Monk

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Paravar, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Paravar Journeyman

Hi guys,

Thinking of playing a monk and wanted to know the state they are in now. Will be duoing with a friend and playing solo/molo. How are monks in these departments? Are they a diffulcult class to play? How is their dps? No experience with the melee classes and the monkly business site seems to be gone. Any info appreciated!
  2. shimazuul Journeyman

Monks are still very good melee dps. We tank pretty well, but don't expect to tank every named appropriate to your level. You should be able to molo dark blues with a healer merc all day long. However like any class how good is directly attributable to gear and AAs. The good news is that monks don't have nearly as many AAs as most other classes but what we get are very important.

Monks are pretty easy to play once you get a few hot keys up for defense and burns. You can basically get anywhere in the game by feign flopping past mobs. You can heal 2/3 of a bar every 90 seconds. It is a class for people that don't like to be pigeon holed into a single function.
  3. ShammyAlt Journeyman

They are pretty dope in the group game, especially solo/duo. They are not as dependent on support as other melee DPS due to the amount of skill attack damage they have. Good DPS, most classes are difficult to play top end, but Monks aren't anything special in that department. You need to spam a lot of kicks/keys since ~40% of their DPS comes from skill attacks, not just autoattack. So I would not say "difficult" but you have to pay attention. They tank very well up to EoK. Can still get it done in EoK but it is difficult. FD and Mend are awesome as shimazuul mentioned. Correction though, Mend heals 50% every 30 seconds when maxed out, not 2/3 every 90 seconds.

Questions:
    Are you going to raid?
    - Monk DPS is not as gear dependent as other classes. You can still do good DPS in group gear since a lot of their DPS is from skill attacks. Tanking is very gear dependent with every class.

What class does your friend play?
    - Could effect whether or not Monk is optimal pair. Fun > optimization though, and they are a very fun class.
  4. Lisard Silly

Just go SK(it'll be far more rewarding currently), can super tank(yes even in group gear) and do about same+ dps as a monk(esp. when tanking!). Tell your friend to go Zerker. grab 2 healer mercs and be an unstoppable force lol.
  5. lucienne New Member

Would monks be able to tank fairly well with bard and shaman support?
  6. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Tankability sure. Agro wise, no. They have a tough time holding agro off people auto attacking.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  7. Gumby Augur

Fairly well? No.

If a real tank dies, can a Monk step up and not go splat instantly? Sure, but you're not going to get very far with a Monk as the main tank for a group.

I'm not counting just grinding because just about anyone can do that.

Droga is probably the only group mission in EoK you could manage with that and that's a maybe. There are a lot of named that you won't stand a chance against as well.

Monks are average to below average DPS compared to real DPS classes and marginally better than Bards at tanking.

In your setup, a SK will be a much better choice. They can DPS just as well and are a massively superior tank.
  8. Paravar Journeyman

Thx all for responding,

Don't really plan on raiding. Mainly duo and solo. Friend is playing a SK and i didn't really want to play a healer and i've played casters before (been quite awhile tho) figured i'd try a melee. We will be on FV server so gear not so much a problem. What classes are considered better dps than monks atm? I know berserkers and wizards for sure not sure of others. Aren't berserkers fairly average dps without all the adps buffs? Still trying to figure all of this out, lol.
  9. ShammyAlt Journeyman

Since your friend is already an SK and you also want to be able to solo in group gear when needed, and you want to try melee, all things considered, I'd say Monk would be a good choice. Or Beastlord so you guys always have haste/buffs/slows/spot heals. Going to have a tough time soloing on a zerker or rogue.

Also, I think you're right that a zerker would be average DPS with just an SK in group, but I don't play one...
  10. Thunderkiks Augur

Absolutely. I run a monk, bard, and shammy. I am my groups tank and did the EoK progression and hero tasks. I was TBM full raid geared at the time though. Wasn't easy by any means but was doable. The aggro is an issue and I wish I could get a taunt button =)
  11. Shadyen New Member

Is that true that an SK can out dps a Monk? I just started a new Monk on Phinny, if that's the case across the board I may need to re-roll.
  12. Gundolin Augur

From raid parses and group experience I have not found that to be true as a rule.
  13. dwish Augur

It's never a good idea to pick a flavor of the month class just because they are currently on top of whatever metric is being used. What's overpowered today probably won't be in 6 months. Play what you enjoy.
    Gundolin likes this.
  14. Gumby Augur

[IMG]

Anyone that says differently, plays with bad SK's. You can't go by raid parses because SK's usually have more important things to do with tanking.
  15. Xanathol Augur

In EoK, any tank can compete with a monk. Monks and beasts could use a bit of attention. From a TLP perspective, that is a loooong ways away.
  16. Sarcogian Augur

I'm so glad I retired. I almost shed a tear at some of this information.
    Someone tell povar.splos sarcogian says hi.
  17. Xikteny Augur

I'll do that if I ever manage to log in again, myself.
    Sarcogian likes this.
  18. Picard Journeyman

Texted him last night Sarc and the response I got was a typical Splos type of mystical weird monk type of thing haha. Something along the lines of wishing my brother well on his vision quest and that sort of thing LOL. He's probably like that because Xikteny revealed the secret he's been hiding all this time. He's really a wizard hah!

As for the rest I have learned to just ignore most of the nonsense. To the original poster, monks are awesome and can do so many things. If you love the class you play you can get very good at it and do some really fun stuff. Go with what you love as someone else stated very well. That matters a whole lot more than anything else because class balance is constantly changing and too many fools never seem to get that. It is true for all classes really. Every class has cool aspects that you can incorporate into whatever play style works best for you.

Monks are total sweetness and manage to hold up well whether times are good or bad for them individually. The idiots who say omgosh either play an SK or don't even sign up for EQ are not worth listening to. Having said that, if you try out an SK and find you love being one then that's what you should go for. Not because some tool says okay you have my stamp of approval to play EQ now but because you enjoy doing what they can do and are willing to live with the fact that SKs will have their ups and downs just like everyone else at some point.
    Sarcogian likes this.
  19. Sarcogian Augur

His role playing is almost as good as his skills. And he's the best group monk I've ever seen play this game.

Op: all classes can be played well and do well in the group so long as you understand the limits of the gear/group. A monk can generate plenty of agro with the right setup (at least up until tbm) and still do DPS. Pair it with a bard shaman you have slow overhaste heals and mercs
  20. Millianna Augur

Monks are fun class to play, but sadly, they don't do as well tanking the current content. However, it's possible to do well with the previous expansion as long as you gear is decent.