Are you guys actually able 2 run a proper server service?!?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Geibahik, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Geibahik Journeyman

Everyone is tired of the constant problems. Handle the problems and compensate for the fact that there are thousands of players that cant log in to play, that most of us pay our hard earned money on.
    toodlem and Greyrok like this.
  2. Porcelain New Member

It was down for over 2 hours before they even put a message up saying it was down. Maybe they couldn't log in to post that it was down lol..... yah... right...
    toodlem and Greyrok like this.
  3. Ellron00 Journeyman

Look takes time to get things fixes its 7am over in cali people have to sleep and when things like this happen in early hours not everyone is there to magically fix it in 30 seconds to please everyone. Take a chill pill and relax its not the end of the world that you cant play.
  4. Greyrok New Member

... but what if it is Elly?
  5. Geibahik Journeyman

Normally I dont say much about it except to say this is messed up but it been happening everyday for a few weeks now. Either get better hardware, software, or better coders. Just incase you didnt know they do have servers and offices in Texas as well.
    moogs and toodlem like this.
  6. Hostile Meat Wizard Elder

This "it's 7am there, give them a break" stuff is nonsense and you should be ashamed for buying into it.

Any tech company worth their salt will have 24/7 staffing, even if it's just a single lowly operator to keep an eye on server status and report problems -- or at the very least there should be automated scripts that will notify people if the scripts can't fix the problem by (re)starting services. And it's not a huge step from there to have the script post a simple status update letting customers know that people are aware of the problem and are working on it.

I've been there as a sysadmin at a company that didn't even have nearly as many customers as DBG does. If something went down we'd be there to fix the problem (or remote in if it was possible) no matter what time it was. DBG has either made too many staffing cuts or they just don't care.
  7. Exmortis_MT Augur

Despite some of the over the top reactions, this one has it spot on.

DBG customers pay for 24/7 service and access. Yes interruptions occur, everyone...well most....ok some get that. However, if you offer a 24/7 service you must also support a 24/7 service.

The worst thing here is, they finally remembered they have paying customers and posted a communication, then promptly removed it. You know, because customer care and service are a top priority.......Obviously.
    arwilly likes this.
  8. toodlem Elder

Are you kidding? for the love of God... go to Daybreak on Facebook and just look over the past year at how many days they have posted about the login server being down. It's pathetic. People are not only upset about being unable to log in today, but are more upset about the lack of ability to provide a stable playing experience.
  9. Muph New Member

It's been four days, not "its 7 am over in cali". Please check your ignorance at the door.
  10. Exmortis_MT Augur

Time zones are a powerful force for evil.
  11. TarewMarrForever Augur

People, please, STOP DEFENDING DBG!!!

They either have an inept 24/7 NOC, and *NO* 24/7 NOC. If you don't know what a NOC is, don't reply to this post. You are not qualified to comment. ;-)

The fact is, Login was down for TWO HOURS before there was a peep here on the forums, or thorugh any customer support or social media channel. And sorry, the post saying it was down 2 days ago doesn't count. Or the 5 days before that. Or the day before that when it was down. Those are separate incidents.

It matters NOT what time of day it was or whether people were sleeping or not. I can't believe people would actually use that as an excuse to defend DBG.

This is 2017. This is a game service provider with TENS if not hundreds of thousands of subscribers across numerous games.

NO CRITICAL SERVICE should EVER be down for > 2 minutes without somebody in the 24/7 NOC knowing about it, and fixing it. Part of the monitoring should, ideally, AUTOMATICALLY alert social media of the outage, but at a bare minimum, MUST post to the site status page and any support forums that exist, so that players are not left in the dark. THIS IS IN DBG'S OWN BEST INTEREST TO DO THIS! It cuts down on CSR tickets.

That is the BARE MINIMUM expected of an online service in 2017.

The last THREE online games I've worked on all had this. It's not hard to do.

Downtimes happen, that is unavoidable. Clearly something big happened here because they've been on it for an hour and it's still fracked. But the fact is, it should NOT take two hours to get a notification that there is a problem.

It isn't like this is the first time. By my count, this is the 6th time in a month that login hasn't worked for an extended period of time (15 minutes or more).

That is simply unacceptable.
    Felicite and Invictvs like this.
  12. Exmortis_MT Augur

Though personally I am back end engineering, we have a set rule for operational outages.

15 minutes or less a communication to management when restored.
    greater than 15 minutes communication to management.
    Greater than 30 minutes a communication to all affected.
    greater than 2hrs, another communication to all affected.

In ALL cases, a follow up communication to all affected.

It is about respect for those who use your service.
    Leigo, moogs and Felicite like this.
  13. Grettle - Vox New Member

Has anyone considered that it may not be a DB problem? Last night I had horrid lag worse than ever, hubby said all his ps4 log-in servers were having issues, and this morning we wake up to the same problem. Also, this is not the first time that the DB log-ins have gone down in the same general time frame as the ps4 (sony) log-ins. Just seems there may be more to it perhaps.
  14. Namarta Journeyman

Possibly DBG are still using SOE login servers after they bought it?
  15. Exmortis_MT Augur

Your right, it could be that magical world wide ISP!
    Sorry not directed at you, it just brought back the old days when SoE would blame every outage on everyone's ISP. You know, since all EQ players had their internet provided by the same ISP?

Doesn't matter if the outage is with DBG or a partner service, proper communication to your paying customers is a matter of respect. Not because we earn or deserve it, but because we pay for it.
  16. Lillola Lorekeeper

Ever since last July when my Guild Hall and one character's house disappeared without a trace there has been problems. I still do not have either the Hall or the house however I was able to get two epic weapons that were located in the Hall returned from a GM. But that's all. More recently the log in problems have been problematic along with the ability to access certain zones, mainly PoK, however Bazaar and several RoF zones were also unavailable. Now with the issues of not being able to even log in to the game...makes one wonder if trying a new MMORPG not supported by DBG would be a good idea. I've invested almost 17 years in EQ and currently have six accounts so it's hard to move on but without the ability to log in and play freely the enjoyment is lessened and the thought of starting a new game is somewhat fascinating. Another problem is that I am on a two year automatic renewal for all six accounts and I'm paid up until 2018. Highly doubtful a refund would be available so I suppose I'm stuck until then. Will consider removing the automatic renewal if issues continue to ruin the game.
  17. Namarta Journeyman

So, your house started the whole thing?!
  18. TarewMarrForever Augur

Yes, considered, and immediately discounted, as I know now these things work. ;-)

The game zone servers are unaffected. I wouldn't still have two accounts logged in on Phinny otherwise.

The world server is at least (partially) up, as I can zone toons.

The network into and out of the datacenter DBG is using is fine. This is confirmed by both of the above being able to maintain a connection, and the fact that they show no PL, and the fact that tracert shows all is well.

Given all of the other weird errors when people are rarely able to get in such as missing account access, changing access levels, missing DBC, and so forth...this unequivocally points to an internal problem.
  19. Aghinem Augur

A MUD I ran a long while back had a tcl script I wrote that would autostart the game if it seg faulted. The seg fault would produce a crash report that I could do a back trace on through gdb and fix the problem later. Kinda curious if they would like to hire me to create a similar script ;)
    moogs likes this.
  20. MHD90 Journeyman

its in their history to run a game down. They don't give a crap about customer service, there have been plenty of examples of it. a solved issue to them is passing it to another person/dept. its an extremely incompetent run business model. atlest they keep busting out TLP servers for those RMTrs. I'm starting to believe that DBG host Korean farming camps, and ban others for trying to do the same. Why else would there be more failing TLP servers coming? go onto vulak server you would be the only one there, fippy is the same.

I guess that's what they call smash and grab tactics.