Casual 3 box for EoK progression - Suggestions

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Kraymerica, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Kraymerica Journeyman

Coming back and looking to work my way through EoK and just general exploring/grinding. Wondering what would be the better setup between what I have available.

SK / Shm / Bard
    Pal / Shm / Bard
    Mage / Shm / Bard
    Mage / Ench ?

Not sure how pet tanking is these days or how difficult the progression missions are with pet tanking. Also wondering what people reccomend for mercs, between wiz or rog with a dual cleric merc setup with balanced / reactive settings.

Or just screw it all and solo my necro :p
  2. Tyreel Augur

I did almost all of the last 6~ expansions when current with Ench/Necro/Wiz. Usually some of the hero missions can't be pet tanked when current at least with just one mage/necro pet.

The hero missions are pretty much not doable with pet tank in EoK. T2 Droga/Lab in general inspired me to drop Necro from my line up and start a SK. Way too frequently pet's would just implode from procs or bad rounds ect. I have a 105 mage that i tried to swap for necro and the results were not much better. About 5-10 mobs on average in to a new pet it would die unless i was spending way too much effort on the pet class to keep the pet up.
  3. Kraymerica Journeyman

Thats kinda what I was afraid of, just have to suck it up and invest the time in a real tank. Now just have to pick if I want to be a good guy or bad guy :)
  4. Alundis New Member

I've been running mage/shaman/bard since TDS, but I added a wizard for EOK. I boxed all the EOK hero missions with that setup (but didn't get all the achievements.) The EM23 earth pet tanks very well except against mobs that employ unfortunate anti-pet mechanics like judicator and damsel of decay. I would recommend a mage pet as a tank for a casual 3 box, especially if you think you can get something better than EM18.

As for mercs, even with shaman + bard buffs, the rogue merc lags behind the wizard merc in dps. However, a wizard merc's dps is rather pathetic now, and I often drop it for a cleric merc.
    Drusi likes this.
  5. IblisTheMage Augur

How about SK/Bard/Wiz or Mage, and 1-2 merc healers?
  6. Tereil Elder

While not quite to EoK progression yet, SK, Enchanter, and Magician trio have been able to handle everything (almost) that has been thrown at them. The things hat didn't work well so far were reattempted in a slower, more cautious manner, and succeeded. After playing through a chunk of EoK on my ranger, I have full faith that it could handle EoK group content no problem once geared to that point. Running two healer mercs and an almost maxed out caster merc.
  7. Drusi Augur

Wait is there that much difference between EM18 and EM23 in tanking?

I thought that current version of EM upgrades just added some DPS and some HP (maybe 5-10k )? That HP would help for some spikes I suppose.
  8. Kodjak Lorekeeper

I've been running a War/Sham/Ranger combo that has been pretty effective. Once I started getting a few EOK T2 gears the nameds got a whole lot easier. Currently bringing up a SK/Ranger/Bard set to see if that will roll. Pets can certainly to T1 trash and some T1 nameds, but would be hard pressed on T2 for what it appears that you're looking into. The thing i noticed between the sk and war is in the unattended mitigation while swapping toons. On war i can pop two discs on a named and bring in ranger and get his macros going. Sham just makes it easy. Of course i have not tried the caster route as of yet for dps (toons still a tad too low yet) but thats on my list.
  9. Corak Elder

I have been boxing through EoK T2 with War/Ench/Wiz or War/Ench/Mage, using 2 healer mercs and a wiz merc. I like 2 healer mercs because it happens fairly often when boxing that I do not pick up an add quickly enough and they kill a healer merc. Having a second healer merc up prevents a wipe, so it is worth it in time savings. I don't even need to stop, just mez and blur whatever is in camp when the dead merc is ready to revive. Having two healer mercs also lets me keep the WAR in dual wield stance, for a lot more dps. He is my highest dps character, even beating the wizard, in a trash pull environment without any burns running.

Same thing with having both a real tank and an ench to deal with adds and big pulls. Either the WAR or the ENCH individually could usually cope with a 3-4 pull on their own if I am prepared and on my game, but it is so nice to have both tanking and CC approaches in an EoK T2 dungeon. It is fun to approach a room full of mobs with lots of options for controlling the situation.

So to the OP question, I would recommend for an EoK 3 box: Real Tank(your fav) / Ench / DPS(your fav), with 2 healer mercs and a wiz merc.