks everyone. Good to know I can just relax and do whatever. I've missed being able to do my own thing. I'm glad EQ hasn't lost that. That paullynch.org site looks like a good resource. I hadn't found that one yet. Good call on heals practice too. I like healing in MMOs, but wouldn't have thought to try on a DPS merc.
  6. Anhari Augur

I like that advice too *DPS merc* since I love to do then healing role in groups and my cleric (lvl 61) is a bit rusty/. He and my 61 Warrior are both on FV so in a few levels we could group up, although I am playing on Xenogy ATM, but I am wanting to work on my epics and get better with my characters that I started this game with back 17 years ago!

EQTraders (as the name implies) is for all things Tradeskill Related, including TLP and Recant developments. We all love the DenMum (and her cookies), so be kind when you meet her! (and her husband is house trained and doesn't bite unless you are a gnome!)